Watch, Watched, Watching: We Need This!

Ramsay B.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse cropped up on Netflix, so watched it again. So, so good. This, I think, is what I really dreamed about seeing when I was a comic book collecting middle school kid, not the MCU films, The animation style (largely derived from pre-production design work by Alberto Mielgo and his team), its blending of comic book elements like narration scrolls and thought bubbles, onomatopoeic text, Ben Day-dots, with cutting edge CG animation was just gorgeous, dynamic, full of verve. And the story and cast is excellent. 

Was in a rewatching mood, so followed up with Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation. I just plain adore this film. The ambience, the performances, the musical choices, the interplay between the two characters who find themselves lonely and alienated on the opposite side of the world from their usual homes and families... Just about perfect. Her best film, IMO, though The Virgin Suicides is very good. Still waiting to see On the Rocks, her latest which also features Murray.

6 hours ago, Ran said:

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse cropped up on Netflix, so watched it again. So, so good. This, I think, is what I really dreamed about seeing when I was a comic book collecting middle school kid, not the MCU films, The animation style (largely derived from pre-production design work by Alberto Mielgo and his team), its blending of comic book elements like narration scrolls and thought bubbles, onomatopoeic text, Ben Day-dots, with cutting edge CG animation was just gorgeous, dynamic, full of verve. And the story and cast is excellent.

Was watching some VFX artists review great animation, and they were all enthralled with Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse. It was interesting to find out that...

Spoiler

in the scene with Peter B and Miles slinging through the forest. To highlight Miles' status as a novice to the spidey skill-set, he was animated at the cartoonish 12fps, whereas Peter B was looking accomplished and fluid since he was animated at the movie's 24fps. Very cool.  

Watched Enola Holmes earlier in the week and it was pleasantly enjoyable. MBB was fine in the lead but I thought both the Holmes men were miscast. Henry Cavill is great in a cape or a suit (especially in The Man from U.N.C.L.E) but I wasn't sold on his character here.

The breaking the fourth wall approach in EH reminded me of Fleabag, which I'd heard of but had never watched. So I watched the first season of Fleabag and it was the funniest thing I'd seen all year. Can't wait to watch the second season. And it turns out the director of EH, Harry Bradbeer, also directed Fleabag (every episode but the first).   

Then I watched Your Name by Makoto Shinkai. The animation is gorgeous and I thought the story held up well too.

Finished up The Boys Season 2, very satisfying. Easily my second favourite DC/Marvel analogue, after Kurt Busiek's Astro City. The market is probably saturated with superhero fare but one can only hope someone brings Astro City to the small screen.

7 hours ago, Ran said:

Was in a rewatching mood, so followed up with Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation. I just plain adore this film. The ambience, the performances, the musical choices, the interplay between the two characters who find themselves lonely and alienated on the opposite side of the world from their usual homes and families... Just about perfect. Her best film, IMO, though The Virgin Suicides is very good. Still waiting to see On the Rocks, her latest which also features Murray.

Glad to see some love for LiT here. I was surprised to learn so many people hated it. I’ve always been a big fan. Re-watched it many times. 

12 hours ago, ithanos said:

The breaking the fourth wall approach in EH reminded me of Fleabag, which I'd heard of but had never watched. So I watched the first season of Fleabag and it was the funniest thing I'd seen all year. Can't wait to watch the second season. And it turns out the director of EH, Harry Bradbeer, also directed Fleabag (every episode but the first). 

Fleabag is amazing, but dont buy into the hype of s2 and enjoy it for what it is. The finale may be the most overhyped episode in TV history. 

Also, whatever you do, do not watch the stage show on amazon, it is toe curling bad, it's hard to believe the same person was involved. 

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

One of my favorite soundtracks of all time. An eminently re-watchable film, agreed.

