Watch, Watched, Watching: We Need This!

Ramsay B.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've already made my choice, but when ordering a pizza alone, midday, while wanting a like minded movie, are you going Home Alone or TMNT? 

Probably Home Alone. Nothing beats a plain cheese pizza accompanying it. Also if my brother (brother-in-law?) ever called my kid a “little jerk” I’d tell him to find his own way to Paris. Totally Buzz’s fault too. 

Catching up on thr Arrowverse. Legends of Tomorrow has really lightened up.

A shapeshifter pretends to be the UK Queen in 1977 to go crowd surfing at a punk concert, Ray has to steal one of the royal corgis, and John Constantine (yes, that Constantine) tries to erase himself from the timeline by kicking his dad in the balls (“back alley vasectomy) only to fail due to the “ball kicking paradox” (he can’t kick his dad in thr balls as it would prevent his conception).

Dodn’t think they could go wierder than animating/enlarging a Bebo toy to cuddle the demon Mallus to death in the previous season. Or Grod thr gorilla trying to kill a young Barack Obama (and Sarah Lance/White Canary telling him to hang on to his birth certificate).

Or parallel universe Snart using a Professor Stein puppet to try and help thr crew deal with Stein’s death at the hands of parallel universe Nazi invasion.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:58 AM, Tywin et al. said:

I've already made my choice, but when ordering a pizza alone, midday, while wanting a like minded movie, are you going Home Alone or TMNT? 

Lol, ordering pizzas on back to back days with the same delivery man, I got my answer explained well. 

It's Home Alone.

So I just discovered (weirdly) that Get Shorty (the TV series) has 1 season available on Netflix. But all 3 Seasons are available on Amazon Prime. Guess I'll finish Seasons 2 and 3 on Prime then. Highly recommend this show to fans of Fargo (tv series) or Coens brother style dramedies.

Completely forgot to mention but also watched The Raid: Redemption for the first time yesterday. Awesome action flick -- non-stop fighting throughout. The choreography and villains were great. There must have been a hundred different stunt actors doing high energy choreographed fighting. I kept wondering how they filmed the stabbing scenes when they were using weapons. Finally understood the comparisons / references to the Karl Urban Judge Dredd movie. Looking forward to The Raid 2.

Watched SicarioDay of the Soldado to kill time. Other than Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin, this film feels like a big step down from the original. There's certain corners of the movie-going community that hated Emily Blunt's character in Sicario, but she was an essential window into the immorality of the war on drugs as depicted by the film, and this movie really lacks anything like it. There's no weight to the commentary in this film. It's adequately directed, I guess, but doesn't have the verve of Denis Villeneuve. The writing is fine from a scene-to-scene examination, but Taylor Sheridan has written way better (including the original). It's a mediocre film, sad to say.

It’s October so I’ve been taking in some of my favorite horror movies. I watched The Exorcist the other day. This never gets old to me. The scene in the beginning with Merrin and the Pazuzu statue while the dogs attack each other is still so chilling. Great opening.

I then watched The Void. Such a fun little low budget sci-fi/horror flick. It’s like a Lovecraft story mixed with Event Horizon in a hospital. Good shit.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Watched SicarioDay of the Soldado to kill time. Other than Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin, this film feels like a big step down from the original. There's certain corners of the movie-going community that hated Emily Blunt's character in Sicario, but she was an essential window into the immorality of the war on drugs as depicted by the film, and this movie really lacks anything like it. There's no weight to the commentary in this film. It's adequately directed, I guess, but doesn't have the verve of Denis Villeneuve. The writing is fine from a scene-to-scene examination, but Taylor Sheridan has written way better (including the original). It's a mediocre film, sad to say.

Yeah, this one was pretty disappointing. Not bad per se, but I had such high hopes for it with Sollima directing. It ended up feeling pretty unnecessary. 

Began watching netflix's French La Révolution late last night.  Don't know enough about it yet to make a judgment call on it, other than I look forward to tonight's viewing, which is a good sign.  Even though this early that doesn't necessarily mean it will continue to hold my interest by the middle.  I quit far more productions moving toward the middle than I ever watch to the end -- even far more productions that I quit watching before the first episode ends!

But so far with La Révolution it seems to be making interesting enough parallels and metaphores for the powerful, madly wealthy 1% aristos, and vampirism, cannibalism to keep me going, even though by now those metaphors have been well-used and familiar, at least since Bram Stoker.  Shoot, in Bram Stoker's era the political cartoonists commonly depicted particularly the absentee English landowners of Ireland as vampires, fangs fastened on the throat of Ireland and her people.

I have been watching Donald Glover's Atlanta the past two weeks. This show is crazy good, I can't understand why it hasn't won more awards. I'm very happy to hear that there will be at least two other seasons after this, because it is quite a unique show.

It effortlessly combines comedy with drama and (what at least to me) seems like pretty valid social commentary. The series manages to simultaneously exude the atmosphere of the place it is set in while also being larger than live. I'm also continuously impressed by the broad shifts in genre that can occur even within one episode. The opening scene of the second season for instance is one of the tensest action scenes I have seen in quite a while. And that in a sitcom!

Between this, Derry Girls and Harley Quinn I think I might have to change my appraisal of the sitcom as a genre. Not everything is as dreadful as Friends or the Big Bang Theory. 

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I watched The Trial of the Chicago 7. It's pretty good but very Aaron Sorkin so if that's an issue for you I probably wouldn't bother. If not it's certainly worth watching.

I am old enough to remember the actual trial. My oldest brother had a copy of Abbie Hoffman's 'Steal This Book'. Aaron Sorkin did not need to much to bring out the dialogue. Both Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin were brilliant at playing to the media and putting out quotes that resonate today. If anything Sorkin toned down the dialogue and the action. One example is the gagging and chaining of Bobby Seale. The movie shows it being done for one day but in reality it was four! days that he was bound and gagged in front of the jury. There was also a huge parade of defense witnesses that were never talked about.

In Steal This Book, Abbie Hoffman has some of the trial transcripts of his testimony about the meaning of the word conspiracy. He asks if conspiracy is the same as thinking or dreaming. When the answer is yes, he responds with 'so am I on trial here for dreaming?' The man could play to an audience like no one else.

On thing that was never mentioned in the movie or the epilogue is that of all the players in this drama, the one who served the most time in prison was the one who set it all in motion. John Mitchell, Attorney General of the United States under Richard Nixon. Emphasizing that fact would be the one thing that shows the absolute corruption at the heart of the system Sorkin was exposing.

Reality was so much funnier, sadder, and unbelievable than the movie itself. 50 years from now when a movie is made of the Trump era I suspect it will not show the complete stupidity of those at the centre because it just won't be believable.

Watched The Boys in the Band on Netflix, originally a stage pay first adapted to film by William Friedken 50 years ago. Never saw the first film version, though.

An interesting window into the lives of openly gay men in NYC in the late 60s. Its origins as a play can be seen in the arch banter which feels a little over abundant at times, but on the whole it's good film with some fine performances (particularly Jim Parsons as the lead character, and the instigator of the key drama that occupies the latter half of the film). Netflix has a making-of documentary that goes into the history of the play and its historical context, which is neat.

I would have expected more people watching Haunting of Bly Manor.  I'm revising my opinion from liked not loved to 'almost loved'..I still thought the lead actress was weak in some scenes, but I hadn't realized that the show tied together almost all of Henry James ghost stories in the retelling of the turn of the screw, and did a wonderful job of that, and of turning the standard haunted house story into a rumination on memory and trauma.  I would def recommend it.

Archived