Videogames - The definitive Edition, remastered

Toth

Fallout: Miami looks way more spectacular and impressive than any mod should.

It also looks like they've borrowed some tricks from people who've been looking at modding Fallout 76 (which you can't really do, but they've found ways of pulling FO76's far superior lighting and modelling systems back into the Fallout 4 version of the Creation Engine).

Pretty crazy news about Microsoft buying Zenimax. Aside from Playstation owners who will be denied access to the next Bethesda games, the people I feel most bad for are the developers at Obsidian. Someone in this thread already mentioned this, but what's going to happen to Avowed or the Outer Worlds 2? Or maybe Microsoft is hoping that with both companies under its control it can space these releases out: Starfield soon, Avowed after that, and Elder Scrolls VI in 2076.

The Mario 3D collection is fun. I've played around with 64 a little for nostalgia but have been focusing on Galaxy, which is so great. I do wish there was more value for this collection, though; it feels very cheap and put together at the last minute, and really, they should have included Galaxy 2 and made 64 available for free for Nintendo Switch Online customers. Hopefully the inevitable Zelda collection is better or includes more...

9 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Yesterday I mostly played Arkham Knight but I also got Kingdom of Amalur and Ghostbusters from the online store.  We'll see how they go.

The Terminal Reality Ghostbusters game? I loved it and found it a blast! The gameplay is terrific and the AI companions are doing a great job supporting you. I especially loved the history museum level where you are thrown into the battle between two Civil War era ghost armies that never saw combat and have to catch them strategically while there is cannon fire and musket carnage everywhere that you have to dodge.

It also happen to be pretty much Ghostbusters 3 since its written by Ackroyd and Ramis and neatly ties together both movies revealing a common big bad engineering both events (unfortunately minus Dana Barrett since Sigourney Weaver is said to have turned down the role before realizing that everyone else was already on board and by then they had already written her out). Also of course it's the last time Harold Ramis reprised his role of Egon.

So what are you waiting for? :D

Not sure why Werthead has such a negative view on it. I guess I agree that it's fairly short and lacks the coop part that it REALLY should have given the mechanics, but it's still pretty damn good.

My thoughts on the Ghostbusters game in depth.

It's okay, but not great. The gameplay is stodgy and the writing is off-kilter because Ramis and Aykroyd had no idea how to write a video game so wrote a film script instead and it was slotted in around the action. There's a few nice set pieces and a couple of decent plot twists, but it's very much the definition of the 6-/10 mid-ranking game.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Fallout: Miami looks way more spectacular and impressive than any mod should.

It also looks like they've borrowed some tricks from people who've been looking at modding Fallout 76 (which you can't really do, but they've found ways of pulling FO76's far superior lighting and modelling systems back into the Fallout 4 version of the Creation Engine).

Modding communities really do blow my mind.  That looks every bit as good as something I would expect from a major studio.

29 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Modding communities really do blow my mind.  That looks every bit as good as something I would expect from a major studio.

As someone in the comments said, "I knew instantly this wasn't a proper Fallout game from Bethesda. The animations are far too fluid and good."

55 minutes ago, Werthead said:

My thoughts on the Ghostbusters game in depth.

It's okay, but not great. The gameplay is stodgy and the writing is off-kilter because Ramis and Aykroyd had no idea how to write a video game so wrote a film script instead and it was slotted in around the action. There's a few nice set pieces and a couple of decent plot twists, but it's very much the definition of the 6-/10 mid-ranking game.

I guess that means I am only the Ghostbusters completionist due to you being the be-all and end-all of all things media, huh?

I never claimed it's a masterpiece, I just said it was fun for what it's trying to be. And that is being an interactive Ghostbusters 3 you play for nostalgia's sake.

4 minutes ago, Toth said:

I guess that means I am only the Ghostbusters completionist due to you being the be-all and end-all of all things media, huh?

I never claimed it's a masterpiece, I just said it was fun for what it's trying to be. And that is being an interactive Ghostbusters 3 you play for nostalgia's sake.

That's not too far from what I was saying about it. It's certainly not crap or not worth playing if you're a fan or after a short, fun action game, it just isn't as good an "interactive Ghostbusters 3 you play for nostalgia's sake" as it could or should have been.

You did wonder why I had "such a negative opinion" of it and I expanded on why, and it wasn't such a "negative opinion" in the first place.

I'm usually a console gamer but since I've been away from my console setup so long I finally caved and started playing games on my laptop. The laptop is no gaming laptop, though is less than a year old, as I got it primarily for work purposes. I run a 25inch ultra-widescreen (21:9) monitor off of the laptop - great for working spreadsheets and other productivity programs side by side, and surprisingly enjoyable for watching video in native 21:9 aspect. With an above average quality set of headphones and I'm happy with this setup.  

