The Trouble With Peace by Joe Abercrombie [SPOILER THREAD]

Corvinus85

9 hours ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

Something that jumped out to me like it was important (but not entirely clear to me why) was that Sulfur seemed pretty surprised and alarmed when Orso spares Leo like Bayaz would most certainly strongly disapprove.  

Why does Bayaz need Leo dead rather than imprisoned?  Feels like it portends something significant about Leo.

Leo was a manifest traitor.  Sparing him out of sympathy was an error that will not be forgiven in Abercrombie's world.

I’d just like to point out that with @Walter the Singing Wildcat’s bump of this thread and the other thread asking in general about Joe... we once again have multiple Abercrombie threads on the first page.  Well done.  Well done indeed.

We are firmly on the path to Make Westeros.org Literature Great Again!

Perhaps I should bump the old general thread... just to head off any questions about what order to read the books? :dunno: 

4 hours ago, Quijote Light said:

But then we’ll need a thread explaining which order to read the threads. 

Valid concern.  Maybe a sticky topic at the top of the page would be warranted.

7 hours ago, SeanF said:

Leo was a manifest traitor.  Sparing him out of sympathy was an error that will not be forgiven in Abercrombie's world.

It definitely seems odd given the world that we've seen depicted that Leo would be granted mercy.  And indeed, it is odd.  It is occurring not because of any appraisal of the facts, but out of Orso's misplaced desire to make amends with Leo's wife.  The fact that Orso would extend clemency for such a trivial reason and to Leo alone screams of injustice.  And Orso is pretty short on friends at the moment. 

16 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It definitely seems odd given the world that we've seen depicted that Leo would be granted mercy.  And indeed, it is odd.  It is occurring not because of any appraisal of the facts, but out of Orso's misplaced desire to make amends with Leo's wife.  The fact that Orso would extend clemency for such a trivial reason and to Leo alone screams of injustice.  And Orso is pretty short on friends at the moment. 

Leo and Savine are the Harry and Meghan of the Union.

13 hours ago, Rhom said:

Perhaps I should bump the old general thread... just to head off any questions about what order to read the books? :dunno: 

You have to be realistic about these things

I actually searched quite diligently for any JA threads before finding this one and now worry that I have committed some great sin again this board and do apologize.  

ETA:  For what it's worth, I still sorta wonder if Leo being spared portends something, but another possibility that you all have alluded to is that this actually sets up a conflict between Orso and Big B himself.  Like many of you, I upgraded Orso several levels in the final acts of this book, so now this sounds quite alright if this is where we're headed.  

54 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

I actually searched quite diligently for any JA threads before finding this one and now worry that I have committed some great sin again this board and do apologize.  

ETA:  For what it's worth, I still sorta wonder if Leo being spared portends something, but another possibility that you all have alluded to is that this actually sets up a conflict between Orso and Big B himself.  Like many of you, I upgraded Orso several levels in the final acts of this book, so now this sounds quite alright if this is where we're headed.  

No, that’s fine.  We enjoy discussing JA.

1 hour ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

2 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

Thanks, dude!  

But also you guys like debating the shit out of how to read JA?  Is is not kind of like a linear progression?  

1) Welcome to the board.  As the resident Kentucky fan, I suppose it’s too much to hope that your Wildcat moniker is some sort of homage to the greatest tradition in college basketball... but I digress.

2) It’s a bit of an in joke around here where several folks asked how to read the standalone JA books.  You found the right thread to discuss the current state of affairs in the First Law world.

Hope you stick around.

12 minutes ago, Rhom said:

1) Welcome to the board.  As the resident Kentucky fan, I suppose it’s too much to hope that your Wildcat moniker is some sort of homage to the greatest tradition in college basketball... but I digress.

2) It’s a bit of an in joke around here where several folks asked how to read the standalone JA books.  You found the right thread to discuss the current state of affairs in the First Law world.

Hope you stick around.

OK, dude, on #1 that is pretty fucking incredible.  Not sure what tradition this is, just recall a badass Kentucky Wildcat who sang.

On #2 thanks for this feedback but still not sure I follow.  I know that JA has a blog and everything but like is there any question about the sequence of the books in this world?  Y'all are messing with me, I'm sure now.  

We should brace ourselves by a new influx of "in what order should I read Abercrombie's books?" threads in the near future. When "The Devils" is published, he'll have 13 books in the market with three different legitimate starting books to start reading. I can only shiver thinking about the myriad of existential doubts and endless debates on the most appropriate reading order. :eek:

2 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

We should brace ourselves by a new influx of "in what order should I read Abercrombie's books?" threads in the near future. When "The Devils" is published, he'll have 13 books in the market with three different legitimate starting books to start reading. I can only shiver thinking about the myriad of existential doubts and endless debates on the most appropriate reading order. :eek:

Almost no information about the new book whatsoever, but I'm as excited as shit. 

7 hours ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

OK, dude, on #1 that is pretty fucking incredible.  Not sure what tradition this is, just recall a badass Kentucky Wildcat who sang.

Ah... Walter McCarty... alas...

3 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I hadn’t seen that before.  Interesting.  With a name like “The Devils” it sounds like it would naturally fit in TFL world; but he’s going entirely new setting.  Thanks for sharing.  I don’t check Joe’s blog all that often.

On 3/10/2021 at 3:29 AM, The hairy bear said:

Wait. “New world”

So The Devils will be a brand new series in a new setting?

Edit: Ok.  Just saw the post above. So yep. 

Archived