Watch, Watched, Watching: We Need This!

Ramsay B.

Recently watched A bridge too far. Mostly watched, still have about half an hour to go. Older WW2 movie with a lot of stars in it. A lot of it seems comical now when compared with modern war movies. 

Also watched Moneyball again, saw it a long time ago. Still enjoyed it, still find it amazing how a team with less than 40 mill in payroll can compete with teams spending 140 mill.

Watched a movie called Sweet Virginia. Decent low budget crime/drama movie, nothing I'll watch again but not bad.

Watched the new Borat movie. It was ok at best. Not my thing. Only watched it due to the Rudy scene hype. It does have some scary/interesting scenes that made me shake my head in disbelief thinking this can't be real. Then I go on facebook and see the ridiculous shit some of my family posts and they actually believe in and it's like yep, that scene was accurate.  

On 10/24/2020 at 7:12 PM, JEORDHl said:

Even though it's disjointed, there are episodes therein that are genius. Personally, I really enjoyed it overall, found it thought provoking, and really fell in love with a few of the characters. 

It's not for everyone, obviously, but Veltigar doesn't even like Big Trouble in Little China so his taste is as ass as his opinion. :)

I have a great ass, so I'll take this as a compliment to my good opinion (even though it's a little inappropriate Jeordhi you scamp :P)

On 10/24/2020 at 1:46 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Sitcoms generally work far better without a laugh track telling you “this is supposed to be funny!” at the most mundane thing. For me anyway

Ha, that might be the clue.

Ticked off another couple of spooky films this weekend. The always delightful Beetlejuice and the absolutely bloody awful Cabin in the Woods. The latter, I hated the first time I saw it but actually sat through it again for my husband's benefit because he bought the blu-ray but hadn't got round to watching it yet (I watched on Netflix the first time). It's one of those films where you know you definitely watched it* and disliked it but you can't really remember much about it. I started thinking, 'maybe I didn't watch it properly? perhaps I wasn't giving it my full attention and that's why I don't remember it?'. BUT NO. I'd forgotten it because it was so bad. And I don't mean so bad it's good, I mean just plain bad.

*unlike the third Matrix film which I swore blind I had NOT seen, yet after sitting down to watch it with family realised after about 40 minutes, with huge disappointment, that I had seen it and just blanked it out.

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Ticked off another couple of spooky films this weekend. The always delightful Beetlejuice and the absolutely bloody awful Cabin in the Woods. The latter, I hated the first time I saw it but actually sat through it again for my husband's benefit because he bought the blu-ray but hadn't got round to watching it yet (I watched on Netflix the first time). It's one of those films where you know you definitely watched it* and disliked it but you can't really remember much about it. I started thinking, 'maybe I didn't watch it properly? perhaps I wasn't giving it my full attention and that's why I don't remember it?'. BUT NO. I'd forgotten it because it was so bad. And I don't mean so bad it's good, I mean just plain bad.

*unlike the third Matrix film which I swore blind I had NOT seen, yet after sitting down to watch it with family realised after about 40 minutes, with huge disappointment, that I had seen it and just blanked it out.

Cabin in the Woods is amazing. It's been years since I saw it, but I remember pretty  much everything.

25 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Cabin in the Woods is amazing. It's been years since I saw it, but I remember pretty  much everything.

No. It wishes it was amazing. But it wasn't. It's also not funny. Even though it thinks it's funny.

A friend of mine was into westerns and put on Unforgiven. Upon finishing the movie, I learned that he had never seen any of the Back to the Future movies, so naturally we watched all 3. I goddamn love Back to the Future. It still holds up in entertainment and writing -- from the Clint Eastwood jokes to the various Biffs landing in manure. I've seen these movies dozens of times and I never get tired of them. I told my friend this was probably the greatest trilogy ever made. I'm not even sure what the competition is.. the OT Star Wars? The Lord of the Rings? I'm pressed to think of anything else at the moment. 

11 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

A friend of mine was into westerns and put on Unforgiven. Upon finishing the movie, I learned that he had never seen any of the Back to the Future movies, so naturally we watched all 3. I goddamn love Back to the Future. It still holds up in entertainment and writing -- from the Clint Eastwood jokes to the various Biffs landing in manure. I've seen these movies dozens of times and I never get tired of them. I told my friend this was probably the greatest trilogy ever made. I'm not even sure what the competition is.. the OT Star Wars? The Lord of the Rings? I'm pressed to think of anything else at the moment. 

