College Basketball 2020-2021: Battle in the Bubble

Rhom

We are headed towards a very different season of basketball.  With the MLB seemingly showing that sports can happen even with some hiccups along the way, I'm beginning to be hopeful that this could happen.

Also... Kentucky basketball released this video yesterday.  You can imagine the kind of reaction it received from the fanbase...

Closing the video with "Strange Fruit" was particularly haunting.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

Also... Kentucky basketball released this video yesterday.  You can imagine the kind of reaction it received from the fanbase...

Out of morbid curiosity I clicked on that tweet.   Ewwwww.

I'm still hoping there is a season, while still being massively pissed off that the last season was cut short.

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Out of morbid curiosity I clicked on that tweet.   Ewwwww.

I'm still hoping there is a season, while still being massively pissed off that the last season was cut short.

The Facebook reaction was worse...

And yes, I still massively miss not having last season.  Cal was on ESPN radio a week or two ago talking options for the season and was asked about the Champions Classic, he said it’s been mentioned to play it in a mini bubble as a round robin. :stunned:

• 2 weeks later...

It’s not college basketball, but thought I’d share the updated Kentucky high school basketball guidelines

You can’t make this #$&@ up. So its okay to play defense… its okay to muscle people around for a rebound… its okay to pass the ball to each other… but the tip off… Yup. That’s a hotbed of COVID activity.

Honestly, this is a part of why people don’t take guidelines seriously. When you put ridiculous restrictions in there that are flagrantly idiotic and illogical, it begins to chip away and erode at any professional authority that people may otherwise defer to.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Did the NBA thread get deleted? 

Oh hell... I don't know... I don't see it either!

The Nuggets win one game and all of a sudden the internet starts deleting NBA discussion!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 1:19 PM, Rhom said:

Oooof... that's a solid schedule.  No real cupcakes to let the frosh get their feet right.

Toss 'em in the deep end and see if they can swim!

Ehh.  12 of our scheduled 26 games are against the AP preseason top 20.

Do you really think a season can actually happen? It worked in the NBA's bubble, but it won't as teams travel. I said before the pandemic that basketball would be the thing to watch among sports. And the NBA had to shut down immediately. Same thing will probably happen with college basketball. 

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do you really think a season can actually happen? It worked in the NBA's bubble, but it won't as teams travel. I said before the pandemic that basketball would be the thing to watch among sports. And the NBA had to shut down immediately. Same thing will probably happen with college basketball. 

That's obviously a possibility.  But remember, the MLB topic here was subtitled "Enjoy it while it lasts, I guess" and they just finished their season.

College football had leagues shutting down entirely before the season even started and it looks like we're going to get to championship weekend with relatively little interruption.

The SEC commissioner was on Finebaum earlier today (okay... looking at the clock, it was yesterday...) and said that the positive test rate amongst all SEC athletes is less than 0.02%.

It may surprise you.  Plus with the news today (or yesterday... whatever) that the first of the three vaccines in trial has been found to be safe and effective; you'll see that start to get pushed out pretty soon.  

Doesn't mean it will happen, but I think there's hope.

48 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Ehh.  12 of our scheduled 26 games are against the AP preseason top 20.

That's only if you really believe Scott Drew has the number one team in the country.  :lol: 

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

That's obviously a possibility.  But remember, the MLB topic here was subtitled "Enjoy it while it lasts, I guess" and they just finished their season.

College football had leagues shutting down entirely before the season even started and it looks like we're going to get to championship weekend with relatively little interruption.

The SEC commissioner was on Finebaum earlier today (okay... looking at the clock, it was yesterday...) and said that the positive test rate amongst all SEC athletes is less than 0.02%.

It may surprise you.  Plus with the news today (or yesterday... whatever) that the first of the three vaccines in trial has been found to be safe and effective; you'll see that start to get pushed out pretty soon.  

Doesn't mean it will happen, but I think there's hope.

Well for starters, that vaccine has a very small sample size and there's no way it will be ready for college basketball players before the season starts......

I would disagree that there's been relatively little interruption. Teams have had to cancel weeks at a time. Entire teams have caught the virus. LSU's football team by their coach's own admission is on its own second wave of outbreaks. And worse, universities are being pretty open in that they're downplaying and trying to hide outbreaks on their rosters. Dumb mother fuckers still want to fill their stadiums up. I said in the college football thread that several people at Notre Dame need to be fired for that shameful display.

And last, look at the cute wording there. "Among SEC athletes." Okay, that could literally mean anything. Not every sport is even playing and they aren't testing the athletes in smaller sports. It's really easy to be cynical about that kind of lawyer speak. "Err, 5% of SEC football players have caught it, but if we include the water polo teams, it goes down to 3%, and if we also include the golf teams, it goes down to 2%" Etc.

Archived