Football: New Season, but same old Messi at Barca and elsewhere.

A Horse Named Stranger

Patrice Evra has absolutely torn into the club hierarchy on Instagram today. Summary is that Ed Woodward is a decent fella but has no fucking clue what he's doing, Matt Judge our transfer negotiator is so arrogant that other club directors wanting to discuss transfers have to ask Evra (and presumably others) to pass on messages, that the people sent to talk to players we want to sign are lawyers, and that players get so fed up waiting for us to make a move that they end up turning us down when we eventually do. Absolute shambles.

15 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

It's bizarre to me that you'd have wallies like Evra involved in any way - I mean, he's not employed by the club any more, is he?

Him not being employed by the club is kinda the whole point of why it's a problem, but in any case though not employed he's still in contact with a lot of people there and a respected elder figure despite the clowning, so it makes sense that people talk to him.

Another part of the problem is ex-players going on social media and ranting about the club. What is he going to achieve? He gets the unhappy fans on his side, sure, but really all he's doing is embarrassing/damaging the club he claims to love.

It's unlikely to make the Glazers change things, so really all he's doing is making the club look bad/worse.

You've got to think that at some point, too, players with choices are going to start looking to avoid United if everything appears to be too much of a shitshow.

8 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Another part of the problem is ex-players going on social media and ranting about the club. What is he going to achieve? He gets the unhappy fans on his side, sure, but really all he's doing is embarrassing/damaging the club he claims to love.

Like I don't know if this was the right thing to do ultimately, but what else can he do? He's made it clear he can and does talk to Woodward, and this is what, eight years now under Woodward and we don't appear to have learned a damn thing about conducting transfer business. If we think we need a change, and we obviously do, bringing public pressure to bear seems to be the  only open avenue to have any chance of getting that done.

I guess he's not meant to do anything really - he's just a fan these days, albeit one with much more destructive potential.

This window hasn't been amazing so far, but the last two were okay, weren't they? AWB and James came in quickly last summer, and while Maguire took ages because they were trying to haggle, if they'd just caved straight away and bought him they'd have been blasted for that too.

Fernandes was good business in the winter, and this summer JCVD looks good.

I guess the biggest problem is they don't seem to have a Plan B for the right wing. It's not unreasonable to not want to spend £120m on one player during current circumstances when the club want to strengthen other positions too, but it is unreasonable to only have one dude on their shopping list.

I wonder have they taken the whole VVD-to-Liverpool saga too much to heart and are only trying to recruit their first choices?

Fernandes was good business in the winter, except that we tried to get him in summer, but failed coz we did the exact same thing we appear to be trying on Dortmund now - wait until the last possible second without upping our offer or going for any other targets, on the assumption that Sporting would cave. It's more or less what happened with Herrera who we got a year later than planned, and we had other players we tried a similar approach for too, it's not a new issue. James came in quickly but we should never have been relying on a kid stepping up from the championship as our main option and that proved true. VDB looks a tidy signing and adds creative depth, but not in new positions.

Which has been the problem for ages. We've got good signings in, although obviously some duds as well, but it's not been in enough depth or quick enough and the squad's been getting thinner and thinner.

The lack of a plan B definitely is a thing and I think it comes from a lack of the proper footballing people in place too - if the first option goes awry they just don't know where to turn. It's either that or arrogance.

39 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I guess he's not meant to do anything really - he's just a fan these days, albeit one with much more destructive potential.

Fans can and should have their say.

26 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Wolves should really be playing Traore up front in a game like this, at least then they'd have an outlet.

They haven't replaced Doherty which is a bigtime problem for them coz it means Traore is the only RWB they have. They urgently need to get him twenty yards further up the pitch.

On 9/20/2020 at 2:51 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Klopp said that Matip could be out for a while....sigh.Are there any decent defenders available who aren't made of paper sticks?

Sure, how about 30M for Kolašinac? Great - done deal.

Wait, come back - we'll throw in a low mileage German midfielder for free.

3 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Now Barca has apparently blocked Suarez moving to Atletico even though that club wasn't on their no-go list for him. What a terrible, petty organization.

Quite astonishing performance from the management there, treating a player who played so well for them with incredibly crass dismissiveness.

I suspect it might have to do with the vote of no confidence taking place (in a few weeks I think).

Bartomeu has an incentive to minimize the clubs losses before he gets kicked out (Suarez leaving on a free is not exactly doing that), and I also suspect, should Suarez succeed at Atletico (after joining on a free), it would be just be another nail in his proverbial coffin. Not that it should make a difference, he is done anyway. It was effectively over for him, when Messi spoke out. I don't think his attempts of spinning him stopping Messi from leaving as a success story is gonna fly.

Archived