The Trouble With Peace by Joe Abercrombie [SPOILER THREAD]

Corvinus85

We also don't necessarily know what "eats" can mean. Stour was beaten by Leo, but ended up better than ever...well, until he fucked it up, but that's no reflection on Leo. Leo is broken, but his story clearly ain't done, either....

Rikke as the owl might make a shocking amount of sense.. Really, Ive grown attached to Orso. He's a good and kind person in ways that we rarely see in this series, for all his flaws. I'm hoping his mercy doesn't come back to bite him with Savine and Leo

9 hours ago, jurble said:

Can anyone check what the Maker's mark on Logen's sword looked like?  Maybe it's an owl.

I always smile when I see the brand of whisky called Maker's Mark, just as I do when I see Fray Bentos pies for sale.

3 hours ago, Lightsnake said:

We also don't necessarily know what "eats" can mean.

From the three previous instances (wolf eating sun, lion eating wolf, lamb eating lion) it seems that it means inflicting a heavy defeat in battle.

Joe has stated that the third book will include "flavours of the French and Russian revolutions". Therefore, I'd assume that whoever "the owl" is will be the leader of the revolutionaries; either Pike, or whoever is their true leader (be it Glokta, Khalul, Zacharus,...).

3 hours ago, Lightsnake said:

Ive grown attached to Orso. He's a good and kind person in ways that we rarely see in this series, for all his flaws.

I'm with you here, but I'm really fearful about Orso's fate. I see many similarities between him, Louis XVI and Nicholas Romanov: well-intentioned ineffectual kings, considered half-foreigners by their subjects because of their mother's origins, whose fathers died young bequeathing them troubled realms beyond the point of repair, and that didn't really understand the scope of the tide that was coming. I'm afraid that the parallels with the French and Russian revolutions extend to the fate of the king.

17 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

From the three previous instances (wolf eating sun, lion eating wolf, lamb eating lion) it seems that it means inflicting a heavy defeat in battle.

Joe has stated that the third book will include "flavours of the French and Russian revolutions". Therefore, I'd assume that whoever "the owl" is will be the leader of the revolutionaries; either Pike, or whoever is their true leader (be it Glokta, Khalul, Zacharus,...).

I'm with you here, but I'm really fearful about Orso's fate. I see many similarities between him, Louis XVI and Nicholas Romanov: well-intentioned ineffectual kings, considered half-foreigners by their subjects because of their mother's origins, whose fathers died young bequeathing them troubled realms beyond the point of repair, and that didn't really understand the scope of the tide that was coming. I'm afraid that the parallels with the French and Russian revolutions extend to the fate of the king.

Nicholas II and Louis XVI were foolish and ineffectual.  I don't think Orso is either.

5 hours ago, Lightsnake said:

We also don't necessarily know what "eats" can mean. Stour was beaten by Leo, but ended up better than ever...well, until he fucked it up, but that's no reflection on Leo. Leo is broken, but his story clearly ain't done, either....

2 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

After reading ALH, I wasn't sure any of that vision had actually occurred, but I suppose it did up to the lamb eating the lion. But how did the wolf eat the sun? Stour never invaded the Union proper, just the Protectorate. Was the burning of Uffrith meant to represent the wolf eating the sun? And besides the heavy defeat, there's also the mercy shown at the end. Leo lets Stour live, and they become allies, Orso lets Leo live, and... we'll see.

7 hours ago, SeanF said:

Nicholas II and Louis XVI were foolish and ineffectual.  I don't think Orso is either.

I agree.  They were both naïve in ways that I don't think Orso is.  Neither of them really thought they would, you know, die, whereas Orso knows and understands there are factions trying to kill him.   Nicholas II was also super-religious to the point of passivity (at least when Rasputin wasn't telling him to go to the front).  Louis didn't seem to believe the Revolution was actually happening and didn't have the force of personality or interest in stopping it. 

11 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I agree with you on both counts.  Joe's set up Orso only to knock him down.  I think Broad is owl because of the glasses.  I don't think there is a man behind the revolutionaries (Khalul is wounded or dead, Zacharus is in the Empire, Glokta is loathed). 

On 9/15/2020 at 5:40 PM, The hairy bear said:

And we've already seen Joe doing the story of a well-intentioned veteran saying that he'd had enough of violence but feels attracted to it and can't help but putting himself in violent situations. Provided there's not something significant for him to do in the third book, I think that the trilogy could have done without the character.

And much better story at that.

On 9/15/2020 at 5:40 PM, The hairy bear said:

It seems that the relationship between Savine and Orso is a widely spread rumour in Adua, as per Selest dan Heugen's comments. If so, one would expect that there would be tons of serious gossip about the paternity of Savine's child. [Savine seems to be sure that it's Leo's, and if, as it seems to be, she and Orso didn't have sex after Valbeck it's a sure thing]. I'm aware that this can still be a plot point during the next book, but I think that it's something that almost every character should have considered by now.

It kinda seems Leo was too quick to drop the issue of him being the father of Savine’s future child.

Like it should have been a major contention for Leo this manly man, is okay with potentially being made a cuck.

In ”A little hatred” Leo and Stour seemed to be a living a version of Logen.

Leo the brave courageous hero who'd show mercy to his enemies in the circle.

Stour the mass murdering psychopathic warrior King.

Troubles with peace seems to have them follow Gloka’s journey.

After extremely military success, they rush into a battle and as a result have their bodies destroyed, their reputation as someone worthy of respect finished.

Savine seems to have married someone  who turned-at least physically as of now-to be like her father.

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

And much better story at that.

It kinda seems Leo was too quick to drop the issue of him being the father of Savine’s future child.

Like it should have been a major contention for Leo this manly man, is okay with potentially being made a cuck.

If the child is even born OK.

So much alcohol is going through that kid.

Not to mention whatever the hell pearl dust might be doing. 

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

If the child is even born OK.

So much alcohol is going through that kid.

Not to mention whatever the hell pearl dust might be doing. 

Oh yeah, given it's a product of incest, Savine’s drug abuse, her body being tossed around in war, I think it's reasonable to think the baby will turn out to have so many problems.

10 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Oh yeah, given it's a product of incest, Savine’s drug abuse, her body being tossed around in war, I think it's reasonable to think the baby will turn out to have so many problems.

@The hairy bear checked the timeline.  It can't be Orso's kid unless Savine has been pregnant for over twelve months. 

5 minutes ago, Jerry Drake said:

Are you certain? I imagined that maybe a month, at the very longest, passed between Savine having sex with Orso and her having sex with Leo.

Closer to two months. I believe it is mentioned early in this book that about 4 months passed since Savine met Leo, and about 6 since the Valbeck uprising. 

By the way a lot of travelling took place in this book, all in less than 9 months for sure.

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

Closer to two months. I believe it is mentioned early in this book that about 4 months passed since Savine met Leo, and about 6 since the Valbeck uprising. 

By the way a lot of travelling took place in this book, all in less than 9 months for sure.

How long did she stay in Valbeck? It wasnt all one day, I assumed it lasted a couple of weeks, potentially bringing the dates closer. I was certain she was carrying Orso's child as I was reading

6 minutes ago, Jerry Drake said:

How long did she stay in Valbeck? It wasnt all one day, I assumed it lasted a couple of weeks, potentially bringing the dates closer. I was certain she was carrying Orso's child as I was reading

I assumed the 6 month timeline was taken from when the uprising ended, not when it began.

Archived