The Trouble With Peace by Joe Abercrombie [SPOILER THREAD]

Corvinus85

A big theme in Abercrombie’s books is that nothing really changes, especially people’s character. It’s hard to believe that this touted “big change” will actually end up with any true change. 

Personally, I like the back story and the magical element to the story the most. I think the world has a great “origin story” even though Abercrombie has strayed from the more fantastical elements since the ending of the first trilogy.

Thats’s a long way of saying that I wouldn’t want things to truly change if it meant that there’s no prevalent fantastical elements to the story caused by something like the death of Bayaz. I wouldn’t find it interesting reading about backstabbing interns at Ardua largest consulting firm 300 years after this latest book. The change I would find most interesting would be a new portal is ripped open to the Other Side and magic comes back in full. But that’s me personally.

• 1 month later...

am only halfway through this, but am appreciating that the conspiracy is literally intended to "make the union great again" (147)--MUGA rather than MAGA--to "guide the country back to its founding principles" (id.), noting specifically that it "just feels like there are too many brown faces around" (159). (MAGA works if its make adua great again, though.)  

Archived