Controversy over transphobia in J.K Rowling's new book

Ser Drewy

22 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Also, keep in mind that Bookscan doesn't track ebook and audiobook sales. Which probably puts her numbers at close to 100,000 copies sold in a couple of days.

But even with 65,000 copies sold, it would still put her on top of the NYT bestseller list, way ahead of number two, in a market that is much larger than the UK's.

A far cry from the Harry Potter numbers, true. But outselling almost everything else on the market these days.

See now I'm confused as I was assured, by people on this board even, that cancel culture is very real and Rowling was a victim of it.

To be fair, cancel culture is real and Rowling is a victim of it.

Not just the way some people would like.

The same thing happened with Orson Scott Card when people called for the boycot of the Ender's Game movie. In the end, the clamoring kept the book on the NYT list for almost a full year. That really showed Card, I reckon. . . ;)

1 hour ago, Lord Patrek said:

To be fair, cancel culture is real and Rowling is a victim of it.

Not just the way some people would like.

The same thing happened with Orson Scott Card when people called for the boycot of the Ender's Game movie. In the end, the clamoring kept the book on the NYT list for almost a full year. That really showed Card, I reckon. . . ;)

Yeah, people doing things like selecting to not give money to people because they don’t like their character has been a thing since forever.

If the only people who “canceled” were gays, instead of homophobes-like Card-then there would be no name for this quite normal thing.

Notice how none of the boycotts launched by right-wingers is rarely brought up in the criticisms of “cancel culture” i.e boycotts against companies that promoted x socially progressive view.

I seem to remember over the *362* Cancel Culture threads, that while there wasn't a lot of agreement as to what Cancel Culture was, there did seem to be agreement that someone like JK Rowling wasn't ever going to be cancelled into obscurity. That appears to have been born out by the release of this book. It might also provide a hint that most people don't tend to get behind cancel culture causes in the way that people on Twitter think they should.

Part of 'cancel culture' however is harassment and abuse, and I don't think anyone can deny Rowling has experienced that. 

20 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

When I checked that Etsy yesterday those buttons were still available. Can’t imagine why they’d take those down!

And don’t be fucking daft, no one needs to read her new book at this point to know what a transphobic piece of shot she is. How is that even a discussion at this point?

I don’t honestly think there are still that many people who don’t see transphobia,

Even from people who’d shake and cry about the real issue being those evil Sock justice warriors on Twitter libeling her.

I do think Rowling’s terfism could bring forth a more interesting discussion.

Which is about how people can use a veneer of “progressive” rhetoric to promote old timely bigotry.

E.X We have to ban Muslim girls/women from wearing  x style of dress because it denigrates women’s right to choose, gender equality, and other words not bigots should be care about.

Trans women are not the biggest threat to cis women’s rights

Those would be the far right, social conservatives, who’d be cheering on Rowling’s terfism.

I haven't read the book nor will I. 

However I don't see why she got involved in politics to begin with. Literature is best involved with real world topics elliptically (well at least fantasy, Bear Town did an excellent job centering a story around a modern day issue). 

All of this is ancillary to the point that this subject isn't bettering her own life, so why is she fighting this battle? Its not personal and she's doing no one a favor. 

That being said the self-righteous anger on this thread and name calling has gone overboard.  

She is just one person, and she probably believes what she says which is more than I can say for most people. 

Archived