Football: New Season, but same old Messi at Barca and elsewhere.

A Horse Named Stranger

I really hoped for somebody to else to start new thread. But since nobody bothered to.

Regarding Leeds. Yeah, looks like they might cause a good amount of teams trouble on a good day. But I reserve judgement, of a) how sustainable it is b) if they were really so good, or Liverpool just bad.

But then again, I think Leeds cb pairing will improve over the course of the season. Koch had just joined, and will need a bit before he is settled in.

German Football also started this WE with the first round of the German Cup. Hertha Berlin has exited the stage yesterday already. But the story of the round involves Schalke. No, not new Corona cases, or racist ramblings from Tönnies. Footballing or rather not footballing news, and this time they are clearly not at fault.

A court has stopped their first round game against Schweinfurt.

Small explanation of how qualifying for the cup works. The clubs who played Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 are automatically qualified, so are teh top 4 finsihers form the thrid tier. That's 40 clubs. The remaining 24 spots are up for grabs thru cup tournaments organized by the states FAs. Schweinfurt was one of those 24 clubs.

The Bavarian FA (ofc, it had to be Bavaria), for some reason decided to take out Türkgücü Munich out of the contention after having them awarded the promotion to the third tier.

The club has decided to take tha Bavarian FA to court over this, and managed to postpone the game, until the courts have decided whether Schweinfurt or Türkgücü is actually the legit qualifier for the Cup. Schalke is not particularly happy about this turn of events, as in that game will now presumably take place mid october, adding further pressure to this season's schedule. But hey, they are at least not playing European Football this year.

10 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I really hoped for somebody to else to start new thread. But since nobody bothered to.

Regarding Leeds. Yeah, looks like they might cause a good amount of teams trouble on a good day. But I reserve judgement, of a) how sustainable it is b) if they were really so good, or Liverpool just bad.

Having watched the game now, I think both teams were pretty good in offense but with some poor decision making in defense (these go hand in hand I think!). This game reminded me of Klopp's first season. Just an intense game of counter attack and then getting counter attacked. Leeds didn't allow Liverpool to slow the game down because they were always in Liverpool's face with the man marking. And Liverpool couldn't resist attacking all that sweet sweet space :drool: (which then lead to turn overs).

I don't know how Leeds will perform against more pragmatic teams. I expect they already came across it the last couple of years and have a plan. But the EPL defensive teams are going to have higher quality to go with the pragmatism, and are usually good at taking the few chances they create. I expect they will give top teams problems but probably drop points elsewhere.

Looking forward to Leeds vs City and Leicester matches.

14 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

This game reminded me of Klopp's first season.

There was some discussion in the last thread of what Klopp is doing with the defence and why and honestly, I think this is the clue. Klopp loves a dynamic high-press high-risk game. He's a good enough manager that he realised he didn't have the players for that in this league at Liverpool when he arrived so he re-ordered and made something somewhat calmer, but deep down he's just as comitted to audacious passing madness as Bielsa is and he's slowly re-organising things to try it again.  

16 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Reports that Chelsea are close to completing a deal for Rennes goalkeeper Edouard Mendy for a fee of €20m + €5m in add ons. 

Seems to be all but done. Romano seemed optimistic the other day. Mendy was left out of Renne's squad today. The guy has a great build at 6'6'' and still 28, though raw, late bloomer. Whether this guy is simply a bandaid or someone who can be our starter for 4-5 years is to be seen, but we need a better duo than Kepa/Caballero. Can't go another season like that. 

Romano also reporting that Chelsea are going to make a bid for Declan Rice this summer. Can't see that one getting done this window. Didn't they sell a youngster a couple weeks ago and Mark Noble (amongst others) voiced their displeasure? Can't imagine getting rid of Rice being received well either. I'd go the season and see what Kante can give us. Return to his former self or nagging injuries again? If the latter, would sell next summer and look to bring Rice in then. Not keen on playing him at CB as reports have referenced. Would rather a bright player play the position he's known for excelling at, not throwing him where we need him. Though if they do get him this window could see Lampard deploying him where needed for the season till we decide Kante's future. If Kante is likely to pick up injuries again, maybe smart to bring him in now for the inevitable. Billy Gilmour out for another couple months. 

11 minutes ago, Raja said:

James looks really good.

Doucoure not so much.

Allan's also been excellent.

Docoure's not having a great game outright, but between him and Allan Andre Gomes is getting the protection and space he needs to work, and Doucoure gives them the ability to break up the middle they didn't have last year either.

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Richarlison is not having a good game either. He's getting himself into good positions but his end product and awareness of his teammates has been poor. 

That seems to happen to him sometimes- it's almost like he's best when he has to snap-react, and when he's got a bit more time he panics. He's most happy in packed-box situations where the ball is pinging around and someone has to get a stab on it.

I'm currently watching Arsenal ladies absolutely thrash West Ham ladies. I was initially baffled why NBC worked to secure this contract while absolutely ignoring the domestic league where many of the USWNT play plus other international stars like Marta and Christine Sinclair. But after some research I've found many have moved to England including the newly signed to Tottenham Alex Morgan. Also in the league are Rose Lavelle, Christen Press, and Tobin Heath as well as Australian Sam Kerr. So that answers that. But it's also frustrating that the NWSL hasn't secured a better tv contract as well. 

Archived