Would a Blackfyre dynasty have been so bad?

James Steller

44 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Really? Brightroar is sillier, far as I'm concerned.

But there is no House Brightroar, only a House Blackfyre. Only they named themselves after a sword.

I never said he'd be a good maester, but he's too proud to be a fool and too incompetent to be a military figure. 

Well, perhaps he would have been a great guy if he had been raised by his father? But Daemon was too old a son to be considered for the Citadel or the Faith - that would be something for Aenys and his two nameless younger brothers.

By that logic, Daemon II might predecease his father too, and maybe Haegon or Aenys takes the throne instead. And to be honest, I don't see Daemon I, no matter how successful, surviving to the age of seventy. In fact, the only Targaryen king I can think of who made it that far was Jaehaerys. Nobody else lived that long, not even the good kings like Daeron II or Aegon V. 

The kings you mentioned died of accidents and pandemics. Daemon was a healthy, strong guy, he could have grown old.

Daemon II was five years younger than the twins and could thus outlive them, especially if he was less martial than they.

Until GRRM writes about the huge Blackfyre civil war that tore Essos apart, I'll say that Blackfyre family squabbles are less damaging than Targaryen squabbles. But I do agree that yes, the Blackfyres are Targaryens with a different banner, but for simplicity, I'm talking about the different factions as distinct families. 

That is completely moot point in light of the fact that the Blackfyres are nobodies in exile. But even when they had nothing they didn't really work together. Not in 211 AC and not in 233 AC and not when Maelys took over - and perhaps also not during other crucial events.

And that's hardly surprising if you consider the size of the family ... the Blackfyres are just Targaryens, and they quarreled with each other, too, when too many were around. We see that again with the Baratheons in the main series.

8 hours ago, James Steller said:

It’s certainly possible to discuss that if you wish, but I take umbrage when people try to decide what others can or should discuss on a site

I did not say you can't did I? Just wondering why so many want to change the story.

8 hours ago, HerblYY said:

Well, what-ifs are the closest things to fanfic

This. And fanfic is against the forum rules actually. Not to mention GRRM does not like it. 

Ran     Posted April 22, 2007

The FAQ has been expanded somewhat on the topic of fan fiction, reiterating GRRM's dislike and expanding the board's policy against it. Not only is fan-fiction forbidden, but linking to fan fiction sites or to sites that are fan fiction indexes is similarly restricted.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 12:55 PM, James Steller said:

It would have had to be pretty bad for that to happen. The War or the Five Kings is doing more damage than the Dance of the godsdamn Dragons!

Don’t know about that one!! WO5K many villages&fiefds burn but not with pyrotechnics of a full out dragon assault Dance of the Dragon's was complete horror

Archived