Heresy 232 Lady Dyanna's Rainbow

Black Crow

14 hours ago, Lady Dyanna said:

You’re alternate futures that you can process is limited to what fits into the remaining time of your lifespan. It’s a time limited eye of whatchamacallit. Continuous loops. Over and over again.

I'm a big believer in the time loops too, but the way I see the greenseer's role is as director directing an enormous play. The play is already written, but the director can guide which mummer plays which part. 

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

I'm still picking at the Faith of the Seven and it occurs to me that the seven stars may not be individual stars but a constellation that had meaning to the Faith's early followers. 

The seven stars that are sacred to the Faith are called wanderers, so if they move then they are planets or comets.

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

For the sake of argument, I'm going with the premise that the Hunter is the constellation with seven stars that has mystical significance to the Faith.  When it is observed falling beneath the horizon; it could be interpreted that the gods came down from the sky to walk the earth.  At the same time that the sun is rising; giving us the seven colors of dawn as Lady Diana has observed. The glowing crown could .be none other than the sun itself; the source of the refracted light to crown a king.  Indirectly, the Faith are  sun worshippers and their king is anointed by god.

I like this. :thumbsup:

I too was wondering about Hugor Hill and the seven that were placed upon his brow. The brow could be a hill and the seven could be seven planets in alignment appearing on the horizon.

1 hour ago, alienarea said:

But, maybe some greenseers don't. Instead of ending up in some living being, they master the air / fog? And materialize as White Walkers ...

I’m on the same page as you with this part of it. It’s the only real explanation that makes sense. Greenseers found a way to disconnect themselves from the weirnet and allow their spirit to roam free even after the body is dead.

Could the natural competitiveness of man have been like a poison to the weirnet? There was a time when how many different factions of greenseers were present. If they all had the capability of manipulating things to adjust the outcomes to the one they desire. And there’s multiple greenseers or factions of greenseers battling each other at once, could you imagine how bad it might get? 

1 hour ago, Melifeather said:

I'm a big believer in the time loops too, but the way I see the greenseer's role is as director directing an enormous play. The play is already written, but the director can guide which mummer plays which part. 

Well, I’m not sure that we are necessarily looking at it very differently then. I think we just might be wording it differently. Or maybe over complicating it by looking for patterns that may or may not be there. Bloodraven just might be trying to create the same circumstances over and over again, making slight adjustments to tweak things to reach his desired results. Sort of like playing a huge game of Cyvasse... Only with real life pieces. 

4 hours ago, LynnS said:

Which brings me to Tyrion and his mocking adoption of the name of the founder.  Recall when Quaithe tells Dany about the sun's son and Mirri Maaz Duur's prophecy about the sun rising in the west and setting in the east: 

Now see, with someone like Tyrion and his knowledge of history I see it as more of a possibly that he recognized the source of Illyrio quip and took the name to throw it in his face that he caught on. I wonder if Illyrio isn’t trying to fulfill some prophecy by steering Tyrion into being something that he isn’t. Kinda like Mel is doing to Stannis.

@LynnS  I’m still tossing that top part around in my head. I guess I’m not 100% following it. Might just be I need more time for it to sink in.

That said...  I’m still not sold on the idea that we need to be looking at the stars per se. But I do think that we can use them as part of the framework for interpretation. Basically I think we’re looking at the same thing just from opposite perspectives so the same information is helpful both ways. If that makes sense.

I did run across another constellation whose name intrigued me. I’m gonna link to the Wikipedia on it. Draco

5 hours ago, Lady Dyanna said:

I’m still tossing that top part around in my head. I guess I’m not 100% following it. Might just be I need more time for it to sink in.

I'm just thinking about how early religions form and how Martin might be using the stars, sun, moon, comets etc., to form his own religions.  I came across this today:

https://www.reviewofreligions.org/2306/ancient-sun-worship/

The bit about Egyptian sun worship and deities being crowned with the sun is interesting. 

12 hours ago, LynnS said:

I'm just thinking about how early religions form and how Martin might be using the stars, sun, moon, comets etc., to form his own religions.  I came across this today:

The bit about Egyptian sun worship and deities being crowned with the sun is interesting. 

With a bit of unreliable narrator the man in flames vs the wolf could be Re vs Anubis.

Robb with Greywind's head is a version of Anubis, too.

Following through with this, the Starks are rulers in the land of the dead. Crypts of Winterfell ...

6 hours ago, alienarea said:

With a bit of unreliable narrator the man in flames vs the wolf could be Re vs Anubis.

Following through with this, the Starks are rulers in the land of the dead. Crypts of Winterfell ...

Well spotted!

9 hours ago, alienarea said:

I get what you’re saying. At the very least I’d say that it’s representative of the source of the magic that MMD used.

Something odd that I noticed tonight looking at a picture of a rainbow. And I’m not sure this matters but Anyways... If you look at a partial rainbow you can almost see how it could look like a comet. Make of that what you will. 

22 hours ago, LynnS said:

I still need to look at that article.

I don’t know. Maybe you, @LmL and @Melifeather are right with this one. Maybe the source of the magic that is being used is celestial? Lots of imagery of stuff being drawn down. I think especially of that scene where Sam enters the Nightfort through the well coming up from the black gate. First the moon appears to be being pulled down by the shadows and then Sam emerges and I think gets compared to a leviathan? Or am I confusing two scenes? I can see how it could point to that. Especially taking into account the hammer of the waters and the Iron Islands, etc. 

