Dragonsteel

Daeron the Daring

As it is written down in a book from the library at the Wall, dragonsteel can kill the white walkers.

But what is dragonsteel? 

Sam and Jon suggests that it's valyrian steel, but I have a better answer(maybe).

Dragonsteel isn't just valyrian steel, valyrian steel must be a type of dragonsteel. We know that valyrian steel is lighter, yet stronger than other steels, and it's dark smoaky grey, almost black.

Now, there is another sword with the same abilities as VS swords, only difference is their colour, and it's Dawn. Could Dawn be made by a different type of dragonsteel? The only difference between any VS sword and Dawn is the colour(Dawn is light grey, almost white, just as VS is almost black), and their origin, if it is to be believed that it was forged from the materials of that meteor.

Any suggestions?

Dawn is said to be forged from a "bleeding Star" AKA meteorite.....

While Valyrian Steel is Valyrian which was probably made using dragon fire.....

Do we know Dawn can kill an other? I think possibly but I don't remember it being mentioned in the books.....

This is a good line of inquiry. I don't know whether you are willing to expand the discussion beyond the sword Dawn, but I think we need to look at dragon glass (the maesters call it obsidian), wild fire and dragon bone as well as dragon steel.

The special properties of each could come from the way they are made: dragon fire may have a magical quality that is not present in regular fire. But there are a couple or a few moments when someone unexpected operates the bellows for a smith - is it possible that a magical weapon is being created if a particular character participates in its manufacture? Jeor Mormont asks Jon at one point whether a grumkin is going to "magic up your sword."

If dragon fire is the special ingredient, keep in mind that the Iron Throne is made out of swords from all over Westeros that have been fused with dragon fire. Could be a great scene coming up where the throne is torn apart to make weapons again.

Aside from magic in the manufacture, the materials of certain weapons may be special. I speculated at one point that wild fire is made from dragon blood or decayed bodies. Dragon eyes are very special as well - it would not surprise me if dragon glass is made from dragon eyes.

Dragon bone has been used for handles on weapons. This doesn't seem like a major, magic role except that we are told that magic is like a sword without a hilt. When you put it that way, a hilt sounds more important. There is a stockpile of dragon skulls beneath the Red Keep. Hmm. There is (or was) a stockpile of wild fire beneath the old Dragon Pit. What dragon innards will be found beneath the third hill of King's Landing, beneath the Red Sept?

The sword Dawn is unique with its origin in a meteor. When the red comet is visible in the sky, one explanation is that it represents a dragon, as I recall. If your dragon steel idea is correct, maybe a description of the comet will provide a hint that establishes a link to Dawn.

More hints about the sword Dawn: Brienne's family home is called Evenfall Hall and her father is known as the Evenstar. Yet Tarth is on the east side of Westeros, where the sun should be rising. Brienne (and Ser Dontos) use morningstar weapons at a couple of key moments. Because of these details, I think Brienne is going to play a key role in the prophecy given to Dany about the sun rising in the west or whatever it was. (The wiki server is down at the moment so I can't check details.) Mining Brienne's story for details might give us some additional hints about the nature of Dawn.

10 hours ago, Orm said:

Dawn is said to be forged from a "bleeding Star" AKA meteorite.....

While Valyrian Steel is Valyrian which was probably made using dragon fire.....

Do we know Dawn can kill an other? I think possibly but I don't remember it being mentioned in the books.....

Or Dawn is an Others' sword...

Good questions! 

A small crackpot I have is that ‘dragonsteel’ is more along the lines of a prophetic idea of a person rather than an actual blade. 

@Lady Blizzardborn has a great thread (closed) where she discussed this in the past. I don’t have too much time to answer more now, but here is a link if anyone wants a peek. 

11 hours ago, HerblYY said:

As it is written down in a book from the library at the Wall, dragonsteel can kill the white walkers.

But what is dragonsteel? 

Sam and Jon suggests that it's valyrian steel, but I have a better answer(maybe).

Dragonsteel isn't just valyrian steel, valyrian steel must be a type of dragonsteel. We know that valyrian steel is lighter, yet stronger than other steels, and it's dark smoaky grey, almost black.

