What Are You Baking?

kairparavel

We talk about our dinner. We sometimes talk about our drinks. Let's talk about cakey, cookie, sweet, pillowy, ganache-y, bubbly, layered, fruity, custardy, crunchy, gooey things. 

We're off to dinner at friends later this afternoon. Because life itself isn't stressful enough, I've decided to add in some hyper-focused anxiety over the peach pie currently baking and bubbling in the oven that I'm/ we're bringing as dessert. 

This is the recipe I'm using, though with a different crust. 

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/peach-streusel-pie-recipe

If you've never baked something before, King Arthur is an excellent place to grab a recipe and start. 

With baking I find you really need to work and develop delivery more than with cooking, baking is far less forgiving of fuckups.

Therefore I have a few tried and tested staples that I've got perfect. My favourites are egg custard tart, baileys cheesecake and treacle tart. All of which are about as unhealthy as it's possible for food to be. 

https://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/11439/treacle-tart-with-jersey-clotted-cream-and-raspberry-ripple-ice-cream

The treacle tart recipe I find works better with just clotted cream, rather than clotted cream ice cream. Which also save a decent chunk of time and faff. 

Can you get clotted cream elsewhere than the UK? 

The pie turned out exceptionally well, to my great relief. It's been a looong time since I've made a pie crust or pie.

Outside of The Cookies, I haven't really baked anything in far too long. Being out of practice gets me so worked up, as does being married to M 'where is your mise/why are you doing it that way/what are you doing, let me see that recipe' C.

I guess I need to start tearing into my recipes more and just giving things a go. 

ooooooh I haven't made pasties in a while. I need to fix that.

@BigFatCoward -- generally people can find a version of it in nicer grocery stores in the US, but it's not quite the same as clotted cream in the UK because of dairy pasteurization laws. That said, I've found dairies that make clotted cream from unpasteurized milk -- it's just much harder to find for your average person.

• 2 months later...

I baked some box mix Ghirardelli brownies for breakfast this morning and I really have no regrets. They really are very good. Period. 

In healthier baking I've been making Super Hero Muffins from the Run Fast, Eat Slow cookbook. I do neither of these things but the muffins are great on weekday mornings when I don't feel up to oatmeal. I've also enjoyed the Spelt Gingerbread Loaf. Totally not an athlete but the recipes are great, with whole food ingredients if you're into that sort of thing. 

What’s a good source for cookie dough?  We like to bake cookies around Christmas as a family fun tradition.  Specialty’s Cafe chain used to sell cookie dough (they had amazing cookies), which was easily available to us in Chicago before we moved.  But they only sold it in stores, not online, and then the chain went bankrupt and shut down due to COVID.  So we’re definitely not getting their cookie dough this year. 

A typical grocery store here would have Nestle Tollhouse cookie dough available, but those aren’t very good. 

FWIW, this summer I baked my wife a birthday cake while we were unwilling to trust external foods that we wouldn’t wash or cook ourselves at home.  I got some Ghirardelli chocolate cake mix on Amazon, and added caramel and chocolate sauce.  I would have added some more filling and coating but she actually doesn’t like a lot of frosting, ganache, cream or even fruit with her cake.

Edit: that was the first cake I ever baked and it turned out very well.  Usually I would only bake brownies, cookies, bread, croissants, etc.  Cakes and pastries are outsourced to professionals.

Ooh I missed this thread back in September! I LOVE baking, it's one of my favorite hobbies ever since I was a little kid. Back then I had a family of 7 to help me eat it all, nowadays it's just me so it's a little harder to do as often.

Like so many people, I used this time to finally get around to the sourdough starter I'd always dreamed of having. It's been going pretty well! I can't make pretty loaves yet, but they taste good so meh. (A common theme with my baked goods, lol.)

For Thanksgiving, I went a bit crazy and made a pumpkin pie with gingersnap crust, mini tarte tatins, and mini chocolate cream pies (all for just me). Took me a week to get through it all and the last 1/4 of the pumpkin pie went bad before I could eat it, alas. I made a very excellent pumpkin sourdough bread a couple weeks ago following this recipe https://www.theperfectloaf.com/pumpkin-cinnamon-sourdough-bread. I subbed dried cranberries for the raisins and just used APF since I didn't have any bread flour on hand. Quite delicious!

Not sure what's next. I'm thinking gingerbread cookies because yum! I also might make a roll-type cake soon, flavor TBD.

Pretty much a baking novice, but I have started experimenting with some 'bruschetta' stuff. It's all simple stuff where you glaze different kinds of bread with olive oil and garlic, and then add toppings like cheese, sun dried tomatoes and/or pesto. So far I've just used mozzarella as the cheese, but I really would like a sharper or zestier cheese since the mozz tends to be pretty bland and is more like filler. The bread is also french or italian bread, so not much variation there.

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I've been thinking of making a batch of cheese scones recently, just need to remember to pick up the bits when I'm at the shops next.

I wish I could taste them, if only to say that the ingredients are all shit, used in the wrong order and the chef clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing. #LFC :b

37 minutes ago, Hereward said:

I wish I could taste them, if only to say that the ingredients are all shit, used in the wrong order and the chef clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing. #LFC :b

Mostly I don't, but if I end up with at least 4, and the midfield scones haven't just been timidly passing it backwards all day, I won't be complaining too much!

I found a lovely sugar cookie recipe with a very nice icing that you put on them, but they're almost 'too much'.  So of course, I want to make them again.  :D  

I've got to make a red velvet cake for Mr. Sister at some point.  I told him I would.  I like it, but it's not my favorite.  I always worry about all that red dye mutating inside of me and turning me into a super villain or super hero - it could go either way.

Cheese scones sound wonderful!

Archived