Watch, Watched, Watching: We Need This!

Ramsay B.

4 hours ago, briantw said:

I just finished re-watching this one last week. 

Ha!  I started rewatching recently, currently midway through the 3rd season.  It's definitely in my top 10 all time, maybe top 5.  Personally I think seasons 3 and especially 5 are pretty weak.  I really liked season 4 - get drew was a hell of a lotta fun - and I really enjoy the final season as well.  I definitely wouldn't say it's just the satisfying ending scene...

Spoiler

The whole buildup to the Raylan/Boyd showdown is very well done throughout the whole season.  And I really like Loretta getting a main role as she's a great character.

Plus, the last 4 episodes of season 1 and the entire second season might be my favorite stretch of 17 episodes ever.  I also agree the show can be incredibly hilarious.  One example that stands out...

Spoiler

...the back-and-forth between Raylan and Tim in the season 2 episode Full Commitment when Tim has to be his bodyguard.  "I love this shit, this shit makes me hard."  "Well now we've both been warned."  Awesome.

4 hours ago, briantw said:

had probably the best last line in TV history.

While I definitely agree, technically...

Spoiler

The last line is Raylan saying, "That's right." :P

Also agree about Goggins - Boyd Crowder is very high up there on my list of favorite TV characters ever.

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Johnny Utah is really the worst cop ever.

I don't know...as we've been talking about Justified, Raylan Givens is a pretty terrible cop.  He shoots like forty people over the course of Justified, often after pressuring them into drawing on him.  He bangs a state witness in a case he's involved in, physically assaults various criminals unprovoked (sometimes while they are in custody), helps his ex-wife sneak money she stole back into evidence, and on and on it goes.  Sure, he's really fucking cool, but he's also the type of cop people have spent the past six months protesting about.  :lol:

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

I don't know...as we've been talking about Justified, Raylan Givens is a pretty terrible cop.  He shoots like forty people over the course of Justified, often after pressuring them into drawing on him.  He bangs a state witness in a case he's involved in, physically assaults various criminals unprovoked (sometimes while they are in custody), helps his ex-wife sneak money she stole back into evidence, and on and on it goes.  Sure, he's really fucking cool, but he's also the type of cop people have spent the past six months protesting about.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Tywin, this is your fucking way up call, man!! He is an F-B-I agent!

I hate you more at this exact moment in time, Ramsay. 

I watched My Octopus Teacher which was very good. In a fascinating world where adaptation means survival, no animal has the arsenal of tricks and the ingenuity to deploy them quite like the octopus. What a privilege to discover and then share in the titular teacher's world. A very moving journey for maker, subject, and audience.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Sure, he's really fucking cool, but he's also the type of cop people have spent the past six months protesting about.  :lol:

Yeah but he almost exclusively killed white people.  Of this list detailing his 29 victims, I only count two Hispanics, one African American, and whatever Choo-Choo was.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah but he almost exclusively killed white people.  Of this list detailing his 29 victims, I only count two Hispanics, one African American, and whatever Choo-Choo was.

Well, he spends most of the show in rural Kentucky, so his options are somewhat limited. 

24 minutes ago, briantw said:

Well, he spends most of the show in rural Kentucky, so his options are somewhat limited. 

Yeah but he left Noble's Holler alone!  (Eventually.)  The real impressive thing is how many members of the Miami drug cartel he took out being based in Harlan, Kentucky.

Just caught the last 2/3rds of the Ginsburg biopic - On the Basis of Sex.  If was solid if decidedly forgettable.  The most amusing thing I could not get over was Felicity Jones trying to do a Brooklyn Jewish accent.  She tried her damnedest, bless her heart.

Continuing through Schitt’s Creek and the quality thankfully doesn’t drop. Halfway through season 4 and I’m still looking forward to every episode.

One thing I will say is that the 4 members of the rose family are comedic geniuses, Moira blows me away every episode by how line and scene is perfected, so not a moment is wasted or unfunny, and how jokes are piled into each other.

On the other hand, it makes me realise that many of the other cast really cannot reach those heights and it becomes really noticeable. 

So many side characters are ‘ok’ but don’t do comedy acting to the same level. Stevie I liked at first but her grimacing is getting old. Twyla who I believe is the sister of David Levy doesn’t appear to have a reason to exist.

Also I don’t get why they chose the guy to play Patrick? He has this awkward have smile on permanently and doesn’t really look like he’s comfortable being on screen. I heard he and David Levy are friends which can be the only answer here. Which is a shame because i think it’s causing David to have to over act to make up for the deadness in Patrick’s eyes. It can get a bit hammy at times.

Still, minor complaints aside, really enjoying it

I'm halfway through Schitts Creek S2. It is getting better, I found S1 fine but it's definitely improving as the characters develop. 

I disagree with @Heartofice, I find Moira the weakest (though not weak) of the main characters. Just watched the episode where Mutt shaved his beard and i am with Alexis, he looked fucking weird. 

30 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm halfway through Schitts Creek S2. It is getting better, I found S1 fine but it's definitely improving as the characters develop. 

I disagree with @Heartofice, I find Moira the weakest (though not weak) of the main characters. Just watched the episode where Mutt shaved his beard and i am with Alexis, he looked fucking weird. 

Well I agree with you there, he did look fucking weird.

But , really I think Moira is class, I think her character is actually really well observed and cleverly constructed in her performance, if you click with what she is going for. I've started really watching her scenes and she does some pretty clever stuff with how she performs her lines, and her timing. 

My point is really that the rest of the cast outside of the Roses are pretty weak, and some are noticeably not good. 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Continuing through Schitt’s Creek and the quality thankfully doesn’t drop. Halfway through season 4 and I’m still looking forward to every episode.

One thing I will say is that the 4 members of the rose family are comedic geniuses, Moira blows me away every episode by how line and scene is perfected, so not a moment is wasted or unfunny, and how jokes are piled into each other.

On the other hand, it makes me realise that many of the other cast really cannot reach those heights and it becomes really noticeable. 

So many side characters are ‘ok’ but don’t do comedy acting to the same level. Stevie I liked at first but her grimacing is getting old. Twyla who I believe is the sister of David Levy doesn’t appear to have a reason to exist.

Also I don’t get why they chose the guy to play Patrick? He has this awkward have smile on permanently and doesn’t really look like he’s comfortable being on screen. I heard he and David Levy are friends which can be the only answer here. Which is a shame because i think it’s causing David to have to over act to make up for the deadness in Patrick’s eyes. It can get a bit hammy at times.

Still, minor complaints aside, really enjoying it

I think Patrick is great. He's a sweet, genuine dude who puts up with a lot of David's shit. He does some really good stuff in season 5.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think he's great as Patrick and has great chemistry with Daniel Levy.

Yeah guess so, I feel like the chemistry is really coming out of the hard work of Daniel Levy who does a very good job, but I feel has to work harder to make his scenes with Patrick watchable. 

While I think there is some sweet stuff in there between them, it just feels like Patrick is not a strong comedic presence, he has some witty lines but almost no charisma, as if someone else is clearly writing his lines.

Archived