Now, there is another sword with the same abilities as VS swords, only difference is their colour, and it's Dawn. Could Dawn be made by a different type of dragonsteel? The only difference between any VS sword and Dawn is the colour(Dawn is light grey, almost white, just as VS is almost black), and their origin, if it is to be believed that it was forged from the materials of that meteor.

Any suggestions?

I thought VS was dragon steel for a long time and still think it is a hint to VS.   As we know, the Long Night happened long before written words came to Westeros.  This library scroll or book was likely written several thousand years after TLN employing some interpretation of 1st Men runes with the far more modern language of the Andals even well after the rise of Valyria and advent of Valyrian Steel.  If not, it is safe to assume Sam read a prophecy, but there are enough clues to discern the writing is historical not prophetic.  The 1st Men did not use Iron, but Bronze.  The only materials available during The Long Night (that we know of) were dragon glass and bronze and perhaps celestial matter as in Dawn.  Dragons flew over Westeros, but we have no indication that they were in any way utilized against the Others.  The only facts we have to the contrary are the Iron Born, likely 1st Men who mine and work IRON.  We don't know that they were in Westeros during this time.  (But we also don't know that they weren't as Old Nan mentions the Others fear Iron...)

Clue #1:   Dragon glass  An organic multi use material fashioned from obsidian which in turn is a fire by product utilized for thousands of years

Clue #2:   Legend of the forging of Lightbringer  A clear indication that blood magic is required to "activate" magical properties inert in a heavily                          folded and long worked steel

Clue #3:  Recipe for Valyrian Steel:  Dragon fire, steel and spells are the only things we know from the text to be integral.   I think it's likely that                             dragon glass or obsidian and blood magic are also constituent.  We know that dragon bone is dark and given the color of Valyrian Steel it's                 not a stretch to consider this an ingredient.   We also know that regular fire only darkens VS, the logical assumption being dragon fire could                 destroy a finished VS sword.

Clue #4:  Valyrian Steel can no longer be forged.  It can be melted and reforged, but not made from "scratch". 

Dawn of course, doesn't hit any of these considerations.   The only real likeness Dawn has to Valyrian Steel is the razor sharp edge and lightness.   I imagine it also has perfect balance, but have no text to cite.   In that famous knights have wielded this sword it almost has to have perfect balance considering what a big blade it really is.  Not sure where you're getting the color grey from with Dawn.   It is the color of milkglass which is a pearly sort of white.  

Steel is an interesting thing.  We know that Valyrian Steel is based upon Damascus Steel, which was produced in the quality of the Wootz or raw materials as well as the procedure of multiple folding and hammering.   There are real world legends of Damascus Steel being cooled by stabbing strong slaves in the heart to improve the blade's strength.  (Actually, there are all sorts of regional cooling legends from plunging into the heart of a red head to urine!)  

I am no authority, but I'm convinced that Dawn and VS are not the same thing.  I'm not even sure dragon steel was used to drive the Others back.  The technology wasn't there, except for Dawn and we have no idea how it was made, only the material it was made from.  The main reason being the Others were only driven back, not defeated.   This speaks of valor and luck, but not magic weapons.   I think The Last Hero and his crew had bronze, maybe iron swords and dragon glass.   

4 hours ago, Seams said:

This is a good line of inquiry. I don't know whether you are willing to expand the discussion beyond the sword Dawn, but I think we need to look at dragon glass (the maesters call it obsidian), wild fire and dragon bone as well as dragon steel.

The special properties of each could come from the way they are made: dragon fire may have a magical quality that is not present in regular fire. But there are a couple or a few moments when someone unexpected operates the bellows for a smith - is it possible that a magical weapon is being created if a particular character participates in its manufacture? Jeor Mormont asks Jon at one point whether a grumkin is going to "magic up your sword."

If dragon fire is the special ingredient, keep in mind that the Iron Throne is made out of swords from all over Westeros that have been fused with dragon fire. Could be a great scene coming up where the throne is torn apart to make weapons again.

Aside from magic in the manufacture, the materials of certain weapons may be special. I speculated at one point that wild fire is made from dragon blood or decayed bodies. Dragon eyes are very special as well - it would not surprise me if dragon glass is made from dragon eyes.

