Watch, Watched, Watching: We Need This!

Ramsay B.

I guess I just don’t like Guy Ritchie movies. Well except for Man from UNCLE. 

Other than that everything is either a lazy rehash of his first movie , or if he ever attempts to move away from foul mouthed london gangsters using funny nicknames, he fails miserably, caught up in the Hollywood machine.

As I said, Man from UNCLE , and I guess Sherlock, are kind of exceptions.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I started watching Guy Ritchie's the gentlemen. What a fucking disaster, after 15 minutes me and my wife looked at each other and said 'no more'. Charlie Hunnam does the absolute worst accents. Instead we watched the peanut butter falcon, Dakota Johnson is a very lovely woman to look at, and I'm pleased Shia must be on the mend now he is acting again. Film was ok for a monday night background watch. 

Yeah, The Gentlemen was utter fucking garbage.

3 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

You mean Snatch was just a "lazy rehash" of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels?

Yeah pretty much. I never liked it. I know it is really popular for some reason, but I'd seen Lock Stock about 20 times before Snatch came out and when I saw it was bored. It basically felt like those terrible US remakes of UK sitcoms.. bigger budget, more well known actors, but just more of the same (obviously those sitcoms are almost always worse)

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’m with you on this. The Gentleman was horrendous, or at least it started out that way, I had to turn it off after 20 minutes.  Only Guy Ritchie could think that it was a good storytelling method to have Hugh Grant explain everything that was going on for such a large amount of time ( I liked Grant though)

What irritated me most is that I imagine Ritchie sees himself as the titular character from the movie.

I also watched Peanut Butter Falcon and it’s a much nicer movie.

I was really entertained by it :dunno:

Well, I liked Neon Demon. It's just a weird flashy, style over substance thing.

Today I finished watching S2 of 13 Reasons Why. For some reason I stalled when I started watching this and lost interest. But then when I picked it up again months later I was totally sucked in. I see there are EVEN more seasons! I might give those a miss.

Last week we watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things. I've read the book and wanted to see it before anyone spoiled me about any changes. I liked lots of things about it - especially Toni Collette and David Thewlis. Even though it was long it didn't feel long at all. Although I didn't want to be spolied and felt confident that I knew what was going on I was still a bit 'hang on, what is with the musicals and everything???' towards the end. I guess that not knowing what is going on is part of this cinematic experience - and you either enjoy that sensation or you don't.  

Finished Brave New World. I don't think it ended particularly strongly, sadly, as it took some wild, overdramatic turns to try and lead to a 2nd season which I'm not sure will happen. I did really appreciate the production values, particularly the costuming that I think came up with some remarkable "futuristic" clothing (there's a couple of red outfits featured in the final episode that are just gorgeous) while not overdoing it.

Spoiler

The late game with Mustapha Mond and the backstory they introduced seemed too cliche and expected. Interestingly, read an interview with Grant Morrison, who indicated that Peacock/Sky were bringing in people to pitch ideas for a BNW series, as they had the rights... and it seems they won the pitch contest, to a point, but then the showrunner was brought on and he retooled some things. The interesting part of the interview is that Morrison said their take was focused on the utopia, that it was too typical for these sort of dystopic pictures to end with the rising up of the proletariat ... and yet he says this as the end of the season is, basically, just that. Which suggests that's a detail from the showrunner which he wasn't too keen on. I'm guessing he's not to actively involved going forward... if there is a going forward.

Also saw Damien Chazell's First Man for the first time. Some lovely moments and images, especially in the early part with bits that made me think almost of Terrence Malick (particularly a bit following Gosling, as Armstrong, cheerfully playing with his children, stalking through a hallway as they run and giggle, and repeated images of his holding his daughter). Justin Hurwitz's score was on point, too, quite effective. It could have been a bit bolder, as a film, as it feels like it only just scratched the surface of Armstrong and the entire project. Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff did more in that direction, showing the clash of personalities and objectives in a way that breathed life into the whole thing, showing astronauts as both heroic and all too human. Chazelle is almost hagiographic (and to be fair, Neil Armstrong was a pretty staid guy with little of the wild, thrill-seeking edge that you saw in some of his contemporaries).

After it's awards gains I have begun watching Schitt's Creek. If it didn't win an Emmy I almost certainly would have dismissed this as a bland US sitcom, unremarkable and low brow. I hadn't paid attention to who was behind it. 

But I'm through the first season and I've really enjoyed it. Daniel and Eugene Levy have a fantastic grasp of comic timing and pacing, and it really shows. I don't know if the quality will nosedive but it's fun enough that I won't be too bothered.

Also watched 'feminist propaganda for kids', ie Enola Holmes. It was pretty standard teen fare, I thought MBB and Cavill did a decent job.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

After it's awards gains I have begun watching Schitt's Creek. If it didn't win an Emmy I almost certainly would have dismissed this as a bland US sitcom, unremarkable and low brow. I hadn't paid attention to who was behind it. 

But I'm through the first season and I've really enjoyed it. Daniel and Eugene Levy have a fantastic grasp of comic timing and pacing, and it really shows. I don't know if the quality will nosedive but it's fun enough that I won't be too bothered.

I just finished season 5 today. It gets better as the show goes on. Really really good.

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I’ll have to see if it’s on Hulu later. 

I did not find SP on Hulu. HBO Max has the rights to stream all of it, but I did not see it there either earlier today. Maybe that old southparkstudios site is still active.

18 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I did not find SP on Hulu. HBO Max has the rights to stream all of it, but I did not see it there either earlier today. Maybe that old southparkstudios site is still active.

HBO Max now says "new special available tonight"

52 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

HBO Max told me it's available tonight.

Archived