Videogames - The definitive Edition, remastered

Toth

I am attempting to get into Crusader Kings III, and so far failing. It's a repeat of CKII. This game requires a lot of time and energy. Do I need a notebook besides me to keep things straight? After Stellaris, I had hoped that there would have been some marginal improvement of the battle and army marching mechanics. 

32 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I am attempting to get into Crusader Kings III, and so far failing. It's a repeat of CKII. This game requires a lot of time and energy. Do I need a notebook besides me to keep things straight? After Stellaris, I had hoped that there would have been some marginal improvement of the battle and army marching mechanics. 

I just purchased it. Haven't even loaded it up, but I know from playing a bit of CKII that its not something you can just jump into. 

My greatest enjoyment from these games is just playing them without trying to min max or even win.. but just let events unfold... even if I don't really understand what I'm doing.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Half the fun is not really keeping things straight. There's far too much information to process to do that (unless you are a count in a tiny corner of the world), but most of that information isn't relevant to having a good time. I have no idea how the Innovations and Religions systems work, and they seem really important! And I've no idea what a balanced economic development looks like; I'm totally winging it. But I'm doing pretty good. I'm sure I'm nowhere close to having an optimal run (I know I didn't marry my children all that well), but its fun. No notebooks required.

Also, the army and battle system has improved (at least compared to early CK2, my frame of reference). Generic retinues are gone, and instead there's a rock-paper-scissors system of different men-at-arms companies you can maintain; which can get various buffs from the various buildings you have. Also all knights are named characters (which I think is new), so there's a risk/reward aspect to letting characters fight. Movement is still basic and fighting itself is automatic, but that's every Paradox game.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

Started playing both Wasteland 3 and Crusader Kings 3 on Gamepass (RIP to the other games I'd been working on). I'm only a few hours into Wasteland 3, but I'm not that impressed so far. It feels like a relatively generic "one of those" games so far; competently made (ignoring all the current bugs, though I haven't encountered any yet) but not doing anything special or interesting.

Yeah, I think I dodged a bullet with Wasteland 3. All the initial reviews were glowing but a second wave of reviews pointed out a lot more flaws with the game, too much to justify full-AAA price (which they were taking the piss out of with to start with, for a crowdfunded isometric CRPG).

I'm more likely to plump for Iron Harvest, which is not quite as expensive and has picked up a lot of solid buzz. Sounds like they fixed some of the issues from the beta.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Half the fun is not really keeping things straight. There's far too much information to process to do that (unless you are a count in a tiny corner of the world), but most of that information isn't relevant to having a good time. I have no idea how the Innovations and Religions systems work, and they seem really important! And I've no idea what a balanced economic development looks like; I'm totally winging it. But I'm doing pretty good. I'm sure I'm nowhere close to having an optimal run (I know I didn't marry my children all that well), but its fun. No notebooks required.

Also, the army and battle system has improved (at least compared to early CK2, my frame of reference). Generic retinues are gone, and instead there's a rock-paper-scissors system of different men-at-arms companies you can maintain; which can get various buffs from the various buildings you have. Also all knights are named characters (which I think is new), so there's a risk/reward aspect to letting characters fight. Movement is still basic and fighting itself is automatic, but that's every Paradox game.

I hate the treadmill walk of the armies. Couldn't they show the armies incrementally progress across the map?

13 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I hate the treadmill walk of the armies. Couldn't they show the armies incrementally progress across the map?

I agree that it would be an improvement, but battles and marching of armies aren't really the core gameplay of CK series. Think of it as medieval nobleman life simulator or a dynasty management game, with wars and battles as an afterthought.

14 hours ago, Heartofice said:

My initial impressions of CK3 is that if feels like pretty much every other Paradox game, but with a lick of paint.. though Paradox games are never pretty 

Stellaris can be rather pretty. A lot of stuff that you never really look at has really nice details. It is also incredible hardware hungry late game when large fleets are involved. 

It is my most played game on steam with more than 1000 h played... I did not spend all of that time paying attention though. Late game I was often just waiting for the next thing to happen and just kept it running until an auto pause event. Before I got my current PC I hit single digit FPS in late game battles if I wanted to watch them...

I gave up on it after they patched it in a direction I did not enjoy though. Well I could have lived with the gameplay changes but the AI worked ok on maxed difficulty with the more simple mechanics of earlier versions but the patches turned it into a complete non-threat. The end-game crisis mechanics were also still broken the last time I looked(and two of the three worked pretty well before things went downhill). 

The Division - the one set in NYC with a solid singleplayer campaign - is free on Uplay this week.

Ubisoft has also decided to rename their upcoming game Gods & Monsters because they thought the name was too generic, so they changed it to (cough) Immortals: Fenyx Rising, a title so astonishingly bland that I cannot remember even though it's literally on the page in front of me right now. Bizarre.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Ubisoft has also decided to rename their upcoming game Gods & Monsters because they thought the name was too generic, so they changed it to (cough) Immortals: Fenyx Rising, a title so astonishingly bland that I cannot remember even though it's literally on the page in front of me right now. Bizarre.

