Videogames - The definitive Edition, remastered

Toth

5 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I replayed Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag this summer. Some of it hasn't aged well (or was never good at all: did anyone ever like those "slowly follow people from Point A to Point B listening to their conversations" missions?). But the ship combat and piracy core of the game is so immersive and fun. I finished the story missions, but I treated the real final boss of the game as being the legendary ships. And unlike Origins and Odyssey, which I enjoyed but got burnt out on, the world is a very manageable size, and a lot of the side missions are fun enough that I'm happy to do them.

Yeah.  I don't think I even really remember the plot at all.  Just sailing and upgrading the ship, plus the island is what stands out.  It may not have been the best AC game, but it was the best PIRATE game I'd played in years.

My only concern at this point is that they have raised the hype-o-meter to the point where the game cannot even remotely ever live up to it. But it looks amazing.

The other thing I hadn't cottoned on to is that all the music in the trailers is from the game, and I think with one exception (Grimes' "4ÆM") they're all original tracks created for the game, including the two in this trailer ("Heave Ho" by Konrad OldMoney and "Night City" by Arielle Sitrick, aka REL). The music so far is great, and spans a huge amount of genres (to the anger of some people who seem to think that cyberpunk should just be all synthwave, all the time).

Also, it sounds like the game has reached the point of going gold in the next couple of weeks. No more delays (touch wood).

1 hour ago, Ran said:

They think ”rockerboys” are just for show? Weirdos.

For the apparent 2% of people who know this is based on an earlier property and the 0.00003% of people who've ever played the original game, that's not a problem, but most people seem to be unaware of that, especially since Mike Pondsmith has been absent from all their recent marketing (despite leading a lot of the earlier stuff).

re Cyberpunk hype. Indeed, it's even got me, a person who actively dislikes FP perspective, seriously thinking about getting it. Fortunately I have IRL friends (I know shocking right?) who are into FPP and are hyped about Cyberpunk who will give me a realistic read on whether I will be able to overcome my dislike of FPP and enjoy the game anyway.

I saw a report saying that the day pre-orders for Xb Series X started there was a big spike in Amazon Xb OneX sales. The report is speculating that perhaps there was some name confusion and some people are going to be a bit disappointed at receiving the current gen console now when they were expecting the new gen one in just under 2 months. I'm sure it will sort itself out, but I wonder if anyone suggested in the naming meeting that Xb Series X is quite similar to Xb One X and could cause a bit of confusion for people early on in the transition between generations.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

re Cyberpunk hype

Has anyone played it yet? Gameplay is great with graphics and sounds. And Keanu reeves is terrific with his Winter soldier arm and shades. Reviews would be nice. 

And isn't it more like GTA than COD? The FP perspective I mean 

Rocket League has finally gone free to play on the Epic store, and if you get it before 23 Oct you get $10 credit in the Epic store. So really there is no excuse not to get it if you play games on PC. Unless you are boycotting Epic for some reason.

Even though I've had it on PS4 since launch I downloaded it from the Epic store today and attempted to play vs beginner bots using keyboard and mouse controls. It was horrible, I felt like I was back at the beginning of just learning how to play. So I won't be doing that again. I'll have to play a game on PC with a controller for the first time ever.

5 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Has anyone played it yet? Gameplay is great with graphics and sounds. And Keanu reeves is terrific with his Winter soldier arm and shades. Reviews would be nice. 

And isn't it more like GTA than COD? The FP perspective I mean 

Multiple journalists and streamers had a four-hour hands-on with the game. Some of them captured their gaming experience and put it on YouTube, although I think at CDPR's request they limited it to 90 minutes or under. So you can see gameplay videos here, here and here. The various sites have reports of their four-hour previews as well: IGN, Gamesradar, Gaminformer and there's a lot more out there.

I think I’ll wait to get Cyberpunk for PS 5 in 2021.

We’re too close to the next Gens for non PC purchases.

It's on PC as well (with startlingly low system requirements).

Rocket League has finally gone free to play on the Epic store, and if you get it before 23 Oct you get $10 credit in the Epic store.

That was weird. There's so many caveats on using the voucher it's almost worthless: you can't use it on DLC, you can't use it on items below £15, you can only use one per transaction, you can't use it on preorders and it expires on 1 November (so you can't use it for CP77).

