How long will it take you to read TWOW?

butterweedstrover

Assuming its about the length of ASOS (maybe longer). 

I'm pretty confident the book is in editing after reading the reddit post, and I feel 2021 will be the year it releases. 

Anyways when I get it (hopefully for the summer, maybe winter) I'm going to take my time and not frequent any forums online that could possible have spoilers. 

I'll probably read one chapter a day (I'll skim through the sample chapters), walk around with it, and make it last a good long time. 

I don't feel the need to rush through it so I can jump onto discussion boards and throw around new theories, there will be time enough for that. 

How about you guys?

So optimistic.......again.....aren't we?

I dearly hope to read TWOW and ADOS sometime within my next few dozen rebirths. If it releases by then at least.

In the hypothetical situation in which it gets released, I'll do what AEBRAM said. Zip through. Savor next

Like so many other fans, I'd be surprised to see TWOW next year. Of course there's always hope... just no expectation.

When a release date is confirmed I'll have it pre-ordered and probably book a few days off work to devote to it. I'll time a series re-read in the weeks leading up to that, and when it arrives I'll plough through probably in a few days. Then I'll probably read it again at a more leisurely and considered pace for all the stuff I missed first time through. 

I'll definitely be avoiding the forums for the first read, but might dip in during the second, and will then dive in properly once the re-read is done.

Does anyone think the wait between TWOW and ADOS will be as dramatic as this? I've always felt that the final book (assuming ADOS IS that!) will probably come along not too long after TWOW. I guess I'm expecting by then GRRM will have most of his puzzles worked out and endgames finalised so hopefully the writing process won't be as arduous.

I count reading a sample chapter a couple years ago as the start of my reading it so hopefully it will only take me 5 years although I might wait for him to complete the series before I buy the next book so I might be looking at 20 or 30 years.

1 hour ago, AemonsEyes said:

Like so many other fans, I'd be surprised to see TWOW next year. Of course there's always hope... just no expectation.

When a release date is confirmed I'll have it pre-ordered and probably book a few days off work to devote to it. I'll time a series re-read in the weeks leading up to that, and when it arrives I'll plough through probably in a few days. Then I'll probably read it again at a more leisurely and considered pace for all the stuff I missed first time through. 

I'll definitely be avoiding the forums for the first read, but might dip in during the second, and will then dive in properly once the re-read is done.

Does anyone think the wait between TWOW and ADOS will be as dramatic as this? I've always felt that the final book (assuming ADOS IS that!) will probably come along not too long after TWOW. I guess I'm expecting by then GRRM will have most of his puzzles worked out and endgames finalised so hopefully the writing process won't be as arduous.

I think he should finish up dunk&egg before moving on to ADOS. I'm pretty invested in the short stories right now, and it will probably be a less cumbersome project. 

Do bookstores still do the midnight release thing or is that something of the past? I've never been to a midnight release but I remember my sister doing so for the release of one of the Harry Potter books. 

If there is one, I make actually go and wait in line. 

12 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

'll probably read one chapter a day (I'll skim through the sample chapters), walk around with it, and make it last a good long time. 

You probably eat one chocolate per day when you get a whole boxful, right? I'm with those who will read it straight through, in stretches as long as I have time for, and after I've finished, give it another read to make sure I've put the pieces together right. Several years back (sob!) I wrote down a page or so of questions and cliffhangers that Dance w/Dragons left me with. It might be smart for me to look over those before digging in.

31 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Do bookstores still do the midnight release thing or is that something of the past? I've never been to a midnight release but I remember my sister doing so for the release of one of the Harry Potter books. 

Good question! I always ordered the latest Harry Potter months before its release, and got it delivered on release day. Of course, I was a little old for HP PJ release parties... However, as much as Winds has been anticipated, if the virus allows I imagine some bookstores will consider reviving the practice!

Well as a lifelong Cubs fan I can appreciate the "maybe next year" mentality. Though honestly I'll believe Winds is coming out when I can preorder on Amazon. Not like there hasn't been any false information regarding this in the ASoIaF community before.

That said, I'll definitely speed read it the first time through. I'll have a deep desire to know what's going to happen. The second read through will be slow to watch all the little details and enjoy it more. It's how I've done most books I've been heavily anticipating.

Hrm, is this really a fair question considering most of us are still reading all the previous books?  I listen.   ASOS was 47 hours and 34 minutes long.  I could and likely will listen 5 to 6 hours each day during the week then all but 16 hours over the weekend.  If I have the patience and maturity not to plow through all the chapters I want to read first.  So maybe a week to 10 days to finish.  I'm not coming here for the duration of the initial read.  But then I expect to be back with a vengeance.   Seriously, group, let's have a little more excitement than there was with Fire and Blood!    

1 hour ago, HerblYY said:

I do think that if it will be at the same lenght as ASOS, I

Well, George RR is saying it's going to be long, REALLY long. On the other hand, if his publishers then tell him a book that size can't be bound, we may get two! (But breaking it up will take an extra 5 years.)

9 minutes ago, zandru said:

Well, George RR is saying it's going to be long, REALLY long. On the other hand, if his publishers then tell him a book that size can't be bound, we may get two! (But breaking it up will take an extra 5 years.)

That's exactly what I told, reread my comment.

18 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

Assuming its about the length of ASOS (maybe longer). 

I'm pretty confident the book is in editing after reading the reddit post, and I feel 2021 will be the year it releases. 

Anyways when I get it (hopefully for the summer, maybe winter) I'm going to take my time and not frequent any forums online that could possible have spoilers. 

I'll probably read one chapter a day (I'll skim through the sample chapters), walk around with it, and make it last a good long time. 

I don't feel the need to rush through it so I can jump onto discussion boards and throw around new theories, there will be time enough for that. 

How about you guys?

What reddit-post? Can you link or quote?

18 hours ago, Aebram said:

I'll probably zip through it as fast as I can turn the pages, just to find out What Happens Next. Then I'll read it a second time, more slowly, so I can savor all the rich detail.

Same here. Although I hold two conflicting expectations; I have a wishful expectation that the reason for GRRM to take this long after the missed  deadlines in 2018 must surely be because he decided to finish the whole series before publishing wow and therefore we will not get just winds but also ados in one go. Oth I'm preparing to curse the gods and burn my books if it starts leaning abomination.

Archived