Hahahahaha! How could anybody think that title is a good idea?

I was definitely intrigued by Gods & Monsters (sorry- Immortals: Fenyx Rising) when they first showed it off, so I'm cautiously looking forward to seeing how it's developed. Hopefully they put all their stupid into that title and not the gameplay.

A bunch of Mario news today for the Switch, including a collection of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy out in a couple weeks, along with a port of the Wii U Mario game out in February. It's a lot of ports, but since I never had a Wii U, I'd probably pick that one up. Plus the free (for Nintendo Switch Online users) Mario Battle Royale game looks pretty intriguing...

Turns out I misunderstand CK3 succession laws; though in my defense the tooltips are super uncleari in this case. Confederate partition does what I feared, breaking my realm apart. But regular partition, which I have, means that my secondary heirs will remain vassals to my primary heir even though they get land outside the de jure kingdom. Though if I had multiple kingdom titles (or multiple of whatever my top-level title is) things would break apart. So that's one crisis averted. Though my primary heir will still end up with a personal demense much smaller than what Matilda has (who is still kicking at 60 so far), which could cause its own problems.

The HRE has implemented high crown authority, which makes it much harder for fellow vassals to attack each other and therefore limits my ability to further expand in northern Italy. I could look to southern Italy, though those lands are entirely different kingdoms (and de jure part of the Byzantine Empire at the top level) so its not as attractive. I also somewhere ended up with a few counties in North Africa that I just discovered I had; but because of a lot of factors those lands aren't that valuable to me. It looks like some of my Sardinian vassals joined up in an HRE war against the Caliphate that I didn't participate in.

Right now I'm hoping that when Henry IV finally kicks the bucket, the HRE will implode (or at least that his successor will be forced to lower crown authority again) and I'll have a lot more expansion opportunities. I also don't know how rough things will be after Matilda dies. Because of her very high personal prestige, her status as a crusader, and some good perks she's picked up over her 40 years of rule, she's got a +80 opinion bonus with every Catholic in the game, and +100 with her vassals. Which means that basically everyone loves her always and I can completely ignore important aspects of the game. Things might implode spectacularly for me when she dies.

3 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

A bunch of Mario news today for the Switch, including a collection of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy out in a couple weeks.

Oddly they say this is only going to be on sale until march. Weird as hell. I may actually buy a physical copy just in case I have to switch switches and they won't let you re-download it. (which would be ridiculous but you never know) 

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Mind telling me what the earliest start date is? Please says it's before 900.

If my brain is correct CK2's earliest start date with DLC was around 860 or so.

I hope CK3's is at least that early with base game.

CK3's earliest start data is 867 AD, I believe.

Aaaaagh! Those goddamn Status Quo interventions! I'm getting increasingly pissed off in my Victoria 2 run as no matter what I do, the entire world gangs up on me anyway. Britain is blissfully picking China clean, but every time I try to do the same I'm getting attacked by the USA, Russia and France. Then I got a Casus Belli to take a colony from Portugal and immediately Britain swerved in to attack me.

It's 1890 and I made the mistake of looking how some Youtubers did at that time playing with Japan and they pretty much already painted Africa with the Japanese colors while my only achievents have been Korea, Hawaii, Brunei, Johore and Oman. I'm just now starting to colonize Pacific islands and Somalia, but it's all pointless at this point anyway as I am not even a Great Power. I had been extremely briefly after westernizing, but got immediately kicked out by Ecuador of all countries after they made a rapid industrialization. It seems I still have no clue how to industrialize. My income is extremely high, but my industrial ranking is still garbage at 200 or so. Is it because I have not enough workers? According to the ledger 26% of my population are workers, but most factories are still quite empty.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Oddly they say this is only going to be on sale until march. Weird as hell. I may actually buy a physical copy just in case I have to switch switches and they won't let you re-download it. (which would be ridiculous but you never know) 

That is so weird. Digital too? I really don't know what they're thinking; will sales really be increased that much by FOMO? Especially during this pandemic when peoples' incomes can vary greatly, it seems like a pretty heartless tactic.

1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

That is so weird. Digital too? 

I don't know for sure but that's what video game sites are reporting. 

Downloading Crusader Kings III now. I don't know that I ever played II without the mod. I'm so used to massive console games that I cleared up to space but the download is only 5 gigs. 

34 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I finished Ghost of Tsushima, at least the main story. I got lots of other things to just do but in no rush to do that. 

About the ending:

Spoiler

What did you choose? I didn’t hesitate and killed Shimura. I loved when Jin tells him he’s a slave to honor, because he was and it was annoying. The white armor you get for that ending is awesome too.

Great game, but by part 3 fatigue was setting in. It got really repetitive and a lot of the upgrades and moves you get throughout the game felt OP. 

Archived