Dragon bone has been used for handles on weapons. This doesn't seem like a major, magic role except that we are told that magic is like a sword without a hilt. When you put it that way, a hilt sounds more important. There is a stockpile of dragon skulls beneath the Red Keep. Hmm. There is (or was) a stockpile of wild fire beneath the old Dragon Pit. What dragon innards will be found beneath the third hill of King's Landing, beneath the Red Sept?

The sword Dawn is unique with its origin in a meteor. When the red comet is visible in the sky, one explanation is that it represents a dragon, as I recall. If your dragon steel idea is correct, maybe a description of the comet will provide a hint that establishes a link to Dawn.

More hints about the sword Dawn: Brienne's family home is called Evenfall Hall and her father is known as the Evenstar. Yet Tarth is on the east side of Westeros, where the sun should be rising. Brienne (and Ser Dontos) use morningstar weapons at a couple of key moments. Because of these details, I think Brienne is going to play a key role in the prophecy given to Dany about the sun rising in the west or whatever it was. (The wiki server is down at the moment so I can't check details.) Mining Brienne's story for details might give us some additional hints about the nature of Dawn.

I can agree with you on some things wrote down in your comment, but don't make everything weird.

In my opinion wildfire is just a chemical liquid, maybe created with some magic, but I don't think it could kill the Others, cause fire can't kill one, only the wights can die by fire. Dragonbone is a very expensive thing, because it is strong enough to make hilts out of it, and maybe jewerlys, also boneknives(I don't think I heard about that, but whoknows). Dragonglass is just obsidian, that's what it is. Dragonsteel and dragonglass can kill the Others, as far as we know. We'll see, but I would like the wildfire to be used in the Battle of Ice n Fire.

5 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I thought VS was dragon steel for a long time and still think it is a hint to VS.   As we know, the Long Night happened long before written words came to Westeros.  This library scroll or book was likely written several thousand years after TLN employing some interpretation of 1st Men runes with the far more modern language of the Andals even well after the rise of Valyria and advent of Valyrian Steel.  If not, it is safe to assume Sam read a prophecy, but there are enough clues to discern the writing is historical not prophetic.  The 1st Men did not use Iron, but Bronze.  The only materials available during The Long Night (that we know of) were dragon glass and bronze and perhaps celestial matter as in Dawn.  Dragons flew over Westeros, but we have no indication that they were in any way utilized against the Others.  The only facts we have to the contrary are the Iron Born, likely 1st Men who mine and work IRON.  We don't know that they were in Westeros during this time.  (But we also don't know that they weren't as Old Nan mentions the Others fear Iron...)

Clue #1:   Dragon glass  An organic multi use material fashioned from obsidian which in turn is a fire by product utilized for thousands of years

Clue #2:   Legend of the forging of Lightbringer  A clear indication that blood magic is required to "activate" magical properties inert in a heavily                          folded and long worked steel

Clue #3:  Recipe for Valyrian Steel:  Dragon fire, steel and spells are the only things we know from the text to be integral.   I think it's likely that                             dragon glass or obsidian and blood magic are also constituent.  We know that dragon bone is dark and given the color of Valyrian Steel it's                 not a stretch to consider this an ingredient.   We also know that regular fire only darkens VS, the logical assumption being dragon fire could                 destroy a finished VS sword.

Clue #4:  Valyrian Steel can no longer be forged.  It can be melted and reforged, but not made from "scratch". 

Dawn of course, doesn't hit any of these considerations.   The only real likeness Dawn has to Valyrian Steel is the razor sharp edge and lightness.   I imagine it also has perfect balance, but have no text to cite.   In that famous knights have wielded this sword it almost has to have perfect balance considering what a big blade it really is.  Not sure where you're getting the color grey from with Dawn.   It is the color of milkglass which is a pearly sort of white.  

Steel is an interesting thing.  We know that Valyrian Steel is based upon Damascus Steel, which was produced in the quality of the Wootz or raw materials as well as the procedure of multiple folding and hammering.   There are real world legends of Damascus Steel being cooled by stabbing strong slaves in the heart to improve the blade's strength.  (Actually, there are all sorts of regional cooling legends from plunging into the heart of a red head to urine!)  