BTTF 1 and 3 were great, 2 was meh. Most trilogies have a poor film (godfather), LOTR is the only one I can think of where all 3 were awesome (IMDb agrees). 

The Nolan batman trilogy? 

31 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

BTTF 1 and 3 were great, 2 was meh. Most trilogies have a poor film (godfather), LOTR is the only one I can think of where all 3 were awesome (IMDb agrees). 

TDKR isn't good. I'll stop on it every time, but I have no illusions that it's a good film.

Read that in Bane voice, please.

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I don’t care what anyone says about Temple of Doom, the original Indiana Jones trilogy is also up there for me. Throw in the first Jurassic Park, and those are pretty much all my favorite childhood movies.

I actually just got the Back to the Future 4k set that came out last week, but I’ve been on a horror kick for Halloween lately, and haven’t had a chance to see how they look. 

I watched Rebecca by Netflix. It was quite  poor. Lily James and Kristin Scott Thomas did the best they could with what they were given, Armie Hammer was mediocre. The story was falling apart, the characters were cardboard cutouts for whichever genre the film wanted to be at a given time. In fact it felt as though I watched three loosely connected and rushed movies in the same universe, rather than one film.Decision and action as well as cause and effect were slaves to the writer/director/producer’s whims. The atmosphere was all over the place and the pacing was haphazard, though both had the general sense of tension and discomfort, reminiscent of Hitchcock films. There were other not so subtle nods to Hitchcock which all came off as juvenile and cringe-worthy. I haven’t seen the original Rebecca so I cannot weigh this one as a remake. As a stand-alone film, it was poorly constructed, annoyingly executed and often boring. (That said, I have seen only very few Hitchcock films and liked none of them, so it could as well be a faithful adaptation and hitchcockian filmmaking is just not my cup of tea) 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I don’t care what anyone says about Temple of Doom, the original Indiana Jones trilogy is also up there for me. Throw in the first Jurassic Park, and those are pretty much all my favorite childhood movies.

I actually just got the Back to the Future 4k set that came out last week, but I’ve been on a horror kick for Halloween lately, and haven’t had a chance to see how they look. 

So I was going to comment on the Indiana Jones movies as they came first to mind but ultimately, I'm not sure I consider them a trilogy. Fantastic movies with the same protagonist but not a single story which is where I'd lean toward the definition.

On 10/24/2020 at 7:46 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Sitcoms generally work far better without a laugh track telling you “this is supposed to be funny!” at the most mundane thing. For me anyway

This is one of the main reasons why I can't stand Seinfeld.

I started watching Ghosts.  It's one of the few comedies that I actually enjoy.  Also, a new season of Taskmaster started two weeks ago.

15 hours ago, Isis said:

Spot on, Beetlejuice, great fun movie. Cabin in the woods, one of the crappiest horror type cross over whatever the shit that was movies.

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The first LOTR movie was 13 hours of filler, IMO. I don't know if there is a perfect trilogy, the closest for me is original Star Wars. Get rid of the Ewoks anyway...

The Nolan Batman, honestly only love TDK. The other two, meh...

I loved the experience of watching The Cabin In The Woods the first time. It's not funny enough to be a comedy and doesn't take itself seriously enough to be scary. That whole twist that's not a twist though, I love it. I'm fond of the movie.  Of the things that have wasted Sigourney Weaver in the last ten years it's probably my favorite. 

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

I loved the experience of watching The Cabin In The Woods the first time. It's not funny enough to be a comedy and doesn't take itself seriously enough to be scary. That whole twist that's not a twist though, I love it. I'm fond of the movie.  Of the things that have wasted Sigourney Weaver in the last ten years it's probably my favorite. 

The amazing thing is I have no recollection of her being in that shit movie! I think my brain has tried to erase it from the memory banks

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Cabin in the woods is not shit. I didn't love it, and I don't think it really hit the mark or was as clever a take on horror movies as it attempts to be, but no way is it shit. In a genre of actual flat out awful movies, Cabin in the Woods is nowhere near the shit end.

I just read the plot and, I mean, it does sound pretty awful.

Archived