Football: New Season, but same old Messi at Barca and elsewhere.

A Horse Named Stranger

Fabinho was excellent. I will say though basically what he did was win challenges one on one and step in to nick the ball; which is what he does in midfield anyway. You'd be concerned about him maybe having issues with people making runs off him and getting the offside trap right as a makeshift centre back but Chelsea never really got into a position to test him like that.

Still, I don't think we're going to able to buy a centre back to be fourth choice who's going to be more solid than that so there doesn't seem much point in spending the money. Especially if Wijnaldum stays and we have the extra option in midfield.

Great by Fabinho.  I’m sorry I had any doubts.

We were comfortably in control of that game and dominated MF to starve Werner of good service, even though Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic and Havertz together would expect to be able to hold a lot of possession.  Chelsea always have enough quality (esp. Werner) that they could snatch a goal against the run of play, and almost did with a penalty, but it would have been very lucky for them to get even a point today.  We out-played them pretty comprehensively.

For Liverpool, that’s two wins against tough opponents.  Both Salah and Mane are scoring already.  Unfortunately both Hendo and TAA show the effects of missing pre-season with injuries.  Fortunately Thiago stepped right into the team and game with zero preparation — I guess world class players can just do that.  Great to get a clean sheet but we need Joe and Joel healthy, fit and robust.  Firmino still not quite on it.  Minamino could have come on earlier there to show what he can do.

The kids and subs will play in the LC midweek.

20 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

crazy stats for Thiago - he had more passes in his 45 minutes than Chelsea.

Well, not entirely, but more passes than any Chelsea player is still pretty crazy.

He also had the most passes in the opposition half of any player in the game. He's gonna push Liverpool's creative baseline so much closer to the opposition goal.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Well, not entirely, but more passes than any Chelsea player is still pretty crazy.

He also had the most passes in the opposition half of any player in the game. He's gonna push Liverpool's creative baseline so much closer to the opposition goal.

sorry, that's what i had meant to say hehe

Archived