I am no authority, but I'm convinced that Dawn and VS are not the same thing.  I'm not even sure dragon steel was used to drive the Others back.  The technology wasn't there, except for Dawn and we have no idea how it was made, only the material it was made from.  The main reason being the Others were only driven back, not defeated.   This speaks of valor and luck, but not magic weapons.   I think The Last Hero and his crew had bronze, maybe iron swords and dragon glass.   

The book was I think written 600 years before the conquest(I think Sam mentions it). Neither I think that dragonsteel was a weapon against the Others at the Long Night, but a later discovery, that proves that they were never gone. The dragonglass seems to had been the major thing against the Others, but it was long ago.

Another thing that I can't see is Dawn being the Lightbringer itself. I think that our story's AA/PTWP will have to forge it by himself if the theory that Rhaegar was AA and Jon is the Lightbringer himself forged by R+L's love is false.

Just now, HerblYY said:

The book was I think written 600 years before the conquest(I think Sam mentions it). Neither I think that dragonsteel was a weapon against the Others at the Long Night, but a later discovery, that proves that they were never gone. The dragonglass seems to had been the major thing against the Others, but it was long ago.

Another thing that I can't see is Dawn being the Lightbringer itself. I think that our story's AA/PTWP will have to forge it by himself if the theory that Rhaegar was AA and Jon is the Lightbringer himself forged by R+L's love is false.

If that's right about the date the book was written it falls in line perfectly with assumptions.  The author used terms of language he was familiar with and Valyrian Steel was available.  

There are some compelling reasons for Dawn to be Lightbringer.  Would GRRM be that obvious?  Sure, why not?   He tricks us with every other word.  I'm not married to the idea that Dawn is Lightbringer, but I think a lot of our thinking depends on our own ideas and discoveries in the text.   I have an idea about Dawn being used in The Long Night, but it's just an idea with nothing to back it up.   I'm not much of a prophecy guy and don't really care who or what is Lightbringer.   I care about the Valyrian Swords appearing, congregating and killing Others.  If Dawn plays a part in that, great.  If Dawn has no part in that, great.   I categorize Dawn in the same column as the Celtigar ax and Caggo's arakh--placeholders and options should all 12 swords fail to appear.   I don't know that it's magical at all, but it's named and worthy of mention.  

Prophecy is a dual edged thing, friend.  Maybe it's a thing and maybe it's just a legend.  The only thing I'm sure of is that I cannot trust what Melisandre says or predicts.   She's got her own reasons for telling the stories she tells and I'm not sold that she even understands their true meaning.  Rhaegar seemed caught up in prophecy that allowed him to change his stance.   Seems like a fair way to approach this tale without getting hung up on symbolism or prophecy.   Jon could be Lightbringer and I'm just too stupid to see it and Lightbringer could also be a concept I don't need to care about beyond a sword that ends the Long Night.    

I think you and I are on the same page with this here dragon steel.  It is a thing to come perhaps, not employed during The Last Hero's quest to end The Long Night.   For all I know all Valyrian Steel swords could be Lightbringer!  

42 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

If that's right about the date the book was written it falls in line perfectly with assumptions.  The author used terms of language he was familiar with and Valyrian Steel was available.  

There are some compelling reasons for Dawn to be Lightbringer.  Would GRRM be that obvious?  Sure, why not?   He tricks us with every other word.  I'm not married to the idea that Dawn is Lightbringer, but I think a lot of our thinking depends on our own ideas and discoveries in the text.   I have an idea about Dawn being used in The Long Night, but it's just an idea with nothing to back it up.   I'm not much of a prophecy guy and don't really care who or what is Lightbringer.   I care about the Valyrian Swords appearing, congregating and killing Others.  If Dawn plays a part in that, great.  If Dawn has no part in that, great.   I categorize Dawn in the same column as the Celtigar ax and Caggo's arakh--placeholders and options should all 12 swords fail to appear.   I don't know that it's magical at all, but it's named and worthy of mention.  

