Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Quoth the raven,

Lord Samwell or Lord Tyrion

Recommended Posts

Put yourself in place of a commoner.  You serve Randyll Tarly in The Reach.  Would you want Samwell to be your next lord?  Ask yourself the same question, but put yourself in place of a commoner in the Westerlands.  Do you want Tyrion as your next lord?

Which lord would do a better job at managing his lands and people? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the question is who would I rather have as my next door neighbor it'd be Sam. Sam's a great guy but he's more a support character than a leader. He'd get eaten alive by everyone if he had to try and run a land. Whatever else you want to say about Tyrion, he knows what the game is about and how to play it within his own limitations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the start of the series Tyrion, by AFFC/ADWD easily Sam. He's grown a back bone, as seen by when he fixes the election or beats the shit out of Dareon. Sam is no longer the coward who refuses to try, I genuinely think Randyl would be proud of the man Sam has grown into and would see more potential from him.

 

Tyrion is now seen as Kinslayer and Kingslayer who picks up enemies pretty easily. How could his people trust him not to sell them out when he turned on his own family?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

If the question is who would I rather have as my next door neighbor it'd be Sam. Sam's a great guy but he's more a support character than a leader. He'd get eaten alive by everyone if he had to try and run a land. Whatever else you want to say about Tyrion, he knows what the game is about and how to play it within his own limitations. 

yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a commoner, I would prefer aSoS Sam (and onwards) over Tyrion. He's astute and doesn't abide by injustice done to the weaker. Tyrion knows what's right, and often starts by trying to put things right for the common man, but gets too caught up in his petty games with his own family and the games of other players so no justice gets done after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

As a commoner, I would prefer aSoS Sam (and onwards) over Tyrion. He's astute and doesn't abide by injustice done to the weaker. Tyrion knows what's right, and often starts by trying to put things right for the common man, but gets too caught up in his petty games with his own family and the games of other players so no justice gets done after all.

Tyrion has issues which compromise his ethics.  I don't know if that is enough to make Samwell a better choice.  Samwell is a cool guy though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When push finally comes to shove, Sam stands up for others. Tyrion plays the game better and tries to get good outcomes but I don't think he'd ever sacrifice himself for someone else. With Sam I'd at least know he'd die trying to defend the small folk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair to Tyrion, I suppose I should acknowledge that he will take risks for others. Saving Young Griff from the greyscale attacker is an obvious example. Risking your life and being willing to sacrifice yourself aren't the same thing, however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Groo said:

When push finally comes to shove, Sam stands up for others. Tyrion plays the game better and tries to get good outcomes but I don't think he'd ever sacrifice himself for someone else. With Sam I'd at least know he'd die trying to defend the small folk.

Got to stick up for Tyrion a little bit here. When the stone men attacked the Shy Maid, Tyrion jumped in to protect Aegon. Before that, on his way to the Eyrie, he jumped in to defend Catelyn, even though she was the one who had taken him prisoner.

But if he ever comes back to Westeros, he'll have some obstacles in his path to lordship. He was found guilty of murdering Joffrey. And he's the number one suspect in the murder of Tywin, although no one except him knows for sure. I think the only way he can become Lord of Casterly Rock is if Dany or Aegon wins the Iron Throne. He or she could then declare him innocent and make him a lord by royal decree, as a reward for some help that he gave them in their quest. Of course, that could happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither are a good fit for leadership but Tyrion has more guts.  His own bannermen would cower Samwell.  Good for them bad for the regular folk.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I envision endless congressional hearings under Sam's rule, but it would be fascinating to watch, where Tyrion's would likely be more entertaining.  However, I would take either of them over Tywin or Randyll.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I envision endless congressional hearings under Sam's rule, but it would be fascinating to watch, where Tyrion's would likely be more entertaining.  However, I would take either of them over Tywin or Randyll.   

 

You probably would not if you were an average vassal of peasant under them. Tyrion and Sam are perceived to be weak, this is going to mean

  • their vassals do as they please and not respect the law
  • their neighbours take advantage of them and try to get away with what they can

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe both would make excellent lords. Tyrion is extremely intelligent. I also doubt Samwell will be the same ol jolly fellow after winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Samwell as long as it's peace time.  But then war could always start.  Samwell would need to marry a strong woman to help him.  Like a Mormont.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...