Sign in to follow this  
v_a_l_i_sxoxo

Are you an animal person?

Some people have a way with animals. The critters just seem to love them because they sense that the person is calm, not harmful, and not neglectful. It comes across in animal nature everywhere. If a cat likes you, it comes up and tries to be friendly. You're deemed friendly enough to be their surrogate mom or dad. The way they respond to you is a powerful indicator of the personality you have in some respects. Animals don't trust anyone, and if you can become their friend, then it speaks well about your nature.

What are some of the stories of best animal interactions on the list going from best to only better than the best? 

We all love them, do we not?

How long til this thread gets shut down for overly explicit furry talk?

It's a family board!

The best interactions between human and animal happen when they are both in the same environment, yes. It means the animal rules the house. 

A bit of a contrary tale for this topic, but I'm basically the opposite of an animal person. Never had a pet before in my life and never wanted one (too lazy to put up with all the responsibilities of being a pet owner). May have inherited this from my parents who both despised pets (my Mum would say "animals don't belong in a house" and my dad was the type who owned guns so he could shoot birds that tried to eat the produce off his various fruit trees).

I think dogs used to sense some sort of negative energy in me because when I was a kid, I had several encounters with dogs that, for no reason, would growl aggressively at me and treat me like I was some sort of threat. This stopped though when I became fully grown. It was weird.

I guess animals like me, cats and dogs approach me but then I get tense and ignore them, because I do not like them - actually I love animals / I am interested in them a lot, but at a proper distance. Love to read about and observe them. On the other hand I got nothing against insects crawling on me. I prefer a beetle on my palm to a cat on my lap.

Edited by broken one

Hypothetically, if you hate cats and dogs, and they hate you, but you're really extroverted and people are drawn to you, are you not also an animal person? 

Dolphins like me and respond to me and ignore other people when I am around. I was at a theme park and my daughter wanted to see the dolphins. The trainer said it was their rest time and they don't like to interact with humans then but to put you hand in the water,palm up and see if they come to you.  My daughter did and none came up to her. I was just watching all this and the dolphins came to me so I put my hand in and they let me pat them but when anyone else came they backed away.

A second encounter was on a wild dolphin cruise. we went on a cruise to see wild dolphins and the crew had a bucket of fish to attract them. I was on the opposite rail of the boat so that the boat would not list as everyone else was looking for the dolphins on one side. No dolphins came and I heard the crewman say that it was funny none had come yet. I then looked over my side rail and there they were, all looking up at me. I tried to whisper to my daughter that they were here but she kept saying no they aren't here yet. finally I had to say it in a loud voice and everyone else came rushing over to see them.

Dolphins like me the best.

55 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Dolphins like me and respond to me and ignore other people when I am around. I was at a theme park and my daughter wanted to see the dolphins. The trainer said it was their rest time and they don't like to interact with humans then but to put you hand in the water,palm up and see if they come to you.  My daughter did and none came up to her. I was just watching all this and the dolphins came to me so I put my hand in and they let me pat them but when anyone else came they backed away.

A second encounter was on a wild dolphin cruise. we went on a cruise to see wild dolphins and the crew had a bucket of fish to attract them. I was on the opposite rail of the boat so that the boat would not list as everyone else was looking for the dolphins on one side. No dolphins came and I heard the crewman say that it was funny none had come yet. I then looked over my side rail and there they were, all looking up at me. I tried to whisper to my daughter that they were here but she kept saying no they aren't here yet. finally I had to say it in a loud voice and everyone else came rushing over to see them.

Okay, Hank....

Yes.

ETA:

I have a 15 year old Australian cattle dog mix, Darcy, and my roommate has a 10 yr old pointer/lab and 8 month old mutt, and a 6yr old cat.  I like having all of them around, but arranging for a dog sitter can be difficult to find at short notice.  I have never boarded or kenneled my dog, and if all else fails I usually drive her to my mom's house 2.5 hours away where she's always welcome.  