Prophecy is a dual edged thing, friend.  Maybe it's a thing and maybe it's just a legend.  The only thing I'm sure of is that I cannot trust what Melisandre says or predicts.   She's got her own reasons for telling the stories she tells and I'm not sold that she even understands their true meaning.  Rhaegar seemed caught up in prophecy that allowed him to change his stance.   Seems like a fair way to approach this tale without getting hung up on symbolism or prophecy.   Jon could be Lightbringer and I'm just too stupid to see it and Lightbringer could also be a concept I don't need to care about beyond a sword that ends the Long Night.    

I think you and I are on the same page with this here dragon steel.  It is a thing to come perhaps, not employed during The Last Hero's quest to end The Long Night.   For all I know all Valyrian Steel swords could be Lightbringer!  

We do really have pretty much the same opinion/point of view about these things.

To be honest, I never really liked Melisandre, and the faith of R'hllor, because faith in this world is a very tricky thing, and in every culture there comes this guy who ends the darkness, bla, bla, but tells the story in different ways(AWOIAF has resources proving of almost every culture having this kind of hero), and that's why I think we can not know already what is going to happen. The prince that was promised-thing was a thing in House Targaryen ever since Aegon the Conqueror had some kind of dream about it, yet it didn't come from a religion, since House Targaryen had none before the conquest, so the battle of Ice n Fire must be independent of any religion, i hope. Maybe the faith of The Old Gods since it is the only originated from Westeros( I don't know where to put the religion of the Drowned God). 

The one thing I am sure about is that VS will have some words in that "conversation", and I can agree with the "any VS could be Lightbringer" thing.

Also don't forget the VS armor, there is no way it's fake, it cannot be, but neither I could believe that Euron did survive a trip to Valyria since we know what happened to Princess Aerea and Balerion there (bruh, poor Aerea, and Balerion had a 9 feet wide bite on his neck, which couldn't be originated from a dragon)

So anyway, VS swords and that fuckenamayzing VS armor will have a major role in the end, but still I think there is more in dragonsteel than just VS.(I don't think there is a high-five emote)

Edit: It came into my mind right now: Maesters at the citadel who try out "Higher misterys" get the valyrian steel chain for it. So this proves that they have some amount of VS that can be forged into chains. But how much?

2 minutes ago, HerblYY said:

We do really have pretty much the same opinion/point of view about these things.

To be honest, I never really liked Melisandre, and the faith of R'hllor, because faith in this world is a very tricky thing, and in every culture there comes this guy who ends the darkness, bla, bla, but tells the story in different ways(AWOIAF has resources proving of almost every culture having this kind of hero), and that's why I think we can not know already what is going to happen. The prince that was promised-thing was a thing in House Targaryen ever since Aegon the Conqueror had some kind of dream about it, yet it didn't come from a religion, since House Targaryen had none before the conquest, so the battle of Ice n Fire must be independent of any religion, i hope. Maybe the faith of The Old Gods since it is the only originated from Westeros( I don't know where to put the religion of the Drowned God). 

The one thing I am sure about is that VS will have some words in that "conversation", and I can agree with the "any VS could be Lightbringer" thing.

Also don't forget the VS armor, there is no way it's fake, it cannot be, but neither I could believe that Euron did survive a trip to Valyria since we know what happened to Princess Aerea and Balerion there (bruh, poor Aerea, and Balerion had a 9 feet wide bite on his neck, which couldn't be originated from a dragon)

So anyway, VS swords and that fuckenamayzing VS armor will have a major role in the end, but still I think there is more in dragonsteel than just VS.(I don't think there is a high-five emote)

It's good to find a like minded reader.   Though I admit I am stoked about Euron's armor I have to remind myself it was just an hallucination The Damphair had.   I want it to be real, but I'm still holding my breath.  

Now I'm glad you brought up the religion of Valyria.   We read they thought themselves gods and that many of the dragons were named for gods.  With this in mind, I could see a culture that considers itself so far above all other life forms originating some very cool things...exactly like magic swords.  What I'm not sure of is why we don't hear anything about R'hllor in Valyria.  Seems like a perfect fit to me.  I will not be surprised to learn that R'hllor is actually Raehllor, a hero Valyrian from way back among the shepherds.   Or something.   Is TPTWP Azor Ahai?  I dunno.   Seems to me Rhaegar was the only Valyrian we know of who was even remotely interested in the prophecy and that could have been for many reasons.  In that I have limited patience with prophecy I have to sort of give up and assign things to either fire or ice to make sense of them.  TPTWP and AA seem to be fire heroes and that's as far as I get with it.   

