Who is the Darry Cousin?

Isobel Harper

A more significant lordship by far was granted to Ser Lancel Lannister. Joffrey awarded him the lands, castle, and rights of House Darry, whose last child lord had perished during the fighting in the riverlands, "leaving no trueborn heirs of lawful Darry blood, but only a bastard cousin."

ACoK, Sansa VIII

Lannisters gave the seat of Darry to Lancel instead of this cousin.

Any ideas of who that might be?  Someone in the Brotherhood without Banners perhaps?  Someone else who (like Darry) were/are strong Targaryen supporters?

I don't think it really matters who that bastard cousin even is. Regardless of whether they were male or female, they were not officially members of House Darry, so they posed virtually no challenge to Lancel Lannister.

But to indulge you, I would personally bet that we've probably met them already, lurking somewhere in the corners of when Jaime Lannister visited Castle Darry. If I had a copy of Feast for Crows, I'd check back and see if there were anyone described that I'd pick as my specific guess. The point is they're not going to matter, as they've been swept aside as easily as the dozens of minor lordlings and knights whose families were disinherited post - Blackwater.

4 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

I don't think it really matters who that bastard cousin even is. Regardless of whether they were male or female, they were not officially members of House Darry, so they posed virtually no challenge to Lancel Lannister.

But to indulge you, I would personally bet that we've probably met them already, lurking somewhere in the corners of when Jaime Lannister visited Castle Darry. If I had a copy of Feast for Crows, I'd check back and see if there were anyone described that I'd pick as my specific guess. The point is they're not going to matter, as they've been swept aside as easily as the dozens of minor lordlings and knights whose families were disinherited post - Blackwater.

There's a trend in the story of the male line dying out, leaving women and illegitimate offspring to inherit.  Darry is in fact one of these families. 

Darry may just be that, part of a trend.  But Darry being a prominent place in the story, what with Lady dying there and the succession issue being highlighted in Feast, I feel like a succession issue will become a greater issue in the future.  (Lannisters only formally settled the succession issue by the Lancel-Amerei marriage, which is now annulled.)

There are a few living Rivers, assuming this bastard is named Rivers, who have been mentioned where we don't know both parents. Walder Frey has a bunch of bastards with the last name Rivers, including Jeyne, Martyn, Mellara, Ronel, and Ryger. We don't know the mothers for any of these. It's possible one is a Darry. The other one I can think of is Tristan Rivers from the Golden Company. We don't know anything about his parents.

1 hour ago, Isobel Harper said:

There's a trend in the story of the male line dying out, leaving women and illegitimate offspring to inherit.  Darry is in fact one of these families. 

I always thought that it may be a deliberate plan by Varys to give lordships The Golden Company can marry into.

Then again, it may just be commentary on the causes of war.

14 hours ago, Groo said:

There are a few living Rivers, assuming this bastard is named Rivers, who have been mentioned where we don't know both parents. Walder Frey has a bunch of bastards with the last name Rivers, including Jeyne, Martyn, Mellara, Ronel, and Ryger. We don't know the mothers for any of these. It's possible one is a Darry. The other one I can think of is Tristan Rivers from the Golden Company. We don't know anything about his parents.

I didn't think to look at any Rivers!  *face palm*

Of these, Tristan Rivers seems to be the more probable candidate.  Darry are strong Targaryen supporters (ie, Willem Darry, the Targaryen tapestries).  It would make sense for an illegitimate Darry, with little chance of inheriting anyway, to leave the Seven Kingdoms to avoid having to kneel to Robert.  The Golden Company would be a welcoming group, as it was for Duck and Franklin Flowers. 

16 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Lannisters gave the seat of Darry to Lancel instead of this cousin.

Any ideas of who that might be?  Someone in the Brotherhood without Banners perhaps?  Someone else who (like Darry) were/are strong Targaryen supporters?

Old Lord Darry lost three sons on the Trident. The bastard was one of theirs.

The Darry family tree is a pretty ambiguous to begin with. If the Darry bastard cousin was mentioned when they were looking at the succession, then the castle probably passed from his father to his uncle, then to his uncle's children. The good thing this bastard cousin would be able to do is keep the Darry lands out of Frey (and Lannister) hands since both Mariya and Jeyne Darry are married to Freys. 

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

Old Lord Darry lost three sons on the Trident. The bastard was one of theirs.

It's assumed this son is one of theirs on the wiki page.  However, the quote which I give in the OP is the only true context we have in-story, as far as I know, which leaves some ambiguity.

This illegitimate son could have been "Darry," for example, via his mother, an aunt to that recently deceased child lord mentioned in OP.  And that's only if we take "cousin" as its most literal meaning - and not second cousin, cousin once removed, etc.  (Egg calls Bloodraven "cousin" in The Mystery Knight, although Bloodraven is Egg's half great uncle.)

50 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

The Darry family tree is a pretty ambiguous to begin with. If the Darry bastard cousin was mentioned when they were looking at the succession, then the castle probably passed from his father to his uncle, then to his uncle's children. The good thing this bastard cousin would be able to do is keep the Darry lands out of Frey (and Lannister) hands since both Mariya and Jeyne Darry are married to Freys. 

Good point.  Anyone wishing to keep land away from Freys (ETA and Lannisters as well)  for any reason would have incentive to assist this illegitimate son in gaining these Darry lands.  Technically, normal inheritance laws ought to apply, but someone with a grudge - say any Tully supporters, like Blackfish...  Maybe Jon and Sansa? - would want to strip Freys (and Lannisters) from any power.

14 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Richard Lonmouth = Lem Lemoncloak 

Darry cousin = Quiet Isle's Elder Brother = Ser Morgath

You can make an argument that Lonmouth is Lem, I don't agree with it, but it's certainly possible.

But I think the Elder Brother's own self reported history disqualifies him from being a Darry descendant.

Archived