Coppola's really fantastic with her soundtracks. The Jesus and Mary Chain's "Just Like Honey" over the end was just perfection. And Bill Murray's rendition of "More Than This"... oof. Conveyed so much. I think Rolling Stone and Pitchfork have both placed it on all-time soundtracks at some point, and can't say I disagree. 

I remember when the trailer for Marie Antoinette dropped with New Order's "Age of Consent", which was just another perfect choice.

ETA: Decided to hit up Spotify to listen to the Lost in Translation soundtrack (turns out they don't have it, directly, but fans have made playlists with what seem like most of the music), and stumbled across a podcast called Soundtracking which interviewed Coppola about the soundtracks of her movies, LiT included. There's like 200 episodes of this thing, with some amazing guests. Will have to dig into it at some point.

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Watched ep. 1 of the haunting of bly manor, didn't particularly like the lead actress [both children acted circles around her, according to me], but as I have a very low threshold for haunted mansion ghost stories, I'll keep watching. 

I’m 4 episodes in and I’m enjoying it so far. Not quite as much as Hill House, but still pretty good.

I saw in Chris Stuckmann’s review he said this one isn’t as big on the horror elements as Hill House, and is more of a gothic romance type of show. 

No problems with the lead actress from me (or any of the cast for that matter). Will try to finish it tonight. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Fleabag is amazing, but dont buy into the hype of s2 and enjoy it for what it is. The finale may be the most overhyped episode in TV history. 

Also, whatever you do, do not watch the stage show on amazon, it is toe curling bad, it's hard to believe the same person was involved. 

I dunno about that, it took me a while to get into Fleabag but I really loved the second season. Sexy priest was brilliant throughout. 

Heard the show is awful though.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I’m 4 episodes in and I’m enjoying it so far. Not quite as much as Hill House, but still pretty good.

I saw in Chris Stuckmann’s review he said this one isn’t as big on the horror elements as Hill House, and is more of a gothic romance type of show. 

No problems with the lead actress from me (or any of the cast for that matter). Will try to finish it tonight. 

I read some of the summary of Hill House and didn't' think I'd like it, too different from the original and not into the kitten thing, at all.

I watched ep. 2, Dani still doesn't do much for me, it isn't great, but is interesting enough to keep me watching. 

I watched the Charlie's Angels movie from last year. I thought it was good fun, it didn't have a huge amount of depth to it but I wasn't really expecting anything different. I think it was more successful than the previous film attempt.

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I read some of the summary of Hill House and didn't' think I'd like it, too different from the original and not into the kitten thing, at all.

This. I'm enjoying the show overall, but really can't binge it. And as soon as the kitten thing progressed, I needed to extract our majestic 18 lbs tuxedo from his nest in the dog kennel for a cuddle. 

It seems the is no (legal) way to stream Bob’s Burgers season 7+ in Austria. DVDs are avaliable but I don't want to watch it on low res. Amazon started streaming season 6 earlier this year. 

I wish normal TV would die as local stations owning the rights is the source ok the problem afaik.

Finished The Haunting of Bly Manor. The final scenes of the final episode choked me up a bit. Thoroughly enjoyed the season overall. I kind of hope Mike Flanagan keeps doing these anthology series for Netflix with a lot of the same cast. This is how it’s done right. Ryan Murphy could learn something. 

Finished up my Justified watch last night. I'm absolutely terrible at continuing through full series. I'm glad I did with this one. The last season was a lot of fun. Seemed like just the right length to end it on. I had a lull there in, oh, season 3 or 4, can't recall, that felt pretty weak. 

I won't bother with a long-winded review. It was a lot of fun, with plenty of recognizable actors chewing it up. Most attempts at outright humor failed miserably, but most of the actors had enough charm to overcome their dialogue.

From a bartender's perspective, boy was there a lot of whiskey drank - to be expected, as the show takes place in Kentucky. A couple beers here and there, and I am pretty confident in saying that in the entire six seasons portraying drinking in private or in bars, not a single solitary time did you see a character take a sip from a wine glass.

Archived