Videogames - The definitive Edition, remastered

Toth

7 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Evil Within 1 and 2. The second I loved so much, the first was pretty average and not so great.

I love Evil Within 2.  Great game.

I don't know much about horror games but I keep meaning to try The Dark Pictures Anthology stuff. 

Also The Observer...which I see now is first person so I'm out. 

Rock Paper Shotgun continues its recent downward trend - I didn't really follow Matthew's video content but Sin Vega's writing was among the best and most interesting that remained on the site and I'll really miss it. The site's really been making its way right down the shitter over the past few years which really sucks because it was pretty much the only gaming news site I actually liked.

10 hours ago, Toth said:

Mmh... I'm not much for horror games, but looking through my library... huh... I heard Layers of Fear is good? Even if it's mostly just jump scares. Never played it though, I just got it when they gave it away for free. My pile of shame also contains the FEAR series, Alien Isolation and two Amnesia titles.

Also, since I am currently back in the Higurashi fever, I cannot help but mention that the first Higurashi VN is still available for free on Steam or GOG:

It's not necessarily a game and I'm not sure whether it qualifies as "scary as shit". It's more of a "What the fuck is going on?" mindscrew thriller where the unreliable narration challenges you to find out the truth while your main POV characters devolve into madness. Also it's Anime style, which may be not everybody's cup of tea. Here a neat AMV of what awaits you, using the Anime adaptation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaEe6eY798c

It is a really clever story and has terrific characters.

Hmmmm--Higurashi looks like Doki Doki Literature Club, which also played games with you the player. I'll look into it, thanks!

Alien Isolation I have too, and I stopped playing when the alien finally showed up and started looking for me. I couldn't handle it. It looks like I know what I have to do.

6 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I love Evil Within 2.  Great game.

I don't know much about horror games but I keep meaning to try The Dark Pictures Anthology stuff. 

Also The Observer...which I see now is first person so I'm out. 

Thanks for both of those. I loved Until Dawn, and I've been meeting to get that first game in the Dark Pictures Anthology. That might be just what I need!

The Observer also looks cool. I like detective gameplay with my scares lately.

3 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Hmmmm--Higurashi looks like Doki Doki Literature Club, which also played games with you the player. I'll look into it, thanks!

Well, they look certainly similar due to both being Visual Novels. Funny that you mention it. Doki Doki Literature Club is a fun little thing playing with the tropes of typical dating sims and then going meta. The When They Cry series does love going meta as well and loves its rollercoaster-like genre shifts, but while Higurashi implicitly challenges the reader with mystery, paranoia and mind screws, it doesn't completely tear down the Fourth Wall like Doki Doki Literature Club. That's what its successor Umineko does and does absolutely magnificiently.^^

I guess if you are indeed going for the first Higurashi VN I should better not say much in general about the plot since the story is rather self-explanatory. I should just warn you that every Higurashi chapter starts out as light-hearted slice of life comedy about a club of children playing games after school in a remote mountain village, but... well... this village has of course its dark secrets and all the kids are connected with them one way or another, setting up a brilliantly complex web of conflicting motivations that trigger a tragedy of Shakespearean proportion. I can just say that I came to the Higurashi Anime some 8 years ago after seeing it on top of a list of the most disturbing Anime of all times and wanted to watch it for the hell of the thrill, but then also read the manga and played the VN because it is such a cleverly constructed story and characters are all complex and lovable, even if they keep getting driven over the edge.

Though there is one thing: If you play the VN, please do yourself a favor and download the PS3-patch: https://github.com/07th-mod/onikakushi

This one adds significantly better looking sprites and drawn backgrounds than the derpy ones for the PC.

21 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I always feel bad during CK3 when I look in my dungeons and realize I still have prisoners that I forgot about from a war that ended 15 years ago. 

Yeah, I do that all the time. It's good to have a ready crop of prisoners though, so you always have someone to execute if you need to up your dread some. Sidenote, I really hope dread gets nerfed in a patch; it's too powerful, and there's no downside to it.

I've finished by Italia campaign. Technically I could play another 100 years, possibly get a world conquest or at least come close. But that doesn't seem fun. I'm the empire of Italia, Francia, Hispania, and Maghreb; I have about 4 times as many levies as anyone else, a maxed out men-at-arms army, I've finished the tech tree, mostly finished every improvement I can build in my personal demense (and the return is far too low to be building in vassals' lands), getting almost 200 gold per month, and stabilized things to the point that successions are painless. I won.

I could start a new game, but I think I'm going to wait a bit. This is an amazing foundation, and I really liked the 30 or so hours this campaign took, but there's a lot of improvements and QoL changes I'd like to see patched in before I start up again.

I just saw The Long Dark is out on switch. Love that game and will have to buy it again. I guess I should get the mario collection while I can too. 

The Mass Effect remaster that's still not official but leaked everywhere seems to be coming to switch too.

14 minutes ago, Poobah said:

So Microsoft just bought Zenimax / Bethesda for $7.5 billion. Guess they really wanted to secure Skyrim for the NextBox.

