College Basketball 2020-2021: Battle in the Bubble

Rhom

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

Hey... in a season like this, I gotta brag where I can brag.

UK - 3, Duke - 2, Louisville - 0, UNC - 1. 

3>3?  Is that some kind of new math? 

ETA: Or are they counting the Q1-A wins too?  Kentucky - 2, Duke - 1, Louisville - 0, UNC - 0.  Ah there you go.

31 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

UK - 3, Duke - 2, Louisville - 0, UNC - 1. 

3>3?  Is that some kind of new math? 

ETA: Or are they counting the Q1-A wins too?  Kentucky - 2, Duke - 1, Louisville - 0, UNC - 0.  Ah there you go.

I was told there would be no math.

Starting to believe in Michigan. Us Michigan fans have been so full of  hope in both football and basketball for a long time so we are like traumatized and don't wanna believe they are actually contenders. BB team has been legit under Beilein but never finished the job.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Starting to believe in Michigan. Us Michigan fans have been so full of  hope in both football and basketball for a long time so we are like traumatized and don't wanna believe they are actually contenders. BB team has been legit under Beilein but never finished the job.

I watched most of that game tonight and I have to agree.  They are legit FF material.

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

I watched most of that game tonight and I have to agree.  They are legit FF material.

I agree. Even when they have an off night shooting three's they can dump it into Dickerson in the paint and then focus on the def.  Will be interesting to see how they finish against #5 Illinois and then a surging hated rival in Sparty in back to back games.

43 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I agree. Even when they have an off night shooting three's they can dump it into Dickerson in the paint and then focus on the def.  Will be interesting to see how they finish against #5 Illinois and then a surging hated rival in Sparty in back to back games.

I wonder how long they can keep Howard.  I don't see him leaving for any other college basketball job, but the NBA has to be getting ready to knock down his door and he's no Beilein.  I think he has the skillset to do well in the league.

23 hours ago, Rhom said:

I wonder how long they can keep Howard.  I don't see him leaving for any other college basketball job, but the NBA has to be getting ready to knock down his door and he's no Beilein.  I think he has the skillset to do well in the league.

That's the fear around here. We all thought Beilein was going to stay, he didn't seem suited for the NBA (and wasn't), but Howard can likely make the change. Michigan is willing to pay big money for coaches so we are all holding out hope that he loves being back here and wants to stay.

In honor of the ACC tournament, May I present for your reading pleasure... the time honored tradition of "The Meteor Game."

Son: “Daddy, are we watching the Georgia play that team from Louisiana today?”
Father: “No son, that’s game is pay per view only and we can’t get it on Satellite.”
Son: “That sucks!”
Father: “Stinks, son…not sucks.”
Son: “Sorry. So, what are we going to do today?”
Father: “I figured we’d watch the Louisville-Duke game, son.”
Son: “The Louisville-Duke game? Yuk! But we hate those teams.”
Father: “I know. But it should be a good game.”
Son: “But who do we root for, daddy?”

The father takes a long sip of his morning coffee. With a knowing smile, he puts his arm around his impressionable son’s shoulders.

Father: “Son, it’s a Meteor Game.”

Each man with children has moments that define his role as a father. Often, these defining moments come in the form of an innocent question from a child. “What is sex?” “Is lying wrong?” “How does Don King get his hair to do that?” “Who do we root for?”

Tonight is the annual match up of hated foes as Duke comes to the Commonwealth to face the Cardinals. It’s an unspoken holiday in the state of Kentucky. Tonight, across the state, fathers will be explaining the time-honored concept of the Meteor Game to young sons in record numbers.

Tonight, fathers will be helping impressionable minds grasp the notion that when watching Louisville play Duke, you don’t root for either team to win; you root for an enormous asteroid to make the journey from its natural habitat in a belt between Mars and Jupiter to a red and white den of iniquity in downtown Louisville, picking up horrific speed along the way.

You root for an impact so immense that the resulting heat has an anti-septic, cauterizing power great enough to wipe the scourge of these unsavory teams, their coaches, their fans, the street vendors and the garish tchotchkes they sell off the face of the earth forever and ever. (Amen)

Son: “So, I think I get it. But how big a meteor are we rooting for, Daddy?”
Father: “Son, we’re rooting for the kind of meteor you hire Aerosmith to write a song about.”
Son: “Geez, that’s a big one.”
Father: “It certainly is, son. It certainly is.”

So, apparently ESPN had an article the other day about how lucky KU had been not having any issues with covid all season.  The fucking assholes.  Now we have our only center and back up power forward sitting out the Big XII tournament.  Lovely.  I wish we would have just pulled out of the tournament, and made sure everybody stays healthy for the one that actually matters.

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

So, apparently ESPN had an article the other day about how lucky KU had been not having any issues with covid all season.  The fucking assholes.  Now we have our only center and back up power forward sitting out the Big XII tournament.  Lovely.  I wish we would have just pulled out of the tournament, and made sure everybody stays healthy for the one that actually matters.

Hey... now the NCAA says you only need 5  players to be eligible for the tourney.  You’re Golden!

Duke’s win puts UofL firmly on the bubble.  Phase 2 of the plan is for Duke to lose tonight.  Phase three is for UK to win the SEC tourney and steal the bid from UofL!

Watching the UofL v Duke game last night; “It’s a shame they can’t both lose...”

Boys... I’m here to tell you; God still answers prayers.

Archived