US Politics: A small step from going viral to going postal

A Horse Named Stranger

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

Why would Democratic voters be worse than Republicans at voting in person?  Even if they were, how could we know that already, when in person voting hasn't started?

As opposed to the opioids GOP voters are on?

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

In all seriousness there's also that element where Dems are likelier to fear the virus.  

As are seniors, so...

Anyway, nobody knows anything on a completely unprecedented election until it happens.

16 minutes ago, Triskele said:

In all seriousness there's also that element where Dems are likelier to fear the virus.  

Sure.
And the Republicans attempts to make mail in vote as hard as possible-at least towards anyone they can't reasonably count on-seniors.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

As are seniors, so...

Yep. Hench Trump urging them to vote by mail. He's trying to cover his bases. Don't think it's a bad strategy.

25 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Again, if he had severe NPD, you are trying to judge him by comparing him to someone with a full toolbox to solve and adapt to problems, he doesn't have that, he has one tool in that tool box and uses it on everything.  That is all he can do.  His great wealth/social status has shielded him from most of the fallout and he continues on because all his actions and energy are focused on fulfilling the grandiose self image that he has of himself.  He has no room for anything else.

This is also binary. ;)

But to your latter point, it is a fascinating nature vs. nurture case. Have you bothered to read Mary Trump's book? 

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

As are seniors, so...

Anyway, nobody knows anything on a completely unprecedented election until it happens.

This feels like it needs some kind of Back to the Future reference, especially since Biff was inspired by Trump. 

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is also binary. ;)

But to your latter point, it is a fascinating nature vs. nurture case. Have you bothered to read Mary Trump's book? 

It is, but more to illustrate a point.  Our personality is really a social tool box in which we relate to the world.  It is why all the personality disorders have traits that "normal" people share because those attributes are tools in that tool box.  We identify an interaction and then use the appropriate tool to resolve said interaction.  Someone with a personality disorder has a limited tool box.  They can only approach each interaction from the perspective enforced by the disorder.  The more severe the disorder, the more limited the tool box is.  Trump, if he has NPD and it feels like he does, has a limited tool box in which to address any interaction.  So anything he does, if you believe he has NPD, needs to be viewed from that lens. 

Like maybe his lack of education, in his mind, why does he need to learn anything when he already knows everything?  Now most people with NPD when confronted with the reality that that lack of education would bring would run into some conflict and issues.  Trump?  His wealth and social status shielded him from that consequence.

My understanding of personality disorders is that they are genetic (genetic predispositions), but then reinforced through nurturing.  You basically treat them by building a bridge with the therapist who acts as your personality compass and tool box, until the other person is ready to then use those tools on their own.  The hardest two, and most dangerous, from what I have heard to treat is APD, followed by NPD.

ETA:  Not yet, I will probably read it once this guy is out of office.  I can only handle so much Trump.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

As are seniors, so...

Seniors who fear the virus are likely the D voters who are in that demographic. There are some in that demo. 

12 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Seniors who fear the virus are likely the D voters who are in that demographic. There are some in that demo. 

And again, you have no idea of knowing this:

Traditionally, there has been little difference in the partisan breakdown in who votes by mail, so this is a new phenomenon.

Perhaps as interesting is we're seeing some traditional vote-by-mail divides be eliminated in our data. Usually, older people are those who vote by mail in larger numbers. In our data, those under the age of 45 seem about as likely to say they'll vote by mail as those 45 years and older in an average across Arizona, Florida and Michigan.

One reason that the age divide is closing is that younger people are more likely to be Democrats. And with Trump arguing against voting by mail, it shouldn't be surprising that we're seeing changes in the types of people who will cast a ballot by mail.

Now, I should note that saying you're going to cast a ballot by mail and actually doing so may end up being two different things. Many Democrats may be saying they'll vote by mail just because they want to register disapproval with Trump. Likewise, many Republicans may say they'll vote in-person to register approval of him.

As Monmouth University pollster Patrick Murray and Edison Research's Joe Lenski have noted, the gaps we've been seeing between Democrats and Republicans voting by mail in primaries hasn't been nearly as large as some polling data may have suggested.

44 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

ETA:  Not yet, I will probably read it once this guy is out of office.  I can only handle so much Trump.

I'll address your post tomorrow, but I would suggest reading it. How often do you get that kind of first person perspective from an actual psychologist? 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'll address your post tomorrow, but I would suggest reading it. How often do you get that kind of first person perspective from an actual psychologist? 

Oh yep, it is on my reading list, but, for my own sanity, after he is out of office.

16 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

But concerns have elevated since then yes?

Concerns about what? That election was April wasn't it? The heart of the health crisis. Also, it's not Democratic defeatism. The official term is Democratic bed-wetting. And there is a lot of that going on here.

6 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

If NPD means narcissist personality disorder, that is what I was always referring to. I have diagnosed personality disorders irl and while the narcissist types were often quite transparent, they usually were not morons.

I totally agee about the responsibility thing (it's also what his niece describes). And he will never be fully held responsible; I'd bet good money he won't go to jail.

I also believe that he has other mental conditions, so what comes across as dumb may also be related to that.

He's probably cluster B.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/515883-doj-steps-up-defense-of-catholic-high-school-that-fired-a-gay-teacher

Hmm, a sad example of cancel culture that will hardly ever be brought up in discussion of it.

If this had been a teacher fired at a private school for being homophobic, they’re be a truckload of right wingers crying about this infringes on their rights.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

I didn't say anything about voting by mail.

I was just observing that genuine and significant concern about the virus appears to be a somewhat partisan issue (not all Rs and not all Ds of course). So seniors who will choose not to vote in person because of concern about the virus are more likely to be Ds (or more accurately, perhaps, Biden preferring voters). Whether they vote by mail or not is a different issue. Possibly they will simply stay at home. Though I understand commitment to voting is a bit higher in the older age demographics, so perhaps making an effort to vote despite fears of the virus will still be high among seniors.

10 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So seniors who will choose not to vote in person because of concern about the virus are more likely to be Ds (or more accurately, perhaps, Biden preferring voters). Whether they vote by mail or not is a different issue. Possibly they will simply stay at home.

And I'm observing that you have no way of knowing this - which is why I quoted Enten's piece.  Could be Dem seniors are more likely to vote by mail.  Could be they're just saying that to identify with Biden, and vice versa for GOP seniors.  Particularly considering the gap found in recent polling was not found during the post-covid primaries.

Trump is evil, and a conman. He gets on in life doing things that would be repellent to a normal person. He is parroting people, so seems smarter than he is until he is unchained and then the mindless lies comes out. He is obviously getting strategic guidance from other people. He stokes violence and that is his gift. 

I discounted the racist remarks about football players because I thought it was vile and not to be taken seriously. My being offended seemed irrelevant. My support for Colin Kaepernick is not helpful. I didn’t get the memo about color in the sport until later. I liked Russell Wilson because he is is fun to watch and he was magical with Marshawn Lynch! In college football, I would cheer for good plays but didn’t watch much. Never thought of it as a political vehicle accept as just one more vile thing Trump says but now I get it ?(race baiting as well as population manipulation)

Archived