Ser Drewy

Controversy over transphobia in J.K Rowling's new book

10 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Has anyone criticising J K Rowling on this thread actually read the book?

No? Why would we? Her vile views are articulated perfectly in all her social media posts and interviews and press statements.

It is quite difficult to see how reading the book could alter the basic fact that after years of campaigning about how trans acceptance will lead to men invading women's spaces, putting women in physical danger, Rowling has written a book where a man dresses as a woman in order to kill women. I can't really imagine any context in which that doesn't come over pretty badly.

On 9/15/2020 at 10:20 PM, Chaircat Meow said:

Has anyone criticising J K Rowling on this thread actually read the book?

I expect that the row will give a very handy boost to sales.

Without the other writing, the other book is not transphobic as you describe it. It’s more about disguise and / or compartmentalism, even dissociation, in a guy whose sick to start with. If she makes it causal, than we have a problem. Like Silence of the lambs is not transphobic, what do you think? It could be thought of that way.

3 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Without the other writing, the other book is not transphobic as you describe it. It’s more about disguise and / or compartmentalism, even dissociation, in a guy whose sick to start with. If she makes it causal, than we have a problem. Like Silence of the lambs is not transphobic, what do you think? It could be thought of that way.

Um, Silence of the Lambs is considered to be extremely transphobic. There were protests.

I make the same mistakes. I should say that movie didn’t make me transphobic and never would. If it is upsetting to people than that is real.:( It’s hard for me to get it, sort of like racism or a cult. 

Edited by HoodedCrow
Hand slipped

46 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

She could lose more than half of her readership and still outsell 99% of the rest of the authors on the market. . .

If she lost half her book sales, the only other living authors who would still be outselling her are Danielle Steele and Stephen King. She's not going to be hurting at all, which makes all her piteous mewling about being cancelled all the more risible.

1 hour ago, HoodedCrow said:

The thing is though, she has already articulated her views on the subject, and is now doubling down on them.  This is beyond a "depiction is not endorsement" angle when that's been her argument the entire time.

This is essentially like arguing that if Donald Trump wrote a book about a Mexican rapist supergangmember serial killee, that if we hadn't heard all the other racist shit he's said on the subject that maybe no one would think it was that fucked up.

Edited by larrytheimp

Do her mysteries even sell that well? I was under the impression they didn't but that may have been before it was revealed who she was.

Also I've heard from people who read and (mostly) enjoyed the previews ones that this one is just plain shit, blatant transphobia aside.

Damn 924 pages? I hope it has a giant font. What's the word count on this fucker?

Trump hasn’t donated half his riches to charity or written bestselling liberal children’s books.  He is not self made. He hasn’t done anything good or smart except to exploit other people’s weaknesses or strengths. Rowling should not double down. Now I have to have Rowling under artists with serious blind spots. It would be like learning that George Martin eats cats and then writes a cat cookbook. wha?

It's not "serious blindspots." Look, it sucks to face up to, but she's a bigot. She's a bigot who truly feels she isn't a bigot. She is 100 percent self righteous and committed to the idea she is the victim here, which is what makes her changing incredibly unlikely.

Yet it can't be overlooked that she has done more good in the world than 99.99% of the people who despise her ever will. Well, it can, I suppose, but you have to be a bit delusional to do it.

7 minutes ago, Shaun Snow said:

Yet it can't be overlooked that she has done more good in the world than 99.99% of the people who despise her ever will. Well, it can, I suppose, but you have to be a bit delusional to do it.

Good deeds do not cancel bad. You can be a completely shitty person and still donate a lot to charity. You can't buy goodness. You can make great art (not that Harry Potter is great art) and still hold abhorrent views. And you shouldn't still still be lauded, celebrated, and held up as a hero and example for any good you've done once the bad shit comes out.

11 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Do her mysteries even sell that well? I was under the impression they didn't but that may have been before it was revealed who she was.

Also I've heard from people who read and (mostly) enjoyed the previews ones that this one is just plain shit, blatant transphobia aside.

Damn 924 pages? I hope it has a giant font. What's the word count on this fucker?

I remember trying to read the first one and it was pretty crap. She'd made almost zero attempt to update her prose style from Potter, so it felt like it was still aimed at 8 year olds but with occasional swearing.

They do sell very well, but a minute fraction of her Potter sales. When your main series has sold over 600 million copies, even a tiny fraction of that is still a figure that crushes almost all other comers.

She's also done more bad in the world than 99.99% of the population who laud her ever will. The good does not balance out the bad, or the inverse.

It's entirely possible for a philanthropist to later become or be revealed as a bigoted asshole who does a lot of harm. Case in point...