Football: New Season, but same old Messi at Barca and elsewhere.

A Horse Named Stranger

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Ole hasn't adjusted the formation to get someone out there to help, and Brighton clearly knew this and were taking advantage of it.

That's exactly the point, isn't it? Brighton were exploiting the situation and Solskjaer did fuck all to rectify a glaring problem. Change the formation, bring on a player who will track back, instruct Greenwood to help out his fullback. Anything except look like a deer in the headlights and pray.

I'll also add that both Wan Bissaka and Pogba do not look match fit at all.

eta. Wan Bissaka was also tucking in too often and leaving the far post exposed on numerous occasions. March's equaliser came as a direct result of this where AWB drifted into the CB position when we had 3 CBs on the pitch and it was left to Bruno to mark the far post which should not be happening.

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Greenwood not being a winger shouldn't mean he's unaware of the concept of tracking back though. OGS should be telling the soft fucker to work harder, or subbing him off.

Well yeah. Ultimately it falls at Ole's feet.

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I think Pogba was the standout worst United player for me, amongst stiff competition.

Pogba was the one most clearly below where he can be but Lindelof or Greenwood (because of that total lack of movement back) were the worst for me.

I’m not surprised United were outplayed.  Brighton are basically the opposite of them: not a huge amount of individual talent, but very well coached and organized with a clear system and structure.  Very lucky result for United, but Brighton need to take a look at their finishing.  The woodwork was by far the best defender for United, preventing five certain goals.  Perhaps they should be inquiring about Origi or Brewster, or even Wilson.

Everton got it done again, and away from home to Palace who got a lot of praise for their start to the season.  I’m not sure how sustainable this run is because that defense still has limitations (albeit better shielded now), and DCL has limitations to his game, despite scoring again.  But they’re playing to their strengths for now, and I have a few Everton-supporting friends who are actually enjoying football again after a very long time. 

This Chelsea kit is horrendous. On top of that I turned over for a couple of minutes and missed two West Brom goals. I’d say this isn’t going well on any front for Chelsea.

On the subject of turning over Alex Morgan looks decidedly unimpressed with being sat on the bench at a National League stadium.

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

This Chelsea kit is horrendous. On top of that I turned over for a couple of minutes and missed two West Brom goals. I’d say this isn’t going well on any front for Chelsea.

On the subject of turning over Alex Morgan looks decidedly unimpressed with being sat on the bench at a National League stadium.

Just got back from a jog. Holy shit, I'm not sure what's worse, the score or those colors. 

44 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

And what’s wrong with Pogba?  I thought he was happy now to stay and be part of the team?  It doesn’t look like it.  It looks like he’s on strike as he loses the ball again and again without making any effort.

No need to play the 'gone on strike' card just yet. Weird how this accusation always seems to get leveled at Pogba even though he's never done any such thing in his entire career. Just about every United player was utter rubbish today. Pogba is also not the most diligent at chasing down opponents at the best of times but is usually much better in possession. I think it's more a case of Pogba not being match fit - he had tested positive for Covid-19 and missed most of the shortened preseason as a result.

4 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Why is he being played then? Is OGS just utterly incompetent?

Yes, Solskjaer is incompetent at squad management. I think last season proved that when he played an injured Pogba against Rochdale and Arsenal and Rashford when he had a double stress fracture.

Thiago Silva just got a rude awakening. Sleepwalking through 90% of the games for PSG in Ligue 1 is very different from being under the cosh at a poorly organised defence at Chelsea. 

Pogba has two problems - he's not fully fit (and that's very much an Ole hallmark and him doing it again has put me fully in 'he has to go' mode) and he's not great at beating the press when he's playing that position - he can do the passing really well but he doesn't know how to protect the ball when he gets pushed when deep.

Archived