I grew up with lots of animals, my mom worked groundskeeping at a park that had a sanctuary for abandoned/injured animals that couldn't be released to the wild.  We had, as pets at home, peacocks, goats, raccoons*, squirrels, hamsters, guinea pigs, dogs, cats, mice, fish, turtles, snakes, ferrets.

Don't know what it would be like NOT to have a dog.  Darcy and I have lived in a van, on a boat, driven cross country a couple times. She's explored coastal southern california and Maine with me in a kayak, climbed the tallest mountains in the North East US, and hiked thousands of miles with me.  A couple years ago though that had to end when she got heat exhaustion and had to be carried down 3 miles off of Franconia Ridge.  No more long or strenuous hikes for her.  Now she mostly she lounges around the house and yard and stares at the river all day tolerating the puppy.  

*The racoons were great pets when they were juveniles but when they reached adulthood they just shit everywhere and ended up going to a couple of different sanctuaries.  Also had to re-home the peafowl due to many noise complaints.  

Now that I live in a right-to-farm community have thought about getting a few peacocks, I love hearing their ridiculously loud screeches and calls.

Edited by larrytheimp
Eta

I love dogs and cats. IMO dogs are a little easier to take care of than they are given credit for. The biggest thing is if you leave town a lot (which I do not anymore), having to board them or whatever, but the day to day is really easy. I put food and water in a bowl, give him a bath every now and then, give him a good walk - which is also good for me, and then he sleeps like 90% of the day. I used to be one of those people who thought a dog was just gonna be a ton of work, but now that I’ve had a couple of them, it really isn’t. They add more to your life than they take away through whatever inconveniences they come with.

with that said, I DO NOT like being approached by strange dogs. When we lived in Austin a lot of the people in the parks in the area there would let their dogs off leash to form little dog packs and run around all over the fucking place. Austin has a lot of nice parks but it got to the point where we basically stopped going. Not at all uncommon for a strange dog or dogs to arrive at my chillin spot with an owner nowhere in sight. More than once we saw unleashed and unwatched dogs fighting to the point of drawing blood. 

I love my dog, I know him and I know what he is and isn’t going to do - but I would never assume that just because I know that my dog is safe that every person in the world is also going to know that my dog is a harmless mop of fur. So please, unless you are right next to your dog, keep it the fuck away from me. 

Edited by S John

6 hours ago, maarsen said:

When the oceans rise the dolphins will remember. Yes they will remember those who mocked me.

15 hours ago, maarsen said:

Are you...(whispers) Aquaman?!:D

I've always had a bit of an affinity with animals.  I love both cats and dogs and I've never really understood why it seems at least some people think they must choose between them?  A gray mackeral tabby tomcat my parents took in would come and go around the place, as cats do, and he routinely slept in my crib with me (this was the late 60s).  Also, even though I didn't grow up on a farm, I spent a lot of time on relatives' and others' farms as a kid and got along quite well with all the animals they had.  The only ones I remember having any trouble with were some of my paternal grandparents' roosters.  But they were a-holes that would come after practically anyone.  Oh, and there may have been a couple of cantankerous goats around but, again, they didn't like anyone.   

Right now, my family and I have the extreme good fortune to be claimed by a wonderful nine year old tortoiseshell cat.  She's definitely my buddy!  They all say she likes me best and it's true...but only because I'm her most leal servant (that...and mostly I feed her;)).

4 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I don’t trust people at all who don’t like animals

But why? You should not trust people who are not honest. I do not trust those who do not drink. Probably they got something to hide.

52 minutes ago, broken one said:

I do not trust those who do not drink

Not to bring religion into this, but all sincere Muslims don't drink. It's their holy law. Sharia u know. 

Anyway replying to the OP...

Im Dr. DOLITTLE Stark Targaryen. 

And I'm waiting for the animals to take over this planet. Not the apes. They'll eventually evolve into us stupid humans.

When the ocean rises, it's going to be Atlantis for all. So apes no, aquarians yes. 

5 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I don’t trust people at all who don’t like animals, and I think parents who raise their kids without any pets are making them weird.

There are many many reasons for parents to raise their kids without pets.