The Greatest Fighters Of All Time

Here is my Top30 fighters of all time from ASOIAF according to every resources given to us by George RR Martin. The ranking goes from 1 to 10:

1. Prince Aemon Targaryen, the Dragonknight-9.9

2. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning-9.9

3. Daemon I Blackfyre-9.9

(I imagine these three equal)

4. Lord Commander Ser Ryam Redwyne (that guy tho)-9.8

5. Ser Barristan Selmy, the Bold-9.7

6. Daemon Targaryen, the Rogue Prince("It has a thirst of blood")-9.6

7. Ser Gwayne Corbray-9.6

8. King Maegor Targaryen, the Cruel-9.5

9. The Smiling Knight-9.5

10. Cregan Stark, the Wild Wolf-9.5

11. Prince Rhaegar Targaryen-9.4

12. Ser Gerold Hightower, the White Bull-9.3

13. King Jaehaerys I Targaryen, the Conciliator-9.3

14. Ser Jamie "foookin" Lannister 9.3

15. Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers-9.2

16. Ser Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers-9.1

17. Robert "Bobby B" Baratheon-9.1

18. Ser Harwin Strong-9.0

19. Ser Loras Tyrell-9.0

20. Ser Criston Cole, the Kingmaker-9.0

21. Ser Quentyn "Fireball" Ball-9.0

22. Prince Baelor "Breakspear" Targaryen-8.9

23. King Maekar I Targaryen-8.9

24. Ser Gregor Clegane, the Mountain that Rides-8.9

25. Lyonel Baratheon, the Laughing Storm-8.9

26. Prince Oberyn Martell, the Red Viper-8.8

27. Rodrick Dustin-8.8

28. Ser Erryk and Ser Arryk Corgyll-8.8

29. Sandor Clegane, the Hound-8.8

30. Queen Visenya Targaryen-8.8

Here they are, everyone who is mentioned in ASOIAF and is capable of being in my Top30 is here. But still, I see some characters getting up on this list at the end of every ASOIAF book, novel, history book, etc: Jon Snow(he might be Azor Ahai), Young Griff(He will probably wield Blackfyre), Ser Garlan Tyrell, Ser Gerold "Darkstar" Dayne, mayyyyyybe Ned Stark, JonCon,Ser Duncan, etc...

Ser Jaime Lannister should be near the top, Ser Criston Cole was better fighter than Daemon Targaryen or Harwin Strong unless you count them with dragons, then Aegon I would be on top. Anvil also broke the Hammer in Trial of  Seven in Ashford.

I am not impressed by Ser Ryam Redwyne  and Jahaerys I has better propaganda than actual martial feats.

Sandoq the Shadow should be on the list probably.

Ned Stark literally called Robert Baratheon peerless knowing the lights of Arthur Dayne.....

The Absolute Top dogs for me are Daemon Blackfyre and Robert Baratheon. Throw Aemon Dragon Knight in that group aswell....

Arthur Dayne lost to a bunch of Northern Nobodies, but the author equates him to Barri B....

Jaime (with two hands) is someone special as Mr. Martin hypes him a lot.....

Barri B obviously has to be mentioned.....

The Hound is a weaker version of The Demon of the Trident.That still gets him to the Top....

I don't know what credit, Rhaegar has to be considered in the high end of the list....

He lost the only battle he was ever at, where his younger cousin (who was injured prior to the fight) moped the floor with him once and and for all....

Brienne should be mentioned... She might be as good as her ancestor Ser Duncan the Tall.....

Loras Tyrell would mop the floor with Jon Snow any day of the week....

The laughing Storm is quite Martial along with King Maekar and Baelor blackspear......

Visenya and Orys(with two hands) were probably better than Rhaenys and Aegon in the days of the Conquest and also can be considered at the Top....

And in the upcoming Books, I think Arya is gonna do very badass stuff to make it to my mind list.....

Jaime, Gregor, Fireball and Robert should be higher on the list,

Barristan needs to be put together with Arthur Dayne by GRRM own words.

Lord commander Hightower, Jaeharys I, Maegor, and Daemon Rogue Prince should be lower, in the case of Hightowe even removed in favor of Duncan the Tall.

Replace Loras with Garlan

I would also change the places of Rodrik the Ruin and Cregan Stark.

3 hours ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

How is Rhaegar ranked higher then Robert? 

I already called B_S on that...

We have Daemon Blackfyre and Robert Baratheon being called literal gods/other worldly beings in the battlefield....

