Watch, Watched, Watching: We Need This!

Ramsay B.

We finished The Umbrella Academy S2.  Great entertainment, highly recommended.

We also watched the first episode of The Boys S2.  But it’s too gory for my wife, even though I love the reversal of super-heroes.

We watched Young Wallender S1, for a slightly moody detective show.  We enjoyed it.  Not as a gloomy as the original. But the accents are so dodgy: the main character and his boss both have Swedish accents, but the rest of the cast have blatantly British and even Irish accents, and everyone just pretends that they’re all Swedish!!  Even the East African immigrants have a mishmash of Nigerian and London accents. 

And since we have a BritBix subscription, we started watching A Confession, which I assumed was a regular detective show, but it’s based on real events.  Martin Freeman makes it very good, but it wouldn’t be worth watching without him.

I watched The Devil All the Time and enjoyed it. I bought the book a few years back but never read. I kinda wish I did but oh well. The cast was unsurprisingly great. Pattinson plays such a good arrogant prick, and Spider-Man can act. Trying to decide if I should recommend it to my mom since it was so brutal. Probably not.

A random thought- the score reminded me of some Horizon Zero Dawn’s music.

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Did anyone here see Refn's show Too Old to Die Young with Miles Teller? I'm shocked that I haven't heard much about it. Is it any good?

I liked it a lot. If you are into his style I’d say give it a try, but it’s definitely a polarizing love it or hate it (like most of his stuff). I seem to remember a lot of criticism about it being boring, but I didn’t find it to be in the slightest. 

Cristina Rodlo really steals the show. She was by far my favorite part. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I liked it a lot. If you are into his style I’d say give it a try, but it’s definitely a polarizing love it or hate it (like most of his stuff). I seem to remember a lot of criticism about it being boring, but I didn’t find it to be in the slightest. 

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

Fuck no, I barely lasted three episodes. It's Refn indulging in his all his worst tendencies.

Like I said... :lol:

8 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Been plowing through this French( subtitles) drama set during the Nazi occupation.

It runs 5 seasons or so, the way it's going I may watch the whole thing, I'm into S2 so far and am finding it intriguing.

Series is call The French Village and its on Hulu.

It's on amazon too.

10 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Did anyone here see Refn's show Too Old to Die Young with Miles Teller? I'm shocked that I haven't heard much about it. Is it any good?

Refn's style is branded into nearly every scene. 

And, even though the excessive use of long ass back and forth pans had my skip finger itching, I still loved it. 

Was disappointed that it got cancelled, felt like it was veering slightly into the supernatural weird toward the end of the season.

On 9/16/2020 at 6:12 PM, Zorral said:

Rewatched Possession on netflix.  This film was adapted from an A.S. Byatt novel,  one of my favorites of the final decade of the previous century.  So it arrived on the scene before we learned what a 'rl' twit is Gwenyth Paltrow is.  Lena Heady plays the betrayed lesbian lover of Jennifer Ehle (Elizabeth Bennet in that still beloved BBC Jane Austen series with Colin Firth -- same era as Possession).  Jeremy North is the Ehle character's married lover.  That's only four of a large stand-out cast, that is a pleasure to see in action.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession_(2002_film)#:~:text=Possession is a 2002 British,the year it was published.

I started this novel years ago but didn't finish it. And it's such a hyped book too. I must pick it up again, then I can watch the film. 

On 9/16/2020 at 6:12 PM, Zorral said:

Rewatched Possession on netflix.  This film was adapted from an A.S. Byatt novel,  one of my favorites of the final decade of the previous century.  So it arrived on the scene before we learned what a 'rl' twit is Gwenyth Paltrow is.  Lena Heady plays the betrayed lesbian lover of Jennifer Ehle (Elizabeth Bennet in that still beloved BBC Jane Austen series with Colin Firth -- same era as Possession).  Jeremy North is the Ehle character's married lover.  That's only four of a large stand-out cast, that is a pleasure to see in action.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession_(2002_film)#:~:text=Possession is a 2002 British,the year it was published.

Rivals through the ages, she was initially cast as Catelyn in GOT. 

I was just trying to [re] watch the 2013 Great Gatsby on TNT, but my god, the sets are so fucking garish+terrible and garish special effects+stupid 3D, I won't even last long enough to rant about the rest of the bad decisions in this film, what a waste of Leo, who is actually a pretty fucking good Gatsby.  

Watched The Boys S2 only up to episode 4. I'm taking a break since I'm a bit bored of it now.

The superheroes' stories are interesting but the titular Boys aren't doing much that's exciting. I realize that Hughie is kinda the everyman character but it isn't making for a compelling watch. I'll probably wait until the series finale to binge the rest of it.

Homelander is really nailing that "scary quiet" thing with his facial expressions. The cast is almost all phenomenally good.

Been wishing to view Gettysburg on Roku but the only options currently are PPV and I don't do PPV anymore so I settled on a rewatch of Glory. I believe Glory was made back in the 80's, it's still a wonderful film and being a period piece, there's really nothing in it that has aged poorly. I think I can rightly view it as a classic.

Cast is amazing with Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Mathew Broderick, Carey Elwes

My favorite scene is the very emotional troop muster on the Eve before their climatic assault on a fort. It's pretty much a death mission and the troops know they may not make it through the day.

Ah here it is, powerful stuff:

Glory night before the battle-

4 hours ago, Gigei said:

Watched The Boys S2 only up to episode 4. I'm taking a break since I'm a bit bored of it now.

The superheroes' stories are interesting but the titular Boys aren't doing much that's exciting. I realize that Hughie is kinda the everyman character but it isn't making for a compelling watch. I'll probably wait until the series finale to binge the rest of it.

Homelander is really nailing that "scary quiet" thing with his facial expressions. The cast is almost all phenomenally good.

We're at episode 6 now and trust me, the titular Boys themselves just got interesting. Episode 5 they are still somewhat dull, but the supes remain great. Can really recommend 6 though. If the show keeps up this level I will sorely miss it when it ends.

22 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I like his previous stuff, all the way back to the Pusher series, so I would like to give it a shot. Do you remember whether the story leaves off at a good place or is it a frustrating ending?

22 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Fuck no, I barely lasted three episodes. It's Refn indulging in his all his worst tendencies.

I mean, it can't be worse than the Neon Demon right? Right?

20 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Like I said... :lol:

Trapcard activated! 

Archived