Videogames - The definitive Edition, remastered

Toth

2 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

If it's made by a big-name studio, is open-world, has good graphics and is third-person, it wil get rave reviews in the west.

Notice that none of those things include "actual good gameplay".

Even years after its been released its still often listed as the best PS game of all time.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Even years after its been released its still often listed as the best PS game of all time.

This in no way contradicts what I said. A game can still be hailed as magnificent while having weak actual gameplay. Think about the amount of third-person games with amazing graphical power, sound, story and character, but pretty damn shallow gameplay once you actually start playing.

9 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

This in no way contradicts what I said. A game can still be hailed as magnificent while having weak actual gameplay. Think about the amount of third-person games with amazing graphical power, sound, story and character, but pretty damn shallow gameplay once you actually start playing.

Sorry I wasn't disagreeing with your point. I'm now incredibly wary of buying any console games because they so often fall into that category. The Last of Us was probably the best playstation game I ever owned and even that could do with more game less cutscene.

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Sorry I wasn't disagreeing with your point. I'm now incredibly wary of buying any console games because they so often fall into that category. The Last of Us was probably the best playstation game I ever owned and even that could do with more game less cutscene.

It's all good. I get where you're coming from.

8 minutes ago, Alarich II said:

A question to this thread, did anyone of you get the early access version of BG3 and if so, how does it compare to its predecessor?

Which predecessor? Baldur's Gate II (in which case, not a lot) or Divinity: Original Sin II (in which case, quite a lot)?

Just now, Werthead said:

Which predecessor? Baldur's Gate II (in which case, not a lot) or Divinity: Original Sin II (in which case, quite a lot)?

Good question! I meant Baldur's Gate II - the gameplay seems to be much more like D:OS II, at least the fighting, I get that, but can BGIII recreate that feeling that you and your party are like a small family that goes out on quests and discovers an entire world like BGII did?

1 minute ago, Alarich II said:

Good question! I meant Baldur's Gate II - the gameplay seems to be much more like D:OS II, at least the fighting, I get that, but can BGIII recreate that feeling that you and your party are like a small family that goes out on quests and discovers an entire world like BGII did?

Based on the reviews the answer is yes, ish. There's a group of characters which you relatively quickly accumulate and go out on missions with and they're a diverse bunch of crazies, Whether they can be as successful as BGII is debatable. There seems to be mixed opinions over the writing and characterisation (and neither D:OS1 nor 2 were well-written games, although the second was an improvement), save that Larian are not in BioWare-when-it-was-good-'s league on that front, but are better at mechanical gameplay systems.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

The gameplay in both Last of Us games is also a clunky mess most of the time.  The second game polished it a bit and made traversing the environment less obnoxious (hey, you can hop over walls now!), but those games are clearly story first, gameplay second. 

2 hours ago, briantw said:

The gameplay in both Last of Us games is also a clunky mess most of the time.  The second game polished it a bit and made traversing the environment less obnoxious (hey, you can hop over walls now!), but those games are clearly story first, gameplay second. 

Yeah, you're right. I guess Last of Us' story was so good I overlooked the flaws in its gameplay.. though I didn't think they were that bad. 

I dunno, I just think I'm not cut out for these AAA games, I don't get them. Why do I want to play something that is little more than an updated version of Dragons Lair (press one of 4 keys to show the next cutscene)? 

Probably why I stick to PC strategy games, you actually feel like you are doing something there.

On 10/24/2020 at 11:25 PM, Fez said:

Finished Disco Elysium. There was one particular quest chain I didn't finish that I really should've, and some skill checks I never beat, but overall I think it was a pretty complete run (at least, as complete as my character build would let me have). Took about 20 hours. And, I don't think I'm saying anything new here, but, that's a really good game. I spent a bit of time online after finishing it, and it seems like at least some people didn't like the ending, but I thought it was really satisfying for what the game was.

I do wish I learned more about The Pale though. That whole side of the world building was something I didn't get to experience much of, but I had so few points in Inland Empire or any of the other relevant skills that I was locked out of it.

Will let you know if I discover anything more about the pale! I'm all in on Inland Empire and Shivers.

I'm about ten hours in and still really enjoying it. Some quests and conversations are maybe too text heavy; but overall it's still been the best top down CRPG I've ever played, or at least the one that appeals to me the most. My karaoke performance was so excellent.

Edit: Cyberpunk has been delayed again! This time until December 10th. Poor crunching CD Projekt Red workers...

37 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Will let you know if I discover anything more about the pale! I'm all in on Inland Empire and Shivers.

I'm about ten hours in and still really enjoying it. Some quests and conversations are maybe too text heavy; but overall it's still been the best top down CRPG I've ever played, or at least the one that appeals to me the most. My karaoke performance was so excellent.

Edit: Cyberpunk has been delayed again! This time until December 10th. Poor crunching CD Projekt Red workers...

I actually went back to a save point before the first point of no-return (there's two of them) and did some save-scumming so I picked up a lot more info about the Pale. It actually re-contextualized how I feel about some pretty points of the game. Not in a bad or good way, just in a different way.

Also, almost literal LOL. Guess my concerns about trying to balance AC: Valhalla and Cyberpunk at the same time weren't necessary.

Yeah, it takes balls to delay Cyberpunk 2077 again at this juncture. I'm going to hazard a guess that's because they'd run into a real problem and releasing the game with it unaddressed would absolutely destroy them, hence the delay.

I am wondering if it's related to Stadia or the previous-generation versions of the game causing them major headaches. Although you'd expect them to have the XB1 and PS4 versions benchmarked for years now.

Possibly the XBX and PS5 versions have been more of a problem, especially since some devs reported not getting development kits to test compatibility on until a few weeks ago.

I'm guessing that Cyberpunk will be buggy upon launch, although multiple release date delays will probably help iron out the worst of it. I'm sure they would like even more time for polishing, but they really can't push back the release any further because of the holiday season.

The recent Covid flare-up in Poland probably doesn't help either.

2 minutes ago, Gorn said:

I'm guessing that Cyberpunk will be buggy upon launch, although multiple release date delays will probably help iron out the worst of it. I'm sure they would like even more time for polishing, but they really can't push back the release any further because of the holiday season.

The recent Covid flare-up in Poland probably doesn't help either.

They're relatively fortunate in that they switched to home working in the spring and never went back to the office again and kept working from home rather than risk going back and then having to go home again (as increasingly more businesses are now doing).

And yeah, I still suspect bugs on release. Maybe Witcher 3 level (irritating but playable and ironed out in a few weeks).

24 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They're relatively fortunate in that they switched to home working in the spring and never went back to the office again and kept working from home rather than risk going back and then having to go home again (as increasingly more businesses are now doing).

And yeah, I still suspect bugs on release. Maybe Witcher 3 level (irritating but playable and ironed out in a few weeks).

I'm expecting Fallout: New Vegas release-level bugs in the console versions and that's the issue. 

Excellent Noclip documentary on the making of Alien Isolation, one of the best horror games of all time and the third-best entry in the Alien franchise (and may have hit #1 on both lists if it hadn't outstayed its welcome by about 10 hours).

The 3rd-person mode they were initially working on looked really crap. One of the best decisions they made was nuking that idea.

Archived