Football: New Season, but same old Messi at Barca and elsewhere.

A Horse Named Stranger

Thiago Alcantara is named among the substitutes for Liverpool’s Premier League clash with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge today.

The midfielder, who completed a transfer from Bayern Munich on Friday, makes the Reds’ matchday squad for the first time after signing a long-term deal, while Kostas Tsimikas is also on the bench.

However, Jürgen Klopp’s side are without Joe Gomez (minor knock) and Joel Matip (minor muscle issue), so Fabinho lines up alongside Virgil van Dijk in the centre of defence.

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Robertson, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Keita, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Adrian, Thiago, Milner, Jones, Minamino, Tsimikas, Origi.

oh boy , Matip is made of butter, need to buy someone reliable.have a bad feeling about the game.

It’s kinda funny that the one weakness we didn’t address (Lovren replacement) is already biting us in the ass. 
I did have a big problem with Fabinho at CB purely cause he is such an important part of the midfield but after signing Thiago I’m cooler with him being fourth choice. He’s been solid when forced to play it.

2 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

It’s kinda funny that the one weakness we didn’t address (Lovren replacement) is already biting us in the ass. 
I did have a big problem with Fabinho at CB purely cause he is such an important part of the midfield but after signing Thiago I’m cooler with him being fourth choice. He’s been solid when forced to play it.

Werner vs Fab :unsure:

13 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

i get that, but Werner is pacier than Lewa , speed is not one of Fab's strength.

Same concern for me.  He’s not as familiar with the position, which matters for the offside trap, and he doesn’t have much pace.

Southampton today committed suicide by high defensive line.  It took several offsides for Spurs to time their runs, but then they could play any blind pass behind the defense because there was enough space and enough of a pace differential to make each one a guaranteed goal.  I hate to see Mourinho’s low block rewarded, but Southampton (and everyone else playing a high line) need to either cut out those passes or else have recovery pace.

I'm not saying either one is having a great game and we already know I'm not super-high on Wijnaldum but what is it you want from them that you're not getting that wouldn't be against the tactics you obviously play to? Chelsea are playing a five man central midfield and yet you're still largely pressing them back and winning that battle and then getting the ball out wide fast to where your creative game actually lies, and Henderson isn't doing that all on his own. Domination in the center is just not what your midfield is asked to do.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not saying either one is having a great game and we already know I'm not super-high on Wijnaldum but what is it you want from them that you're not getting that wouldn't be against the tactics you obviously play to? Chelsea are playing a five man central midfield and yet you're still largely pressing them back and winning that battle and then getting the ball out wide fast to where your creative game actually lies, and Henderson isn't doing that all on his own. Domination in the center is just not what your midfield is asked to do.

It's tight in the middle, sure, but pretty much everything from both of them so far has been backward to the central defenders. Keita especially I would expect to look forward more often.

Archived