US Politics- Roger Stoned to Death

Fury Resurrected

27 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm basing it on the elections that we've had already. Wisconsin had a supreme court election in April that went fine (and there was a lot of concern going in about chaos). Michigan's non-presidential primary in August was smooth, except for Detroit being slowed until the early AM (which I mentioned). And so forth.

The only shitshow was New York. And I already acknowledged that PA and AZ have said they won't know.

The Wisconsin primary didn't release any results until a week after the election, to allow time for absentee ballots to come in.  Which is exactly what I'm worried about. 

Michigan is more encouraging.  Nonetheless, this article indicates there were a few areas in Flint that still weren't counted as of Wednesday at noon.  Given that turnout will be much higher in the Presidential election, it seems like a real possibility we won't know all we need to know in Michigan on election night.  But if Biden wins by 3 or more points (which is where all the polls are at the moment) then we could know that one by midnight.  That would definitely help. 

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

There are reports of mass hysterectomies and forced sterilizations at an ICE detention center.

I cannot even imagine what other horrors are happening right now.  Abolish ICE, folks.

As far as I can tell, the main story is really about the way Covid-19 is handled in ICE facilities - which is, not at all:

https://theintercept.com/2020/09/14/ice-detention-center-nurse-whistleblower/?fbclid=IwAR1VP3XzsMgvQWoZtfzNRehafABKCu3Y5d18o7nDZefxNZ-ECHYuJ2vabms

33 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

on the other hand, that was run by a party and not the government.

And it was not a primary at all, it was a caucus, which is a different animal altogether.

Iowa held an actual primary for other offices on June 2 and I don't recall them having any major problems. And that was the primary where Steve King lost his House seat.

https://apps.npr.org/elections20-primaries/states/IA.html

South Dakota’s attorney general reported hitting a deer with his car. But it was a man.

Ravnsborg reported to the local county sheriff that he'd hit a deer Saturday after getting into a collision at around 10:30 p.m., the South Dakota Department of Public Safety said.

But by the next morning, a pedestrian's body was discovered near the site of the crash on a stretch of rural road. He was later identified as 55-year-old Joseph Boever of Highmore, South Dakota. Ravnsborg was not injured in the crash, the Department of Public Safety said.

52 minutes ago, DMC said:

Nice that they reassured us that the AG wasn't hurt. I'm guessing he was drunk. Someone should be heading off to the slammer.  

Yeah considering the authorities apparently knew the site of the crash, he either was drunk enough not to know they obviously were going to find the body, or drunk enough to actually think a man was a deer.  The article quotes someone that was at the fundraiser that he only saw him with a coke, but ya know, you can put whiskey or rum in coke.

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah considering the authorities apparently knew the site of the crash, he either was drunk enough not to know they obviously were going to find the body, or drunk enough to actually think a man was a deer.  The article quotes someone that was at the fundraiser that he only saw him with a coke, but ya know, you can put whiskey or rum in coke.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan, innovator: 

Wisconsin Supreme Court keeps Green Party off presidential ballot and allows ballots to be mailed on time

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/politics/wisconsin-supreme-court-absentee-ballots-green-party/index.html

(CNN)The Wisconsin Supreme Court decided on Monday to keep the Green Party candidate off the presidential ballot, ending a legal dispute that briefly threw the state's mail-in voting plans into chaos, and clearing the way for clerks to mail out ballots this week as planned.

"We would be unable to provide meaningful relief without completely upsetting the election," the Supreme Court wrote in its 4-3 decision.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah I don't see this as realistic, or at being realistic they'd be successful.  For it to be successful, they almost certainly would have to kill LEOs.  That'd look really bad even among many Trump supporters.

Unless they are LEOs of course. Disguised but their friends know to offer inadequate resistance. Yeah I think this scenario is going a bit far as well, don't think it's at all likely just pretty down on LEOs at the moment.

Years ago the premier of Quebec ran over a homeless person late at night. The guy was drunk or stoned or had a medical problem and was lying in the road, the premier thought he ran over garbage in the street. He was never charged with the death, but he was fined for driving without his glasses on. That couldn't have helped. A witness said he must have seen the man because the premier apparently tried to swerve to miss him, but I've tried at the last moment to swerve to miss garbage in the street or a pothole and failed to do so.

Not exactly a deer, of course.

22 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Years ago the premier of Quebec ran over a homeless person late at night. The guy was drunk or stoned or had a medical problem and was lying in the road, the premier thought he ran over garbage in the street. He was never charged with the death, but he was fined for driving without his glasses on. That couldn't have helped. A witness said he must have seen the man because the premier apparently tried to swerve to miss him, but I've tried at the last moment to swerve to miss garbage in the street or a pothole and failed to do so.

Not exactly a deer, of course.

Yeah, not a very likely story to mistake a human for a deer. I actually hit a deer last year. The thump wasn't as large as you'd expect. I was surprised, but it totaled my car. I wasn't going very fast like 35, but the deer was just suddenly there right in front of me, I saw it pretty clearly in that half a second before the hit.

And of course you can get out of your car and look. If he really didn't know then he is kind of affirming he was drunk or high, or somehow mentally compromised.

6 hours ago, SaltyGnosis said:

Joe Rogan is a transphobic man-child, but he's still more fit to host a presidential debate than any major news outlet I can think of. Shit, he's more fit to run the country than Biden or Trump IMO, if only for the fact that he's never raped anybody.

The dumbing down of America, on display. 

538 just came out with an article about how PA was the most important state in the election (if either Trump or Biden carries it they have 84/96% chance of winning per their model). Maybe this is why Biden's campaign is not focusing on Hispanics as much.

I'd like for Biden to have a bigger lead there. Its supposed to be his home state, but that has less meaning these days than it used to. Oh, and the reason the model is this way is because it projects into the future and assumes states like NC (and maybe FL) will revert to Trump as the election approaches, I believe.

Biden proposes $5 trillion in new spending, undaunted by Trump's massive deficits

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/politics/biden-tax-spending-plans-trump-deficits/index.html

Biden calls for spending $1.9 trillion on education over the decade, including universal pre-K, increased funding for schools with many low-income students and two years of tuition-free community college. He would shell out $1.6 trillion for infrastructure and research and development, including on water, high-speed rail and municipal transit and on clean energy and artificial intelligence.
Biden also would broaden access to Medicare and Affordable Care Act coverage and expand long-term elder care, which would cost $352 billion.
"They have a lot of spending, but they are spending it on things that will actually help people in the long run -- education, health care, infrastructure," said Richard Prisinzano, the model's director of policy analysis. "The types of spending they did make workers more productive and lead to growth in the economy in the out years."
Biden's tax plan calls for covering some of the spending by repealing elements of the 2017 Republican tax law that benefited high-income filers and increasing other levies on the wealthy. He would also raise the tax rates on corporations and foreign profits.

Archived