Controversy over transphobia in J.K Rowling's new book

Ser Drewy

7 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Biphobia and Transphobia dovetail quite well in their philosophy, and unfortunately both are the easier targets for intra community exclusion. There has sure as hell been a lot of success in the online space of trying to rile up fighting between Lesbians and Bisexual women that's resulting in a ton of shit I hate from both sides. Of LGB people, bisexuals often have the worst mental health outcomes due to having a harder time fitting into both straight and queer communities due to exclusion and discrimination from both, and bisexual women have a crazy high level of abuse against them in relationships.

That's pretty much why I stopped engaging with the queer community. You've identified all of my major grievances and summarised them all *beautifully* in a single paragraph. 

Just now, IlyaP said:

That's pretty much why I stopped engaging with the queer community. You've identified all of my major grievances and summarised them all *beautifully* in a single paragraph. 

There's still plenty to be gained as well, its all just very human. Good and bad. Not like I'm super social or anything though, I just soak the good up from the sidelines.

10 minutes ago, karaddin said:

There's still plenty to be gained as well, its all just very human. Good and bad. Not like I'm super social or anything though, I just soak the good up from the sidelines.

No disputing the good things. There is, however, only so much "bisexuals are deluded/not real/lying to themselves" etc., that can be tolerated (esp. given there's no evidence to support such claims). One is tempted to remind those who say such things of what the DSM said about homosexuality pre-1973. 

38 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

No disputing the good things. There is, however, only so much "bisexuals are deluded/not real/lying to themselves" etc., that can be tolerated (esp. given there's no evidence to support such claims). One is tempted to remind those who say such things of what the DSM said about homosexuality pre-1973. 

Yeah, don't have much time for that type either, certainly understand nopeing out of anywhere you hear that 

On 9/20/2020 at 3:41 AM, karaddin said:

I think that's fair. 

There's ugliness in any community that could and should be addressed.

But having a sense of unity is necessary, I think to really combat a lot of the issues that effect all of the Lgbt community.

To make clear homophobia is a bigger and prevalent evil than someone being called such on twitter.

10 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

No such thing as bad publicity!

At least now people will read the book and decide if it’s transphobic. Maybe they can come on here and give their opinions.

16 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

No such thing as bad publicity!

At least now people will read the book and decide if it’s transphobic. Maybe they can come on here and give their opinions.

Reading it now. Definitely not as innocent as the Spectator article suggests, but it’s not (so far) a scare piece on transgender people lurking in toilets to murder people. 
I’ll update when finished.

14 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Reading it now. Definitely not as innocent as the Spectator article suggests, but it’s not (so far) a scare piece on transgender people lurking in toilets to murder people. 

Like most things in life, neither as clear cut as those with extreme views in either direction want them to be.

Is it any good? Enjoyed the others, cant beleive the length of it though. It's like a fantasy epic in page count. 

Also, keep in mind that Bookscan doesn't track ebook and audiobook sales. Which probably puts her numbers at close to 100,000 copies sold in a couple of days.

But even with 65,000 copies sold, it would still put her on top of the NYT bestseller list, way ahead of number two, in a market that is much larger than the UK's.

A far cry from the Harry Potter numbers, true. But outselling almost everything else on the market these days.

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I’m partway through it also. Agree with this sentiment so far. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

There are no words

This is just painful to watch tbh

I can't wrap my head around the fact that one of my favourite childhood author is just being horrible to a vulnerable group of people.

It is one thing if her books have problematic elements in them (the house elves, the goblins in Gringotts, etc), but this is just on another level of bad.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

There are no words

To be fair to her, I looked at their Etsy shop and didn’t see anything about Trans on there. It’s quite possible she wasn’t aware of those badges.

However there were other badges like ‘dead men don’t rape’ and ‘kill your rapist’ which definitely seems like something Rowling would be on board with, and represent the type of feminism going on in that shop.

2 hours ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

This is just painful to watch tbh

I can't wrap my head around the fact that one of my favourite childhood author is just being horrible to a vulnerable group of people.

It is one thing if her books have problematic elements in them (the house elves, the goblins in Gringotts, etc), but this is just on another level of bad.

When did shoe on head start having a problem with terfs?

I'm not sure why I'd need to read the book to confirm that the premise leans on transphobic tropes (which match her quite clearly stated political views) which are harmful even when that harm is not intended. The harmfulness of a premise doesn't rely on execution, poor or otherwise. I've already said that this seems to have been the case I'm SotL due to follow up comments and work. Given all this rl shit I do not extend that benefit of the doing to JK, but I still don't need to read the work to confirm that because it's the premise.

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

When did shoe on head start having a problem with terfs?

I'm only peripherally aware of her other than having known her boxxy videos when she did them, but I have vague recollections of Vaush defending his value to the left by claiming to have converted her from the alt right or some shit. That's also basically the only thing I know about him, other than that he was clearly acting dickish enough to need to defend himself. These people aren't in my corner of the net lol.

9 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I applaud you for your effort, Derfel. Thank you for taking one for the team! <3 

Archived