Aemon the Dragon Knight  has too good of a record to not be included in the Godlike class.....

I never understood Arthur's hype. Maybe because Martin marks him as his go to Bodyguard and the mythical sword

18 hours ago, Eltharion21 said:

Ser Jaime Lannister should be near the top, Ser Criston Cole was better fighter than Daemon Targaryen or Harwin Strong unless you count them with dragons, then Aegon I would be on top. Anvil also broke the Hammer in Trial of  Seven in Ashford.

I am not impressed by Ser Ryam Redwyne  and Jahaerys I has better propaganda than actual martial feats.

Sandoq the Shadow should be on the list probably.

Even Jamie admits that he never reached the top level that other kingsguards of his age earned, yet he was a really premium of the fighters. Ser Criston Cole only won against people like Ser Harwin and Daemon in duels(breaking spear), but I admit he could be a little higher, and don't forget that while the Targ Kings always got the Blackfyre, only the skilled warriors wielded Dark Sister, and damn, remember how he killed Aemond above the God's Eye.Never was mentioned that Aegon I was a great swordsman.

You may not be impressed by Ser Ryam, but he deserved his place, Jaehaerys I too, even at an older age he proved to be a good fighter, just like Barristan.

Sandoq should really be on my list, I forget about him, at least a top20.

12 hours ago, Orm said:

Ned Stark literally called Robert Baratheon peerless knowing the lights of Arthur Dayne.....

The Absolute Top dogs for me are Daemon Blackfyre and Robert Baratheon. Throw Aemon Dragon Knight in that group aswell....

Arthur Dayne lost to a bunch of Northern Nobodies, but the author equates him to Barri B....

Jaime (with two hands) is someone special as Mr. Martin hypes him a lot.....

Barri B obviously has to be mentioned.....

The Hound is a weaker version of The Demon of the Trident.That still gets him to the Top....

I don't know what credit, Rhaegar has to be considered in the high end of the list....

He lost the only battle he was ever at, where his younger cousin (who was injured prior to the fight) moped the floor with him once and and for all....

Brienne should be mentioned... She might be as good as her ancestor Ser Duncan the Tall.....

Loras Tyrell would mop the floor with Jon Snow any day of the week....

The laughing Storm is quite Martial along with King Maekar and Baelor blackspear......

Visenya and Orys(with two hands) were probably better than Rhaenys and Aegon in the days of the Conquest and also can be considered at the Top....

And in the upcoming Books, I think Arya is gonna do very badass stuff to make it to my mind list.....

Robert Baratheon was maybe overrated by his BFF, Ned, not a neutral opinion.

How dare you talk about Aemon the Dragonknight like that? He is called the greatest knight of all time in the last few hundred years.

The Hound is a "monster", at the fight in the inn he didn't prove to be an expert.

Now there's Rhaegar. I can call Robert lucky against him, but neither Rhaegar was as good as he is described in my opinion.

Ser Duncan the Tall in the Dunk n Egg's isn't that good of a fighter, an maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not that impressed by Brienne.

I don't see the Conqueror as a good fighter, it was never mentioned, but so was Visenya, and you are right about Arya too.

I can agree with you in the Jon vs Loras duel, but I mentioned Jon because he is Azor Ahai(i think).

7 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

Jaime, Gregor, Fireball and Robert should be higher on the list,

Barristan needs to be put together with Arthur Dayne by GRRM own words.

Lord commander Hightower, Jaeharys I, Maegor, and Daemon Rogue Prince should be lower, in the case of Hightowe even removed in favor of Duncan the Tall.

Replace Loras with Garlan

I would also change the places of Rodrik the Ruin and Cregan Stark.

The only one person that should be much-much higher is Fireball, I gotta admit that I underrated him.

Maybe I should really replace Loras with Garlan.

Again, Ser Dunken the Tall was a kind and heroic charachter(I like him ao much), but he never ever before proved that he is a good fighter.

Aemon the Dragonknight (I talked about him earlier) admitted that Cregan Stark was the best swordsman that he ever fougth against.(Aemon won that duel)

In the end, i am thankful for your opinions, it helped me correct the ranking a little bit, but also makes me sad how people underrate ser Ryam, Daemon Targ and Aemon the DK, while overrate the Cleganes, and Robert too. Yet, I can see why people overrate Robert: because he never lost a duel, and always proved to be brave. Maybe he was better than I rated him, but not better than Rhaegal, even that he won against him.