Hopefully we will get to read a whole lot more about Valyrian Steel and Dawn in pages soon to come and there may be more clues as to the real make up of both.  :cheers:   as close as I could find to a high 5!  

2 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

It's good to find a like minded reader.   Though I admit I am stoked about Euron's armor I have to remind myself it was just an hallucination The Damphair had.   I want it to be real, but I'm still holding my breath.  

Now I'm glad you brought up the religion of Valyria.   We read they thought themselves gods and that many of the dragons were named for gods.  With this in mind, I could see a culture that considers itself so far above all other life forms originating some very cool things...exactly like magic swords.  What I'm not sure of is why we don't hear anything about R'hllor in Valyria.  Seems like a perfect fit to me.  I will not be surprised to learn that R'hllor is actually Raehllor, a hero Valyrian from way back among the shepherds.   Or something.   Is TPTWP Azor Ahai?  I dunno.   Seems to me Rhaegar was the only Valyrian we know of who was even remotely interested in the prophecy and that could have been for many reasons.  In that I have limited patience with prophecy I have to sort of give up and assign things to either fire or ice to make sense of them.  TPTWP and AA seem to be fire heroes and that's as far as I get with it.   

Hopefully we will get to read a whole lot more about Valyrian Steel and Dawn in pages soon to come and there may be more clues as to the real make up of both.  :cheers:   as close as I could find to a high 5!  

That's exactly how I feel about that armour.

We do know that back in the times of the Freehold every religion was ignored by the dragonlords whom tought themselves gods, so did House Targaryen, but! after The Doom House Targaryen wanted to involve himself into Essosi politics. All this changed when Aegon the Dragon had that dream (George said that it has something to do with the Others, something like seeing the doom of Westeros) that made him conquer the lands west to him.

Then there comes Aerys I and Bloodraven (his hand). It was said that Aerys was always reading about some kind of prophecies (speculation only, but maybe it was that prophecy that made him making no heir), and Bloodraven supported  and involved him in his own anything to be called business. Then comes Aegon V, whom the Ghost of High Heart told that TPTWP will come from Jaehaerys's and Shaera's line. Then there is Aemon, Egg's brother and finally Rhaegar. So it wasn't only Rhaegar interested in the prophecy, there were others too. 

Also, it's only my speculation, but I do think that the reason Bloodraven went north of the Wall wasn't only to meet with the CotF and expand his own lifespan, so he could meet up with Bran at some point, but to hunt down some Others too with Darksister(The sword must still be with him in the cave).

Not to mention that your speculation with R'hllor being a valyrian somekindof hero seems to be a good idea, sad that we have no proof for that.

1 minute ago, HerblYY said:

That's exactly how I feel about that armour.

We do know that back in the times of the Freehold every religion was ignored by the dragonlords whom tought themselves gods, so did House Targaryen, but! after The Doom House Targaryen wanted to involve himself into Essosi politics. All this changed when Aegon the Dragon had that dream (George said that it has something to do with the Others, something like seeing the doom of Westeros) that made him conquer the lands west to him.

Then there comes Aerys I and Bloodraven (his hand). It was said that Aerys was always reading about some kind of prophecies (speculation only, but maybe it was that prophecy that made him making no heir), and Bloodraven supported  and involved him in his own anything to be called business. Then comes Aegon V, whom the Ghost of High Heart told that TPTWP will come from Jaehaerys's and Shaera's line. Then there is Aemon, Egg's brother and finally Rhaegar. So it wasn't only Rhaegar interested in the prophecy, there were others too. 

Also, it's only my speculation, but I do think that the reason Bloodraven went north of the Wall wasn't only to meet with the CotF and expand his own lifespan, so he could meet up with Bran at some point, but to hunt down some Others too with Darksister(The sword must still be with him in the cave).