I’m also suddenly strangely reminded that there is mention of the Ironborn wanting to be able to add the drowned god into the pantheon of the Seven. It was strongly rejected and after that the ironborn went back to the drowned god alone. But.... Why?

Is the drowned God representative of a second life? Like Patchface? And what would that be the equivalent of? We do have talk of Seal skin changers on the Isles of the Farwinds. We’re these where the ironborn got their version of the greenseer. They were placed further to the west to keep them away from the mainland with its weirwood trees? 

Continuing with the thought. To me the salt water drop that baptizes Bran says yes. Enough to make me wonder about the lore that surrounds the religion of the drowned god to see if we can tie Bran to one of their mythologies.

if the current comet is red and it smells of blood and fire. And that’s where the magic comes from. What happened to the rest of the colors? Or does it matter? 

I’m also wondering.... Does Sam actually symbolically follow the tale of the Nights King with his relationship with Gilly? I mean he wasn’t specifically on the wall when he saw her, but he was a man sworn to the Nights Watch. He did chase her. He did catch her. And his fat pink mask definitely gave her his seed. Monster isn’t the issue. Coaster is a fake out. He doesn’t have the right blood. But together Gilly and Sam might. Someone needs to have a nice long discussion with our Samwell about the wonders of condoms. His pull out game seems quite weak. 

Hell. Is Sam also the Giant? Those rats were the size of his pinky finger down in the annals. That’s like minuscule. Sounds like Sam fell down the Rabit’s hole and drank the potion. (Quick! Someone send GRRM some LSD. I could really use a new book.) not to mention that he’s underground and currently in possession of a strange horn. Did he wake himself from the earth to go and be the Night’s King? And who does that make Sam? (Aegon?) Is that why his dad sent him to the wall? And if it is... Did Maester Aemon know? 

I think there might be flooding. A dam broke lose somewhere. Sorry all. But some more random thoughts. Sansa is known for being called the little bird and she literally rewrote The Hounds future for him I think. Especially if he was the gravedigger. I’d imagine that the time there might help to put his soul at peace. So we see this. And we know that Sanaa’s DW, Lady is dead. And as fate would have it, Ned had Lady returned to Winterfell to be buried .... back to that.... That means that as Sansa is in her wolf. And the wolf is in Sansa then Sansa is half in the underground. She’s a fate. 

And... Arya.... Nymeria is a warrior. She built herself an army. And I bet she comes prepared to battle at the end of the world. She’s a Valkyrie. And that’s why the HoBaW wanted her.

Robb ... Grey Wind. That banquet hall people keep seeing filled with dead people and the dreams ppl have of being chased by wolves are getting more and more ominous. Note that Lyanna is there in the banquet hall as a wronged woman. A Madonna figure. Wonder if that’s why it was so important to her to be buried at Winterfell? She wanted to get her own revenge on someone. The Targaryens for taking her son away from her? Is that why it’s Jon’s place yet not his place. His Stark ties are through his maternal bloodline? I think all the Starks and those who died in their service whom are buried in the North come back to fight the final battle. Maybe that’s why Barbara Dustin got so pissed off at Ned. Instead of her husbands bones and a chance to avenge himself, she got .... a horse.

Rickon.  JFC. Is he the last hero?  He has Shaggy Dog and in essence tries to turn him into a dog. In return Shaggy tries to turn him into a wolf. Sound like the man/wolf in Mel’s fires anyone? The Last Hero has a DOG. 

Jon. Ghost. It’s not looking too good for him. No wonder he forgets all meaning of warmth. He may have more problems than just freezing his balls off. B)  I’m just gonna hope that it means that Jon outlives Ghost. Fingers crossed. Maybe there is something to the idea that Ghost be sacrificed? Yeah. Idk. That whole thing is still weird. Especially because I think that there’s a good chance that Jon is Bobby B’s baby boy. It just makes sense. Puts Jon in the role of Green Man and protector. The rightful King. Just with a different daddy. 

Interesting... I just made the below post in a different thread about skin changing babies. What if that is the purpose of Bran? What if he is the ONLY one who can and that is why they looked for him for so long.  I mean BtB is usually shown to be a child. Is Bran passing along knowledge to where he needs it to be before it should be known using just this method? 

Actually. Stole this from part of a post in Heresy 6...

The fourth Bran's chapter, he is paralyzed.

“It was just a lie,” he said bitterly, remembering the crow from his dream. “I can’t fly. I can’t even run.”

“Crows are all liars,” Old Nan agreed, from the chair where she sat doing her needlework. “I know a story about a crow."

“I hate your stupid stories.”

The old woman smiled at him toothlessly. “My stories? No, my little lord, not mine. The stories are, before me and after me, before you too.”

[...]

“I know a story about a boy who hated stories,” Old Nan said.

[...]

“I could tell you the story about Brandon the Builder,” Old Nan said. “That was always your favorite.”

Thousands and thousands of years ago, Brandon the Builder had raised Winterfell, and some said the Wall. Bran knew the story, but it had never been his favorite. Maybe one of the other Brandons had liked that story. Sometimes Nan would talk to him as if he were her Brandon, the baby she had nursed all those years ago, and sometimes she confused him with his uncle Brandon, who was killed by the Mad King before Bran was even born. She had lived so long, Mother had told him once, that all the Brandon Starks had become one person in her head.

“That’s not my favorite,” he said. “My favorites were the scary ones.” 

“Oh, my sweet summer child,” Old Nan said quietly,“what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, my little lord, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for thelong night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods.”

Bran doesn’t yet know fear because he is the original Bran. 

Archived