8 minutes ago, Orm said:

I already called B_S on that...

We have Daemon Blackfyre and Robert Baratheon being called literal gods/other worldly beings in the battlefield....

Aemon the Dragon Knight  has too good of a record to not be included in the Godlike class.....

I never understood Arthur's hype. Maybe because Martin marks him as his go to Bodyguard and the mythical sword

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, HerblYY said:

Well, Mr Martin says,

In his youth Robert Baratheon was a paragon of a man, stronger and larger than most others on the battlefield. His chosen weapon was a war hammer of such immense size his friend Ned Stark could not wield it. ... It was his war hammer Robert carried that day on the river.

Is the authors opinion biased too?

Basic math and probability also tells us that Robert Baratheon (prime) is Unbeatable given his unbeaten record...

7 minutes ago, HerblYY said:

Now there's Rhaegar. I can call Robert lucky against him,

Yeah, keep telling yourself that....

10 minutes ago, HerblYY said:

but neither Rhaegar was as good as he is described in my opinion

How good is he described in the text???

IIRC, Barri B tries to kiss his ass every chance he gets but all he could muster for Rhaegar's martial prowess was puissant and able....Lols....

5 minutes ago, HerblYY said:

The only one person that should be much-much higher is Fireball, I gotta admit that I underrated him.

Again, Ser Dunken the Tall was a kind and heroic charachter(I like him ao much), but he never ever before proved that he is a good fighter.

Aemon the Dragonknight (I talked about him earlier) admitted that Cregan Stark was the best swordsman that he ever fougth against.(Aemon won that duel)

In the end, i am thankful for your opinions, it helped me correct the ranking a little bit, but also makes me sad how people underrate ser Ryam, Daemon Targ and Aemon the DK, while overrates the Cleganes, and Robert too. Yet, I can see why people overrate Robert: because he never lost a duel, and always proved to be brave.

You're welcome.

Loras said himself that Garlan was better than him in actual combat.

Duncan was not just heroic, he beat the laughting storm that was the Robert of his time in trial by combat, that seems much more impressive than anything Rhaegar or Hightower did.

I get the hype over Cregan, but Roddy was already old by the time of the Dance, and he kept fighting after losing a arm and went on to kill2 lords... sounds too metal and too much like Monty Python, got respect it.

I don't remember much being said of Ryam Redwyne about combat, I remember the best joust ever and him being lord command a a awful hand, but not much about combat, or foes he beat.

Clegane and Robert on the other hand, have tons of feats, and are treated by others as freaks of nature in size and strenght. And as @Orm already said they should be leagues ahead of Rhaegar.

Truth be told is hard to put them in order, not just because of the time frame, but because the information the author give us in interviews ofter goes against what we see in the books...

12 minutes ago, Orm said:

Well, Mr Martin says,

Is the authors opinion biased too?

Basic math and probability also tells us that Robert Baratheon (prime) is Unbeatable given his unbeaten record...

Yeah, keep telling yourself that....

How good is he described in the text???

IIRC, Barri B tries to kiss his ass every chance he gets but all he could muster for Rhaegar's martial prowess was puissant and able....Lols....

I already told you that Robert was unbeatable (maybe) because he had no enemy on his time, it doesn't makes him better than other legendary fighters.

And believe me, I'm not impressed by Rhaegar, not at all, but I can't call Robert better than him.

28 minutes ago, HerblYY said:

Even Jamie admits that he never reached the top level that other kingsguards of his age earned, yet he was a really premium of the fighters. Ser Criston Cole only won against people like Ser Harwin and Daemon in duels(breaking spear), but I admit he could be a little higher, and don't forget that while the Targ Kings always got the Blackfyre, only the skilled warriors wielded Dark Sister, and damn, remember how he killed Aemond above the God's Eye.Never was mentioned that Aegon I was a great swordsman.

You may not be impressed by Ser Ryam, but he deserved his place, Jaehaerys I too, even at an older age he proved to be a good fighter, just like Barristan.

How dare you talk about Aemon the Dragonknight like that? He is called the greatest knight of all time in the last few hundred years.

The Hound is a "monster", at the fight in the inn he didn't prove to be an expert.

Now there's Rhaegar. I can call Robert lucky against him, but neither Rhaegar was as good as he is described in my opinion.

Ser Duncan the Tall in the Dunk n Egg's isn't that good of a fighter, an maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not that impressed by Brienne.

