Watch, Watched, Watching: We Need This!

Ramsay B.

27 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So fucking lame Netflix to cancel AWAY.

This is why I now try to not watch a series on there unless I hear it already is getting a 2nd season. No sense getting into something only to find out it is not renewed after just a season.

Looking for some options and started Oz. I remember watching some of this in the past but it never really gripped me. I watched three episodes and I am getting that same feeling again. I know it gets a lot of love but it's just not grabbing me.

Netflix is the worst at canceling things. They figure people subscribe because of the volume of shows they have, and the number of seasons for each show doesn't matter nearly as much. I kinda miss the old days when they'd try to make at least a hundred episodes so they could sell it the show for syndication. 

I finished Lovecraft Country as there is nothing else to do... Really regret that decision. While I was watching the final episode, I was constantly wondering why I was watching it instead of doing something more useful like work. This is by far the worst series I have finished a season off in years.

I would strongly recommend anyone to steer clear of this series. Don't allow yourself to be fooled by the interesting concept and first episode. It ends up like a steaming pile of shit. Shame on everyone who was involved with this. 

42 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I finished Lovecraft Country as there is nothing else to do... Really regret that decision. While I was watching the final episode, I was constantly wondering why I was watching it instead of doing something more useful like work. This is by far the worst series I have finished a season off in years.

I would strongly recommend anyone to steer clear of this series. Don't allow yourself to be fooled by the interesting concept and first episode. It ends up like a steaming pile of shit. Shame on everyone who was involved with this. 

Seems a bit harsh, but then I have a lot of freeish time to watch things. It definitely wasn't great but parts of it were. I would almost say Meet me in Daegu justified the whole thing. Michael K Williams did some great stuff towards the end. I liked the horror elements but wish there had been more. 

I think the people involved in producing it could learn some lessons about pacing and coherence, but to say shame on them seems a little much. I'll check out the second season. If I only had time to watch X shows a year I might not though. 

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So fucking lame Netflix to cancel AWAY.

They are whining that it's expense didn't justify its audience size.

What's next are they going to transition into another reality TV network?

How about a nice "Keeping up with the Trumps" show next, got you salivitating Netflix, amirite? Thanks for moving towards sucky with all these cancellation trends, your well on your way to becoming another marginal option.

I really hope they didn't keep the lame Space Force instead. 

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

This is why I now try to not watch a series on there unless I hear it already is getting a 2nd season. No sense getting into something only to find out it is not renewed after just a season.

Looking for some options and started Oz. I remember watching some of this in the past but it never really gripped me. I watched three episodes and I am getting that same feeling again. I know it gets a lot of love but it's just not grabbing me.

Oz was one of those shows that gripped me and never let go. Few shows were such an intense experience. But it all comes down to personal taste.

On 10/22/2020 at 12:42 PM, Tywin et al. said:

There's another Tremors movie....

I think I may re-watch the original Tremors movie to finish off horror October. Since that first glorious installment this series has had a peculiar release sequence; 1, 6, 5, 3, 11, 3, 2. Not Prime, not remotely Fibonacci, a mystery all its own.

21 minutes ago, ithanos said:

I think I may re-watch the original Tremors movie to finish off horror October. Since that first glorious installment this series has had a peculiar release sequence; 1, 6, 5, 3, 11, 3, 2. Not Prime, not remotely Fibonacci, a mystery all its own.

What?

15 hours ago, RumHam said:

Seems a bit harsh, but then I have a lot of freeish time to watch things. It definitely wasn't great but parts of it were. I would almost say Meet me in Daegu justified the whole thing. Michael K Williams did some great stuff towards the end. I liked the horror elements but wish there had been more. 

I think the people involved in producing it could learn some lessons about pacing and coherence, but to say shame on them seems a little much. I'll check out the second season. If I only had time to watch X shows a year I might not though. 

Hell, even if I had more time to watch stuff, I'd call this a train wreck of epic proportions. Let's get existential for a bit, but you only have a limited number of hours in your life. Wasting 10 hours of that limited time on a series like this with below average acting (apart from chalky in the end), terrible CGi and just a mess off a plot is not a good investment.

But I get it, different strokes for different people. I guess I'm just hella mad because they managed to sucker me into finishing the series. I have seen worse tv over the years, but usually I pull the plug way sooner than ten fucking episodes. The sunk cost fallacy is the bane of our species ladies and gentlemen. 