Could be useful for Squadrons next week though. 

29 minutes ago, Werthead said:

That was weird. There's so many caveats on using the voucher it's almost worthless: you can't use it on DLC, you can't use it on items below £15, you can only use one per transaction, you can't use it on preorders and it expires on 1 November (so you can't use it for CP77).

The Hades + Soundtrack edition, already with a 20% discount, gets knocked down from about $25 to just under $9 with that coupon. The discount on Hades alone does fall under the guideline, but, eh, Supergiant's music is pretty good anyways.

Think I'm going to pull the lever for that one, it's too good a deal. 

Well, my first CK3 game just took an interesting turn.  I got demoted to Duke from King by my damned great-uncle  AND father-in-law!   I hadn't paid enough attention to the factions, as I was in the middle of a war.

At this point most of the british isles are Normandy cadet houses, so I figured eventually it would happen (damn partition succession).  I had my first heir die, then the second heir got wounded. . . and was no longer an acceptable heir, so kid number 3 inherited, and nobody liked him.  My king died suddenly out of the blue too.  So my son#3 started with only province too, which made things even worse (the rest went to my OTHER sons).  I was able to regain the duchy of flanders and associated lands right before I was hit by the faction, but it was too late.  

But even though he took the crown, I still have London.  And a HUGE warchest, so I was able to get the rest of the London duchy back into my control.  My Uncle also went and declared himself Emperor, something I'd been saving for later. . .the dirty bugger.

And now he's losing my Flanders duchy in a war to France!  First he steals my title, then he loses my lands! 

But I'm having a blast!  he just made me spymaster too.  He may. . .regret. . . that.

Picked up Mafia: Definitive Edition and it's not launched in the best state. Some odd framerate spikes and two crashes already.

Annoying because they've been way more faithful to the original game than I expected, with the missions directly transferring over and the cars still having that massive 1930s "driving a tank" feeling. Still not enamoured of the new voice actors, especially for Tommy, who simply is nowhere near as good as the original. Otherwise it's pretty good, when I can actually play the thing.

Meanwhile, a Metal Gear Solid (only the 1980s original and then Solid 1 and 2) has hit PC via GoG, and a Castlevania collection as well.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Picked up Mafia: Definitive Edition and it's not launched in the best state. Some odd framerate spikes and two crashes already.

Annoying because they've been way more faithful to the original game than I expected, with the missions directly transferring over and the cars still having that massive 1930s "driving a tank" feeling. Still not enamoured of the new voice actors, especially for Tommy, who simply is nowhere near as good as the original. Otherwise it's pretty good, when I can actually play the thing.

Meanwhile, a Metal Gear Solid (only the 1980s original and then Solid 1 and 2) has hit PC via GoG, and a Castlevania collection as well.

The original was just Metal Gear, they added Solid when they went 3D. (and then kept it for the underrated Gameboy Color game.)

I still need to play the real Metal Gear 2. They released Snakes Revenge as Metal Gear 2 hear in the states and it blew. 

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I still remember that damn car race... great game with awesome ending. 

On a side note I pulled the trigger on RDR2 for PC as it is on sale. I think it is one of the biggest games I ever downloaded with 110,3 GB.

10 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I still remember that damn car race... great game with awesome ending. 

On a side note I pulled the trigger on RDR2 for PC as it is on sale. I think it is one of the biggest games I ever downloaded with 110,3 GB.

It's not quite the record, which I think goes to the last Call of Duty (which for some reason has to install itself twice to make the multiplayer work, resulting in a 170 GB install!). MS Flight Sim was a 90 GB initial install but the updates took that up to around 110 GB as well, I think.

Cyberpunk 2077 is coming in at a breezy 70 GB install, which feels pretty small these days.

12 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Plot twist: That's just the tutorial! :P

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's not quite the record, which I think goes to the last Call of Duty (which for some reason has to install itself twice to make the multiplayer work, resulting in a 170 GB install!). MS Flight Sim was a 90 GB initial install but the updates took that up to around 110 GB as well, I think.

Cyberpunk 2077 is coming in at a breezy 70 GB install, which feels pretty small these days.

Still does not feel as big as BG2 which required multiple CDs back in the day. 

Archived