I don't see the Conqueror as a good fighter, it was never mentioned, but so was Visenya, and you are right about Arya too.

I can agree with you in the Jon vs Loras duel, but I mentioned Jon because he is Azor Ahai(i think).

In the end, i am thankful for your opinions, it helped me correct the ranking a little bit, but also makes me sad how people underrate ser Ryam, Daemon Targ and Aemon the DK, while overrate the Cleganes, and Robert too. Yet, I can see why people overrate Robert: because he never lost a duel, and always proved to be brave. Maybe he was better than I rated him, but not better than Rhaegal, even that he won against him.

Thank you.

Cole beat Daemon in a tourney melee, while Daemon was using Dark Sister. Cole also beat Ser Harwin in a tourney melee too. 

16 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

You're welcome.

Loras said himself that Garlan was better than him in actual combat.

Duncan was not just heroic, he beat the laughting storm that was the Robert of his time in trial by combat, that seems much more impressive than anything Rhaegar or Hightower did.

I get the hype over Cregan, but Roddy was already old by the time of the Dance, and he kept fighting after losing a arm and went on to kill2 lords... sounds too metal and too much like Monty Python, got respect it.

I don't remember much being said of Ryam Redwyne about combat, I remember the best joust ever and him being lord command a a awful hand, but not much about combat, or foes he beat.

Clegane and Robert on the other hand, have tons of feats, and are treated by others as freaks of nature in size and strenght. And as @Orm already said they should be leagues ahead of Rhaegar.

Truth be told is hard to put them in order, not just because of the time frame, but because the information the author give us in interviews ofter goes against what we see in the books...

Ser Duncan beat the Laughing Storm when he wasn't at his prime, we know nearly nothing about that trial.

Jaehaerys's kingsguard was maybe the best of all time, and Ser Ryam was described to be a superior fighter (He never had to fight trials by combat bc Jaehaerys did fight himself always, but Ser Ryam was still the greatest of his time.)

Size and power isn't everything, you should know that. Amd as I said, Robert never had a real.opponent, except Rhaegar, whom he beat, but still I can not call Bobby better than Rhaegar(Again, I am not a Rhaegar fan).

17 minutes ago, HerblYY said:

Personally I feel that if fighters met in roughly fair occasions  it should influence their positioning in list. If that famous battles , duels or tourneys would I account or add some kind of point system, any other thing isn't very authentic.

Ser Criston Cole defeated Daemon - while latter was in prime, twice in a melee quite humiliatingly knocking a Valyrian steel from his hands and in a joust as a 23 years old man, he still was about 10 years younger than Daemon :

He first came to the attention of the court when he won the melee held at Maidenpool in honor of King Viserys’s accession. In the final moments of the fight, Ser Criston knocked Dark Sister from Prince Daemon’s hand with his morningstar, to the delight of His Grace and the fury of the prince. Afterward, he gave the seven-year-old Princess Rhaenyra the victor’s laurel and begged for her favor to wear in the joust. In the lists, he defeated Prince Daemon once again, and unhorsed both of the celebrated Cargyll twins, Ser Arryk and Ser Erryk of the Kingsguard, before falling to Lord Lymond Mallister.

During a different tourney he defeated Harwin Strong- Breakbones in a melee - who was supposedly the strongest man in Westeros at the time, leaving him with broken collarbone and shattered elbow.

Martin himself has very high opinion about Jaime Lannister, he even claims he could beat Aragorn in a duel if he was wearing armor, so that is something, i feel he had greatest potential out of most fighters, which so far he failed to reach as himself reminisces while reading entry about him in the White book.

Recorded at this year's past Worldcon, the interviewer asks GRRM to comment on match-ups involving a number of his characters versus a number of Tolkien's characters. Of note are a couple of details which are of relevance to the series, such as Martin's stipulation that Jaime Lannister is one of the greatest swordsmen in the history of the Seven Kingdoms and his indicating yet again that the Ned Stark of the novels isn't really a great warrior, that his talents lie elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

Cole beat Daemon in a tourney melee, while Daemon was using Dark Sister. Cole also beat Ser Harwin in a tourney melee too. 

Cole beating Daemon was some kind of a miracle, but he was somewhere at the same stage with Breakbones.

22 minutes ago, Orm said:

Not really, when Dany talks with him about how much Jorah and Viserys kissed Rhaegar's ass as a warrior, Barristan is surprised but politly imples that he does not agree with it.