On 10/22/2020 at 12:04 AM, l2 0 5 5 said:

I've seen a good bit of OITB. I think I need caught up on the last two seasons, but can understand how it's considered a comedy. Maybe a dark comedy? Still more comedy than drama imo. 

It's certainly not more comedy than drama. Lots of shows have a comedic element and funny dialogue but aren't considered comedies. Comedies - even dark comedies - don't have heartbreaking character backstories or tragic outcomes / tragic deaths for sympathetic major characters. 

ETA: I just found this.  Apparently, Emmys finally wised up during season 3 that OITNB was not a comedy and Netflix'd strategy didn't make sense..

Began watching The Barbarians.  The Romans have stirrups, not well concealed by saddle trappings / blankets -- not sure if they are to be obscured or not, but they are visible often when riding in the dark against light ahead, etc.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Began watching The Barbarians.  The Romans have stirrups, not well concealed by saddle trappings / blankets -- not sure if they are to be obscured or not, but they are visible often when riding in the dark against light ahead, etc.

Dammit, I was looking for that, but couldn't spot them. It's been awhile since I've seen a show/movie fail at that.

Finished La Révolution. Nothing special here, a familiar fantasy/horror story in a different setting. The best thing about was the combination of modern music with classical. I'm not sure such a story is timed well, though, considering a certain dimwitted, but dangerous conspiracy gaining ground in America, and maybe elsewhere.

I've watched two episodes of Barbarians. I'm liking the story, but some of the execution is not so good. There was some bad editing in episode 2 

Spoiler

German Ragnar runs with a sword, looks like he's about to throw it like a spear, then he suddenly has a spear which he throws, and the edit of the throw was crap.

Does anyone know how old are the religious beliefs we normally associate with the Norse and pagan Saxons? Because these guys also believe in Woden, but this is a time long before the Germanic migrations and the Norse.

On 10/22/2020 at 9:06 PM, dbunting said:

This is a bit self-defeating isn't it.

On 10/18/2020 at 12:15 PM, Veltigar said:

I have been watching Donald Glover's Atlanta the past two weeks. This show is crazy good, I can't understand why it hasn't won more awards. I'm very happy to hear that there will be at least two other seasons after this, because it is quite a unique show.

It effortlessly combines comedy with drama and (what at least to me) seems like pretty valid social commentary. The series manages to simultaneously exude the atmosphere of the place it is set in while also being larger than live. I'm also continuously impressed by the broad shifts in genre that can occur even within one episode. The opening scene of the second season for instance is one of the tensest action scenes I have seen in quite a while. And that in a sitcom!

Between this, Derry Girls and Harley Quinn I think I might have to change my appraisal of the sitcom as a genre. Not everything is as dreadful as Friends or the Big Bang Theory. 

Sitcoms generally work far better without a laugh track telling you “this is supposed to be funny!” at the most mundane thing. For me anyway

10 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Finished La Révolution. Nothing special here, a familiar fantasy/horror story in a different setting. The best thing about was the combination of modern music with classical. I'm not sure such a story is timed well, though, considering a certain dimwitted, but dangerous conspiracy gaining ground in America, and maybe elsewhere.

I've watched two episodes of Barbarians. I'm liking the story, but some of the execution is not so good. There was some bad editing in episode 2 

Reveal hidden contents

German Ragnar runs with a sword, looks like he's about to throw it like a spear, then he suddenly has a spear which he throws, and the edit of the throw was crap.

Does anyone know how old are the religious beliefs we normally associate with the Norse and pagan Saxons? Because these guys also believe in Woden, but this is a time long before the Germanic migrations and the Norse.

I doubt that anyone can say that for certain, same as any traditional folk mythology, but obviously very old. I'm not sure why you think the time of the migrations has anything to do with that. The mythology is much older than the migrations and goes back to the time Woden and Odin were the same god etc.

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

I doubt that anyone can say that for certain, same as any traditional folk mythology, but obviously very old. I'm not sure why you think the time of the migrations has anything to do with that. The mythology is much older than the migrations and goes back to the time Woden and Odin were the same god etc.

That's what I'm asking, how old is the religion/beliefs? The reason why I mentioned the migrations is that they are more known to us in popular culture. 

On 10/22/2020 at 1:38 PM, Veltigar said:

Even though it's disjointed, there are episodes therein that are genius. Personally, I really enjoyed it overall, found it thought provoking, and really fell in love with a few of the characters. 

It's not for everyone, obviously, but Veltigar doesn't even like Big Trouble in Little China so his taste is as ass as his opinion. :)

Archived