So I've started playing Skyrim and have made starts with Civilisation VI and KOTOR - all of which the laptop graphics seems to manage without issue.

I've played Morrowind and Elder Scrolls so Skyrim is a familiar tread. I picked up an XBOX ONE controller with WiFi receiver so I could play Skyrim whilst lounging.

Civilisation VI and KOTOR are completely new to me and neither of these seem ported for controller use, so its keyboard & mouse at the desk when I play these. That's taking some time to get accustomed to and neither game has yet to hook me. 

23 hours ago, Werthead said:

Bill Murray, who's phoned-in-don't-give-a-fuck performance is in itself art.

Murray really does live the actor's dream.

18 hours ago, Toth said:

So what are you waiting for?

Well I watched the trailer and saw them running around shooting the proton packs and knew I had to buy it.  I only played one night last week and I started Kingdom of Amalur instead for no real reason.

Speaking of Amalur...I had no idea this was the Schilling game that failed so badly.  It's a decent game so far.  It's very like Skyrim in many ways but is far more colorful.

I'll get to Ghostbusters at some point soon, though.  It does look fun.

Oh wow. There's been a mass-exodus of Blizzard staff who've finally said "Fuck this" to Activision's corporate interference and have set up a new company, Dreamhaven. The number of staff who quit is so large that they've managed to set up two separate studios working on different games: Moonshot Games and Secret Door.

The developers include many of the people who worked on HearthstoneStarCraft IIHeroes of the StormWorld of Warcraft and as far back as WarCraft III.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Oh wow. There's been a mass-exodus of Blizzard staff who've finally said "Fuck this" to Activision's corporate interference and have set up a new company, Dreamhaven. The number of staff who quit is so large that they've managed to set up two separate studios working on different games: Moonshot Games and Secret Door.

The developers include many of the people who worked on HearthstoneStarCraft IIHeroes of the StormWorld of Warcraft and as far back as WarCraft III.

Can't say I'm up to date with the goings on at Blizzard, I really only play a bit of Hearthstone. Are there any links about their issues with Activision?

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

That feels ambitious... (and they may want someone from legal to check the artwork on that lighthouse... pretty sure I saw one of those outside of one of the night elf cities :D )

Thats a lot of big names and presumably high salaries.  They must have some big investors backing them to be able to meet payroll and other expenditures for the 2-3 (maybe 4?) years it will take before they can start releasing profitable games.

Activision are probably worse than EA at this point. At least with EA they can argue that the studios they've been dicking around with have not necessarily been delivering sales or creative hits for many years (like BioWare), but Activision have managed to do it twice with studios generating billions in profit for them. Fucking around with Infinity Ward was moronic, but pissing off Blizzard is insane. In the last decade alone Blizzard have generated something like $5-7 billion in profit from World of Warcraft (a 16-year-old game!), sold more than 50 million copies of Overwatch, more than 30 million of Diablo III and around 20 million of StarCraft II and its expansions. By any metric they've done very well.

Yet it sounds like Activision wanted way more games released way more often, was unhappy with the spending of the company and wanted more monetisation bullshit. This, unsurprisingly, is the result.

It sounds like Dreamhaven want to go it alone, but don't be surprised if EA and Microsoft roll up to them with some very tempting offers.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:23 PM, Simon Steele said:

I'm going back through old Assassin's Creed titles (including the not-so-old Odyssey). I really, really want to like AC 3, but this game is so self-indulgent to the point that I'm five hours in, still in the tutorial, though I do have the main character finally, I'm still not an assassin. I guess I just like the idea of "homestead" and building it up. But damn is this game annoying.

I remember Connor just being a really annoying protagonist to play.  I felt he had no charisma.  The only part of that game I remember particularly liking was the naval aspect.  Oh, and just wandering around the beautiful wilderness.  That was great.  I was really expecting to like it too, because I'm fond of the revolutionary era.

AC4 though, I remember being awesome from start to finish.  I still like to listen to parting glass now and again on youtube, and some of the sea shanties.

I replayed Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag this summer. Some of it hasn't aged well (or was never good at all: did anyone ever like those "slowly follow people from Point A to Point B listening to their conversations" missions?). But the ship combat and piracy core of the game is so immersive and fun. I finished the story missions, but I treated the real final boss of the game as being the legendary ships. And unlike Origins and Odyssey, which I enjoyed but got burnt out on, the world is a very manageable size, and a lot of the side missions are fun enough that I'm happy to do them.

Archived