3 minutes ago, HerblYY said:

Size and power isn't everything, you should know that. Amd as I said, Robert never had a real.opponent, except Rhaegar, whom he beat, but still I can not call Bobby better than Rhaegar(Again, I am not a Rhaegar fan).

Robert defeated Marq Grafton, Lord Fell, Myles Mooton, Jon Connington and other 4 knights while wounded and without his hammer, and then Rhaegar.

Rhaegar on other hand has not a single confirmed kill or victory in a mele. He was just a fine jouster and this don't count much, as Jaime's record show us, being beat by Loras, and Jorah, both much more inferior warriors than him.

31 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Not really, when Dany talks with him about how much Jorah and Viserys kissed Rhaegar's ass as a warrior, Barristan is surprised but politly imples that he does not agree with it.

Robert defeated Marq Grafton, Lord Fell, Myles Mooton, Jon Connington and other 4 knights while wounded and without his hammer, and then Rhaegar.

Rhaegar on other hand has not a single confirmed kill or victory in a mele. He was just a fine jouster and this don't count much, as Jaime's record show us, being beat by Loras, and Jorah, both much more inferior warriors than him.

I did not want to went into a Robert v Rhaegar "whozabetter" because I don't like any of these two. Rhaegar beat better fighters than himself, and was admitted by Ser Arthur, this doesn't mean he was better than the White Bull, Arthur, or Barristan. He only won 1 tourney, but always been among the few lasts on these eventa. Robert, on the other hand never participated tourneys, but daym, noone ever lived could have beaten him at the Battle of the Trident, 

1 minute ago, HerblYY said:

I did not want to went into a Robert v Rhaegar "whozabetter" because I don't like any of these two. Rhaegar beat better fighters than himself, and was admitted by Ser Arthur, this doesn't mean he was better than the White Bull, Arthur, or Barristan. He only won 1 tourney, but always been among the few lasts on these eventa. Robert, on the other hand never participated tourneys, but daym, noone ever lived could have beaten him at the Battle of the Trident, 

Only in jousts, and jousts do not emulate a real fight like a mele. Rhaegar got nothing over Robert when it comes to fighting. Less experience, less kills, smaller, weaker, and lost their confrontation... this is a no brainer, Robert is objective superior to Rhaegar as a warrior.

16 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Only in jousts, and jousts do not emulate a real fight like a mele. Rhaegar got nothing over Robert when it comes to fighting. Less experience, less kills, smaller, weaker, and lost their confrontation... this is a no brainer, Robert is objective superior to Rhaegar as a warrior.

It was mentioned that their duel was a close fight, and that Rhaegar proved to be verry skilled and athletic when he first went out for training. You still did not convince me about Robert is better than Rhaegar with lightyears, you never will, i still call them equals, you call Robert whatever you want, it won't make him better in my eyes than now. Gotta say that neither Robert won any melee fights, and it's known that he even at an older age participated on them, but you think whatever you want, he will bleed out easily against other big names.

6 hours ago, HerblYY said:

It was mentioned that their duel was a close fight, and that Rhaegar proved to be verry skilled and athletic when he first went out for training. You still did not convince me about Robert is better than Rhaegar with lightyears, you never will, i still call them equals, you call Robert whatever you want, it won't make him better in my eyes than now. Gotta say that neither Robert won any melee fights, and it's known that he even at an older age participated on them, but you think whatever you want, he will bleed out easily against other big names.

The fact that Robert smashed Rhaegar, when he was 3 years younger, injured prior to the Trident, with a big ass Warhammer which a grown ass well built man couldn't lift on horseback.....

Should in fact tell you that Robert Baratheon is light years ahead Rhaegar Targaryen....

Anyways there is no point of discussion, if you are gonna disregard the text and  the Author..... You can keep your opinion....

But, I do my homework when it comes to fantasy fights and fighters......

Robert Baratheon (prime) is the greatest warrior of ASOIAF.... this is fact and my opinion.....

7 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

Maybe..... I am not an avid book reader, but now I remember Danny went and Tried to call Rhaegar "peerless"(LMAO as if)...... Barri B quickly went and corrected her on that trying to be as unpatronising as he can..... My point still stands all Barri B could muster for his wonder boy is able....

Rhaegar is the epitome of sugar-coated BS in ASOIAF(in world).....

And given opinion of this Thread, it seems that B_S spills out-world aswell......

Archived