US Politics: A small step from going viral to going postal

A Horse Named Stranger

Some people admire Trumps misogyny, tragic but sad. Come for the misogyny, stay for the racism, pretend to have religion. Be reckless about nuclear secrets and Kim Jon Un. Notice how Trump preens over  being called your excellency, because he likes it.  Stay quiet with this jerk and let him puke up his nonsense with a tape recorder running. Woodward is a very skilled interviewer. Yes, the book was probably rushed. If Trump loses, fewer book sales about Trump.

22 minutes ago, Fez said:

I don't entirely agree about debates not mattering at all. I don't think they matter that much, but I think Romney got a real, and lasting, boost from his first debate with Obama. It wasn't enough to win, but I think it did help close the gap. And if Romney had been closer beforehand, it might've been enough.

Granted, things are even more polarized 8 years later. But I think either Trump or Biden could get a small boost. But it wouldn't be enough to win the debate, it would have to be an overwhelming win (which, to be honest, Romney got over Obama that first debate).

Conventional wisdom has been that incumbent presidents suffer from the first debate, because they have to appear as an equal to their opponent, which gives their opponent additional gravitas.  I don't know if Trump has no gravitas or if he's all gravitas and no substance. 

Regardless, I don't think the debate will be as important as the 2012 one.  Obama relied on being seen as highly competent.  Trump does not rely on that. 

13 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Regardless, I don't think the debate will be as important as the 2012 one.  Obama relied on being seen as highly competent.  Trump does not rely on that. 

That reminds me of an old Russian joke somehow.

A guy on the Red Square screams Leonid Ilyich [Brezhnev] is an idiot. Naturally the guy gets arrested. His sentence 15 years in a Gulag. 3 years for insulting the head of the party and 12 for giving away state secrets.

Anyway, shall I address the letters to cage 9 in Oklahoma, when the guys from ICE in their black vans stop near your house? :leaving:

54 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Conventional wisdom has been that incumbent presidents suffer from the first debate, because they have to appear as an equal to their opponent, which gives their opponent additional gravitas.  I don't know if Trump has no gravitas or if he's all gravitas and no substance. 

I don't think it was just that; though I agree that was part of it. I also think it was that throughout the summer Romney was mostly defined in swing voters minds as the way that Obama's advertising blitz described him. That first debate, Obama gave Romney too many openings to redefine himself for those voters as something other than just an out-of-touch, uncaring plutocrat.

John Kennedy is getting shredded on CNN

ETA: He tried to pull the "I haven't read the transcripts..." BS, so the anchor (not familiar with her name - Pam?) - so she played the tapes for him live on air.

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I know the Nobel Peace Prize has been a bit of a joke for quite a while, but Trump nominated... please tell me that's a joke!

He was nominated a couple of years ago as well. Apparently there can be hundreds of nominees in a single year so it's not much of an achievement to be nominated, although I'm sure that wouldn't stop him boasting about it.

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I know the Nobel Peace Prize has been a bit of a joke for quite a while, but Trump nominated... please tell me that's a joke!

As I recall being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize is really easy. The number of people allowed to nominate people is pretty large so "Nobel peace prize nominee" isn't a distinction worth anything.

5 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Anyone in the world who is a member of national legislature can nominate someone for the Nobel Peace Prize. This is not like the Oscars where "nominees" are a small group whittled down from the universe of possibilities. Scores of people are nominated every year. I would have been shocked if there was no congressional Republican in the USA who had nominated Trump. 

Actually, it was apparently a right-wing Norwegian lawmaker, and... he missed the deadline for the nomination. Phew.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/9/9/1976113/-What-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-Bogus-Trump-Nomination-for-a-Nobel-Peace-Prize

You gotta give it to The Lincoln Project: They are fast!

(Sorry, I failed to copy the video only)

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I get the feeling that most Trumpanzees know on some level that Trump is a depraved piece of garbage, but he's their depraved piece of garbage. 

I look at it this way: Hillary Clinton was judged to have won all three debates, for what good it did her.

(You know, HRC has a great supervillain story. She's the competent politician who was far more skilled and honest than her opponent, and who was 100% right about how terrible he was, but lost anyway because Americans hate her for [reasons]. I could see her as Nasty Woman, plotting to hurl an asteroid at the US, and that would be fair.)

I'm paying attention to right-wing media to see how they're reacting, and you start to notice a certain pattern - they're all playing defense, and the cover they're offering will only play to the base. It won't play to soccer moms pissed off that they're having to homeschool their kids. Trump may not lose any support, but we don't need him to. We just need his people to get depressed and stay home, and to peel off the people defending him.

One thing is certain - we know anyone who is staying in the administration is unutterably corrupt and tainted.

10 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I'm paying attention to right-wing media to see how they're reacting, and you start to notice a certain pattern - they're all playing defense, and the cover they're offering will only play to the base. It won't play to soccer moms pissed off that they're having to homeschool their kids. Trump may not lose any support, but we don't need him to. We just need his people to get depressed and stay home, and to peel off the people defending him.

One thing is certain - we know anyone who is staying in the administration is unutterably corrupt and tainted.

Was telling my wife this earlier - Dems need to have some novel attack lined up every news cycle from here to the election. Trump playing defense is far preferable to letting him drive the narrative. 

Democrats Take Aim At Susan Collins’ Lobbyist Husband As Maine Race Heats Up
The senator backed policies that benefited her husband’s consulting business. Republicans target Sara Gideon’s husband in attack ads, too.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/democrats-susan-collins-lobbyist-husband-maine-senate-race_n_5f4da0b8c5b697186e3a2a5c

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) pushed and voted for policies that benefited her husband’s consulting and lobbying business, positions Democrats are set to attack in what is quickly becoming one of the most contentious and expensive Senate races in the country. 

21 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Look, I know that I've snarked before about lich country, other country that should be respected that's not 100% lich, etc..

But enough time has passed. WTF still holds.  

MORTAL APE WITH A REVOLVER!! DARE YOU STAND ATHWART MY PLANS FOR ASCENSION?!?!

3 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Actually, it was apparently a right-wing Norwegian lawmaker, and... he missed the deadline for the nomination. Phew.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/9/9/1976113/-What-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-Bogus-Trump-Nomination-for-a-Nobel-Peace-Prize

He is nominated - for next year's prize. Just to be clear :)

Christian Tybring-Gjedde, one of our local parlamentary jokes, does know enough to not botch that part. But I bet you the nomination is all about publicity.

Also, it may not be just publicity for his own sake. If I am to speculate (and why not?), his wife, previously a Minister for Public Security, is now peripherally catching heat owing to a trial where the spouse of one of our former Ministers of Justice is accused of fabricating threats against herself and her family.

Archived