Edit: Sources [1] [2]

You think this is another Minecraft thing where they'll keep making Playstation games or did they pay to take Skyrim, Fallout and the space game away from Sony? 

2 hours ago, Poobah said:

So Microsoft just bought Zenimax / Bethesda for $7.5 billion. Guess they really wanted to secure Skyrim for the NextBox.

Edit: Sources [1] [2]

You mean Redfall (the working title for Elder Scrolls VI)? They're not going to remove Skyrim from existing platforms, any more than they did for Minecraft.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I just saw The Long Dark is out on switch. Love that game and will have to buy it again. I guess I should get the mario collection while I can too. 

The Mass Effect remaster that's still not official but leaked everywhere seems to be coming to switch too.

You think this is another Minecraft thing where they'll keep making Playstation games or did they pay to take Skyrim, Fallout and the space game away from Sony? 

There is no way in hell that Microsoft lets Nu-Doom 3Starfield, Redfall and Fallout 5 go to PS5. That's not happening. The only Bethesda games that will now come out on PS5 are the ones Sony already paid exclusivity for, Deathloop and GhostWire: Tokyo (and I don't rule out Microsoft buying out those contracts).

It also allows Microsoft to let their studios collaborate, so inXile or Obsidian (or both) could make Fallout 5 (which everyone would lose their shit over), although I think it's unlikely that they'll start messing around too much with IPs in the first instance. The games in development right now will certainly all stay where they are. It does make Avowed feel a bit redundant though; why make your own Elder Scrolls when you've literally just bought the Elder Scrolls IP?

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

You mean Redfall (the working title for Elder Scrolls VI)? They're not going to remove Skyrim from existing platforms, any more than they did for Minecraft.

There is no way in hell that Microsoft lets Nu-Doom 3Starfield, Redfall and Fallout 5 go to PS5. That's not happening. The only Bethesda games that will now come out on PS5 are the ones Sony already paid exclusivity for, Deathloop and GhostWire: Tokyo (and I don't rule out Microsoft buying out those contracts).

It also allows Microsoft to let their studios collaborate, so inXile or Obsidian (or both) could make Fallout 5 (which everyone would lose their shit over), although I think it's unlikely that they'll start messing around too much with IPs in the first instance. The games in development right now will certainly all stay where they are. It does make Avowed feel a bit redundant though; why make your own Elder Scrolls when you've literally just bought the Elder Scrolls IP?

Cuphead ended up on both Switch and PS4. I could see Microsoft allowing some smaller games to get over to other systems. Not the system sellers. But the others, that's just extra money for them.

Wow. That's pretty cool. I had no idea. 

My suspicion is that the games will continue to come out on all the platforms. But there will be a lot of integration with game pass, especially on PC, and there will be some timing exclusives (like if you have gamepass you get it months earlier). But I honestly have no facts, and this is just guessing based on MS announced strategies of making gaming a service.

6 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

$7.5 billion? Didn’t they buy Minecraft for $1 billion?

I forgot that MS also own Obsidian, which reminds me that I do need to get back into   The Outer Worlds.

It's twice what Disney paid for Lucasfilm, which is feeling more like a steal every day.

Minecraft is just one game, and well past its peak now, whilst Microsoft acquiring the DoomDishonoredPreyFallout and Elder Scrolls franchises, which still have long-term appeal for that price makes a lot more sense.

25 minutes ago, Werthead said:
2 hours ago, Poobah said:

I was just being glib, I suppose I should've used an emoji to make that clearer.

Minecraft is also still quite profitable and is making a ton of money for MS, per the last year's reports. In particular while it's heyday on PC is lower, it's been really good on mobile and made something over $100m last year.

Minecraft Dungeons was also a pretty good hit. 

(also, apparently the acquisition price was $2.5bn for Minecraft)

50 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They're not going to remove Skyrim from existing platforms, any more than they did for Minecraft.

It's not just that they didn't remove Minecraft though, they also released Minecraft Dungeons for Playstation. Which I thought was weird. You're probably right that they're paying for the exclusivity. I wonder if these games end up on Steam or just the Microsoft Store. 

Confirmation that Deathloop and GhostWire will remain PS5 timed exclusives.

Apparently future game releases on PS5 will be decided on a "case by case basis" but I find it improbable in the extreme that Microsoft spent $7.5 billion not to have the next Elder Scrolls exclusive to X-Box. That really doesn't make any sense.

Sounds like a good move on MS part.  They should make another Evil Within game.

Yesterday I mostly played Arkham Knight but I also got Kingdom of Amalur and Ghostbusters from the online store.  We'll see how they go.

Baldur's Gate II is somehow 20 years old, heralding retrospectives.

I remember the game poll we did on the forum here back around 2007 where, IIRC, this ranked at #1 as the best video game of all time.

5 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Yesterday I mostly played Arkham Knight but I also got Kingdom of Amalur and Ghostbusters from the online store.  We'll see how they go.

Ghostbusters wasn't completely terrible but fell way short of its potential. Well worth playing for the voice actors who are all doing good work and also Bill Murray, who's phoned-in-don't-give-a-fuck performance is in itself art.

Archived