Videogames - The definitive Edition, remastered

Toth

Well, it was much delayed, but the Mongol invasion has finally begun in earnest. I don't quite know what happened, I was pretty caught up in a cycle of Egyptian rebellions which still aren't entirely under control. But my best guess from what I can tell, the existing Mongol kingdom ("Mongolia") defeated and destroyed Genghis Khan's Mongol Empire. However, that freed up the country tag 'Mongol Empire' and Mongolia, meeting all the requirements for it, adopted the tag itself since the AI knows an empire tag is an improvement over a kingdom tag.

And since Mongolia controlled a decent chunk of land, I think this caused a trigger for the new Mongol Empire to get a whole lot of additional troops from nowhere to keep up the invasions. I checked, and the Emperor has 40,000 personal troops; more than anyone else in the game besides me. And with those lands being so poor and underdeveloped, the only way I can see that happening is from pre-scripted events. Regardless, the Empire is in the process of absorbing all the other tribal rulers and is pretty close to butting up against the Tibetan kingdoms (which I think are weak), the Indian kingdoms (which are very strong), the Seljuk Empire (which should be strong, though the Emperor has almost no power himself), and Ruthenia (a Russian kingdom that somehow has not had to deal with any kingdom-level partitions all game and therefore been able to grow pretty impressively over the centuries).

I look forward to the fight, if the Mongols can get past all those enemies, as well as the resurgent Byzantine Empire and the still relatively strong HRE (which I've been allied with for a while). In the mean time, I've been launching the renaissance early in Italy (not literally, but I might as well be). I haven't been able to conquer anything in a while since, basically like clockwork, I've had to deal with mass rebellions in Egypt every 2-3 years that take my whole army to put down. So instead I've been using my obscene wealth on an endless wave of infrastructure building. Which in turn produces even more money; it's a vicious cycle of prosperity. It also builds up my levy size, and number of men-at-arms I can support, to some pretty crazy levels. If I can just get Egypt under control (and thanks  to some recent ruler perks, conversions should be smoother for the next generation), I'll be unstoppable.

In between bouts of Italia Empire antics, I've been playing the new/remaster Tony Hawk 1+2. It's a blast seeing those old levels again, and nostalgic just playing a skateboarding game (which I don't think I've done in at least 15 years). But man do I suck at it; and I was really good at the original versions 20 years ago too. At least it's got the same dope soundtrack to listen to as I bail over and over again.

I played Hitman tonight and it was pretty fun.  I like how the game is mostly stealth.  So far it is anyway but I only played long enough to take my training test and kill the guy with the ejector seat.  Now I'm in Paris and will play again at some point. 

Got an email from GoG that Shadow Tactics is 85% off.  I don't know that I will ever have time to play it, but I know it comes highly recommended around here so for five-ish bucks, I grabbed it.

6 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I played Hitman tonight and it was pretty fun.  I like how the game is mostly stealth.  So far it is anyway but I only played long enough to take my training test and kill the guy with the ejector seat.  Now I'm in Paris and will play again at some point. 

Such a fun game. My advice would be to replay Paris a bunch killing the targets different ways before moving on to Sapienza. You can rush through the game real quick, but the real fun is just messing around in the sandboxes.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Got an email from GoG that Shadow Tactics is 85% off.  I don't know that I will ever have time to play it, but I know it comes highly recommended around here so for five-ish bucks, I grabbed it.

Sweet.

It's not the longest game in the world but reasonably decent in length (30ish hours).

Another sad CK 3 story. 

I got a random event about a murderer going through the castle butchering people. 

The third person murdered was my character’s only grandchild. The kid was 8. 

After another 2 murders I finally track down the killer. 

It was my son the whole time. That psycho. I mean, his own child.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Another sad CK 3 story. 

I got a random event about a murderer going through the castle butchering people. 

The third person murdered was my character’s only grandchild. The kid was 8. 

After another 2 murders I finally track down the killer. 

It was my son the whole time. That psycho. I mean, his own child.

Perchance, is your capital named The Nightfort?

On 9/10/2020 at 3:32 PM, RumHam said:

Xbox Game Pass for PC is doubling its price next week

They gave me the first month for a $1, which I thought was weird because I'd already used it on my Xbox. Just saying anyone who wants to try CKIII should probably take that deal now. 

Yeah, I don't find it worth it for that price I guess.

Although CK3 was fun for the several hours I've tried it, I think I'll wait until the naval mechanics are properly implemented. Ships don't currently exist as in-game units - instead, they magically appear when overseas transport is needed, and you are charged in gold based on the distance and the number of transported troops. It makes the Viking naval raids, a major fun part of CK2, pretty much pointless, especially since you can't easily hop into a waiting fleet to flee a chasing army.

However, it did introduce a craving to go back to CK2, so I'll think I'll spend the next month or two hunting the achievements I'm still missing.

16 minutes ago, Gorn said:

Although CK3 was fun for the several hours I've tried it, I think I'll wait until the naval mechanics are properly implemented. Ships don't currently exist as in-game units - instead, they magically appear when overseas transport is needed, and you are charged in gold based on the distance and the number of transported troops. It makes the Viking naval raids, a major fun part of CK2, pretty much pointless, especially since you can't easily hop into a waiting fleet to flee a chasing army.

However, it did introduce a craving to go back to CK2, so I'll think I'll spend the next month or two hunting the achievements I'm still missing.

I prefer the ship mechanics in CK3 to be honest. I found ships in paradox games to be very clumsily implemented and just adding one more thing to remember to do. 

Right now as a Viking raider it still takes a long time to board ships meaning I’ve been caught out by armies a few times. No problem with that.

Interesting stuff from the PS5 Showcase.

Hogwarts Legacy is a big Harry Potter open-world game set a century before the books. Avalanche has been working on this for years and it's looking pretty good. Of course, they could have found a better time to announce it, but they couldn't predict the author would self-destruct in the interim. No confirmation if this is a Sony exclusive.

Final Fantasy XVI got a surprise announcement, mainly because a lot of people weren't expecting the game until after the FF7 Trilogy was completed. This looks like a back-to-basics game. Crystals, a medieval setting, magic, swords, chocobos (natch). Variation on the XV and Remake combat systems. FF16 is apparently console exclusive to PS5, but will get a PC release as well.

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

PS5 revealed the price.  $499 for the standard edition.  $399 for digital.

Reasonable in my book.

Oooh, shots fired. The PS5 Digital is the full PS5 console with just the optical drive removed, right? So it's the same hardware. Whilst the X-Box Series S is actually a downgrade, with less powerful components.

The PS5 Digital is also only launching at £30 more expensive than the price of a Switch. That's a solid tactical move by Sony.

Also they have a release date, 12 November.

Just now, Werthead said:

Oooh, shots fired. The PS5 Digital is the full PS5 console with just the optical drive removed, right? So it's the same hardware. Whilst the X-Box Series S is actually a downgrade, with less powerful components.

That's a solid tactical move by Sony.

Also they have a release date, 12 November.

That's my understanding.  I'm half tempted to get two.  One of the standard editions for myself and the digital for my son.  That may be a next year thing for him though.

Archived