Not to mention that your speculation with R'hllor being a valyrian somekindof hero seems to be a good idea, sad that we have no proof for that.

I stand corrected and thank you for the reminder about Aemon and Bloodraven.  I thought Egg's deal with prophecy had more to do with hatching dragons, but nothing says these are not all parts of the same prophecy.  It's really interesting that Jenny of Oldstone's little dwarf friend even knew about the Valyrian prophecy of TPTWP.  Why would she know that, particularly if she really is a COTF?  That's downright creepy and intriguing.  

Your guess is as good as any regarding Bloodraven's intentions in going north.  All we can do is trust that he knew what he was doing and is doing.  I'm still waiting for him to say anything about Dany.   Anything at all.  Or Jon for that matter.  Among the very important things Bloodraven did is taking Dark Sister exactly where she needs to be.  Now if only the rest of the damned magic swords would just show up and get moving.  

17 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I stand corrected and thank you for the reminder about Aemon and Bloodraven.  I thought Egg's deal with prophecy had more to do with hatching dragons, but nothing says these are not all parts of the same prophecy.  It's really interesting that Jenny of Oldstone's little dwarf friend even knew about the Valyrian prophecy of TPTWP.  Why would she know that, particularly if she really is a COTF?  That's downright creepy and intriguing.  

Your guess is as good as any regarding Bloodraven's intentions in going north.  All we can do is trust that he knew what he was doing and is doing.  I'm still waiting for him to say anything about Dany.   Anything at all.  Or Jon for that matter.  Among the very important things Bloodraven did is taking Dark Sister exactly where she needs to be.  Now if only the rest of the damned magic swords would just show up and get moving.  

Don't forget that the Ghost of High Heart is of the Old Gods, just as the place High Heart. All we know about her is that she's tiny and ugly, and was there at Summerhall(she said it herself), but he will play some major role in predicting the future, most likely Arya will meet her again when she goes back for Nymeria, but Jamie and Brienne are wandering around the Riverlands too(I don't have a fucking clue what's happening between those 2 and UnCat).

Since Maester Aemon went to the Wall with Brynden, I believe Aemon knew more than he showed, since Brynden is his uncle and a greenseer, and it is likely that Benjen Stark knew about Jon's identity. MAYBE he told it to Aemon, but it's not likely, since neither Ned tried to tell to other Targs about Jon. But if Brynden told to Aemon, he may said to him to act normally, and maybe that's why he didn't give a fuck about Stannis.

Anyway, Bloodraven will reveal everything to Bran, he has to.

14 hours ago, HerblYY said:

But what is dragonsteel? 

Any suggestions?

Dawn was made of a material which should be called "unobtanium."  It was made from a meteor, according to legend.  The material is out of this world.  I do not believe this is the same as Dragonsteel.  Dawn is a one of a kind weapon.  Dragonsteel is Valyrian Steel.  It is a material combining strength and light weight.  Great for making blades, protective suits, and airplanes.  VS has properties which make it resistant to going brittle from extreme cold.  We have yet to be told the properties of Dawn. 

1 hour ago, Bowen 747 said:

Dawn was made of a material which should be called "unobtanium."  It was made from a meteor, according to legend.  The material is out of this world.  I do not believe this is the same as Dragonsteel.  Dawn is a one of a kind weapon.  Dragonsteel is Valyrian Steel.  It is a material combining strength and light weight.  Great for making blades, protective suits, and airplanes.  VS has properties which make it resistant to going brittle from extreme cold.  We have yet to be told the properties of Dawn. 

Not to mention that Valyrian Steel, like its makers, is fire resistant. 

6 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Not to mention that Valyrian Steel, like its makers, is fire resistant. 

We don't know if Valyrians are fire resistant, Daenerys was when he hatched the 3 dragons and rode Drogon, but that's all. All we know is that they aren't that sensitive for heat, they are  kind of immune to any sickness (the only Targs to ever die of illness is princess Daenerys, daughter of Jaehaerys and Alysanne, at age 8, king Daeron II and the two sons os Baelor Breakspear, but these were caused by epidemic, not by simply getting sick)

Archived