US Politics: A small step from going viral to going postal

A Horse Named Stranger

46 minutes ago, A Prince of Dorne said:

I live in Ohio and this has been a real concern for me. It could definitely tip things here, as people are very angry at the Big Ten right now and seem to be convinced the cancellation is a liberal/anti-Trump thing. I've a hunch it's not as big a deal in Wisconsin or Michigan, but western and central PA feels closer to Ohio in this regard

Oh no. The most important thing in Wisconsin is the Green Bay Packers, but 1a is Wisconsin football. The university’s athletic budget annually is $140m, and the football team generates $100m in revenue, so University of Wisconsin sports are crippled with the Big Ten suspending the season. Getting football going again could easily swing a state like WI if residents view Trump as saving the team. I really can’t speak about MI, and it won’t change things much in MN, IA and IL, but yeah, restarting the Big Ten could very much help Trump in WI and PA.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

As I understand it, there are two major factors at play in Arizona.

1.  The population is changing rapidly.  The Latino population is huge and coming of age, and Arizona Latinos are mostly central american and vote more like CA latinos than TX/FL latinos.  Plus lots of retiring west coasters are moving to AZ because it's cheaper. 

2.  It is a very suburban state, with lots of college graduates and Trump is losing those voters fast.  Maricopa county was the last top 15 population county in the country that still voted GOP as of 2016, and it looks like that dam has finally broken. 

I believe Arizona has also gotten a big influx of people moving there from California, which is also changing the character of the state.

Pretty sure that Texas is also changing in part because of new blood, as lots of people from across the country have been moving there as both Austin and Dallas increasingly became tech hubs.

2 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Pretty sure that Texas is also changing in part because of new blood, as lots of people from across the country have been moving there as both Austin and Dallas increasingly became tech hubs.

But wasn't there an exit poll that O'Rourke won among native Texans, and it was only transplants that gave Cruz the win?  I agree that it seems like just a matter of time before Texas flips.  But probably not this year. 

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I assume that a lot more folks are going to be leaving California in the future with increasingly grim weather every year and bigger and bigger forest fires. Maybe more red states will turn blue.

Hopefully more people being able to work from home might accelerate that.

Off-topic - I don't like that cough Biden has.

Murdererinchief knew how deadly the virus was and SAID SO ON TAPE way back in February.  Therefore his denial that it was serious, that masks shouldn't be worn, keeping test, track and trace from being implemented, refusing PPE and other aid and assistance to locations such as NYC -- and refusing for way too long to have the international flights shut dow --along with isolation and quarantine

Today he's ordered no testing, temperature checking, no masks, no tracking, etc. for international travelers entering the US.  This is murder, depravity without a bottom and treason.  Not to mention utter destruction of the US's economy.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/09/09/us/trump-vs-biden

President Trump acknowledged to the journalist Bob Woodward that he had knowingly played down the coronavirus earlier this year even though he was aware it was “deadly” and vastly more serious than the seasonal flu.

“This is deadly stuff,” Mr. Trump told Mr. Woodward on Feb. 7 in one of a series of interviews he conducted with the president for his upcoming book, “Rage.” The Washington Post and CNN were given advance copies of the book and published details on Wednesday.

“You just breathe the air and that’s how it’s passed,” Trump said. “And so that’s a very tricky one. That’s a very delicate one. It’s also more deadly than even your strenuous flu.”

That was a vastly different story than Mr. Trump was telling the public.

“I wanted to always play it down,” Mr. Trump told Mr. Woodward on March 19. “I still like playing it down, because I don’t want to create a panic.”

The national security adviser, Robert O’Brien, warned the president on Jan. 28 that the coronavirus represented the “biggest national security threat” of his presidency, according to CNN’s account of the book, but Mr. Trump later said he did not remember the warning.

At the White House press briefing on Wednesday, shortly after the book’s contents were made public in press reports, the press secretary, Kayleigh McEnany, claimed that the president, who intentionally misled the public about the virus, had not lied.  

7 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Oh my sweet summer child.

I'm...not sure how I'm being naive? Are you saying he's going to choke during the debates? Or that Trump will be able to string more than a 3 word sentence together?

Trump and Republicans have spent the past 6 months saying he's one step down from senility, and that he's homebound to boot. 50 million Americans will see Trump lumbering to the lectern, while Biden will practically run up there. Biden will sound forceful and decisive, if he speaks like he is now, which a ton of people will see, since Trump has set the bar so low. That's why they're trying to walk it back by accusing Biden of taking PEDs. 

I mean yeah, Biden may choke, but if he doesn't, then Trump's strategy is shot.

Yeah, the tapes are out, arent they?

I gotta say, some of these events are uncontrollable, but in the past week we've had the Atlantic report, the Cohen book and now the Woodward tapes all come out. In terms of strategy this is terrible; I'd like for there to be a steady drip, drip, drip so Trump is always on the defensive, forever explaining while none of his 'sleepy Joe' attacks work. There are still the tax returns to come, so we could have a good month of simply horrendous news for Trump. Instead, its all happening 2 months out.

2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yeah, the tapes are out, arent they?

I gotta say, some of these events are uncontrollable, but in the past week we've had the Atlantic report, the Cohen book and now the Woodward tapes all come out. In terms of strategy this is terrible; I'd like for there to be a steady drip, drip, drip so Trump is always on the defensive, forever explaining while none of his 'sleepy Joe' attacks work. There are still the tax returns to come, so we could have a good month of simply horrendous news for Trump. Instead, its all happening 2 months out.

Well, given the % of people who are going to vote early in this election is going to be way up, maybe the timing isn't as bad as you are fearing?

8 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I'm...not sure how I'm being naive? Are you saying he's going to choke during the debates? Or that Trump will be able to string more than a 3 word sentence together?

Trump and Republicans have spent the past 6 months saying he's one step down from senility, and that he's homebound to boot. 50 million Americans will see Trump lumbering to the lectern, while Biden will practically run up there. Biden will sound forceful and decisive, if he speaks like he is now, which a ton of people will see, since Trump has set the bar so low. That's why they're trying to walk it back by accusing Biden of taking PEDs. 

I remember watching the debates in 2016 and thinking there was no way Trump could recover. It was one thing for people to be blind to his patent unfitness when all they were seeing were 30 second snippets on the news, but after the debates, when people finally tune in in large numbers, there was just no way they were going to watch that performance, see his absolute vacuity,  his utter lack of command of any of the issues on full display, and still vote for him in large enough numbers to make him remotely viable. So I thought. 

7 minutes ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

I remember watching the debates in 2016 and thinking there was no way Trump could recover. It was one thing for people to be blind to his patent unfitness when all they were seeing were 30 second snippets on the news, but after the debates, when people finally tune in in large numbers, there was just no way they were going to watch that performance, see his absolute vacuity,  his utter lack of command of any of the issues on full display, and still vote for him in large enough numbers to make him remotely viable. So I thought. 

That was a much different election then.

Btw...Woodward released the tapes.

15 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

8 minutes ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

This. It has nothing to do with Biden, I think he'll do fine.

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

This. It has nothing to do with Biden, I think he'll do fine.

Right; but Trump isn't a magician. Will his support completely collapse all at once? No. But I believe he's dying a death of a thousand cuts. He will hem and haw and claim victory in the election, but I don’t think he will win. 

Come Inauguration Day, if I'm wrong, and Trump won, you get to choose my custom title for a month.

Archived