The Trouble With Peace by Joe Abercrombie [SPOILER THREAD]

Corvinus85

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think you are misremebering craw quite a bit. Craw was honourable as shit and would never have turned on wonderful or even stour. 

While not a hothead I also don't remember Craw trying to avoid a fight in The Heroes or the story featuring him in Sharp Ends.

I think you could get the two confused pretty easily right up until the twist at the end of ALH though.  Craw is always known as a real straight edge and was always looking to retire.

Honestly, I could almost see Joe writing the character as Craw until he came up with the idea to kill Wonderful and realized Craw won’t fit for that part.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I think you could get the two confused pretty easily right up until the twist at the end of ALH though.  Craw is always known as a real straight edge and was always looking to retire.

Honestly, I could almost see Joe writing the character as Craw until he came up with the idea to kill Wonderful and realized Craw won’t fit for that part.

Yeah, this is pretty much it. It was understandable to view Craw and Clover as fairly interchangeable right up until the end of ALH. The two characters were so similar that it isn't all that surprising that some people got them mixed up because Clover's chapters up to that point came across as "we've read all of this before".

33 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Since craw was second to threetrees, I'd say he must be close to 70. He was old already at the heroes which was about 25 or so years ago? Not how clover is described. 

Every Northman over the age of 30 is written as if they are really old.

So, does anyone know if Abercrombie plans to continue writing stories set in TFL world? I hope he does but I also hope that if he does do further standalones, that none are set in the North. I've had my fill of the North to the point that characters and conflicts are beginning to blur together. The setting has become stale too. Future standalones should be set in Gurkhul/Kanta (the Kantic continent has largely been ignored in Abercrombie's world building), the Old Empire (some interesting happenings there with Zacharus and Cawneil) and Styria again (Jappo POV, please!).

24 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

So, does anyone know if Abercrombie plans to continue writing stories set in TFL world? I hope he does but I also hope that if he does do further standalones, that none are set in the North. I've had my fill of the North to the point that characters and conflicts are beginning to blur together. The setting has become stale too. Future standalones should be set in Gurkhul/Kanta (the Kantic continent has largely been ignored in Abercrombie's world building), the Old Empire (some interesting happenings there with Zacharus and Cawneil) and Styria again (Jappo POV, please!).

I would love a past story about what ferro did when she left Adua, with her apparently insane powers. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I would love a past story about what ferro did when she left Adua, with her apparently insane powers. 

A ferro logan hookup in some remote region would be sweet.. And no, I don't think we have seen the last of the bloody nine, think he is going to die on screen.. 

I felt like I sort of defaulted Clover to be about the same as Craw in book 1, but pretty quickly it became apparent that they were rpretty different.  Craw is definitely older, such that I doubt he's still alive in this trilogy.

This discussion has made me think that perhaps the books could have been improved by making the character of Jonas Clover being Jolly Yon Cumber from the Heroes. He was friends with Wonderful, he disliked Craw's "straight edge" approach, and his actions in The Heroes would be consistent with Jonas persona in the books (even their names are very similar!) :)

On 10/24/2020 at 3:16 PM, Nicomo Cosca said:

Very interesting blurb. It's clear than Brock's story is far from over, and will emerge as a hero of the revolutionaries. And I'm curious about which kind of path towards "redemption" Savine is going to follow.

22 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

This discussion has made me think that perhaps the books could have been improved by making the character of Jonas Clover being Jolly Yon Cumber from the Heroes. He was friends with Wonderful, he disliked Craw's "straight edge" approach, and his actions in The Heroes would be consistent with Jonas persona in the books (even their names are very similar!) :)

Very interesting blurb. It's clear than Brock's story is far from over, and will emerge as a hero of the revolutionaries. And I'm curious about which kind of path towards "redemption" Savine is going to follow.

That definitely would have worked for me. Like most of you whenever i read Clover's chapters i kept thinking of him as one of the dudes we saw in the Heroes. 

Re-reading the Heroes now and Clover really doesn’t seem to be much like Craw imo. Don’t we meet Clover as a sword fighting instructor and I never got the sense Craw was anything other than average as a fighter. Also as has been mentioned Clover never really comes off as a straight edge like Craw. Idk I never got them confused. 

I hope we get to see Calders reaction to Clover betraying him and Stour. 

My copy arrived today, with several other books, all of which I want to read right now -- all of them!  :rofl:  As if there's not going to be a very long dark buncha months ahead in which to read.

Archived