Ser Drewy

Controversy over transphobia in J.K Rowling's new book

Also, keep in mind that Bookscan doesn't track ebook and audiobook sales. Which probably puts her numbers at close to 100,000 copies sold in a couple of days.

But even with 65,000 copies sold, it would still put her on top of the NYT bestseller list, way ahead of number two, in a market that is much larger than the UK's.

A far cry from the Harry Potter numbers, true. But outselling almost everything else on the market these days.

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Reading it now. Definitely not as innocent as the Spectator article suggests, but it’s not (so far) a scare piece on transgender people lurking in toilets to murder people. 
I’ll update when finished.

I’m partway through it also. Agree with this sentiment so far. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

There are no words

This is just painful to watch tbh

I can't wrap my head around the fact that one of my favourite childhood author is just being horrible to a vulnerable group of people.

It is one thing if her books have problematic elements in them (the house elves, the goblins in Gringotts, etc), but this is just on another level of bad.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

There are no words

To be fair to her, I looked at their Etsy shop and didn’t see anything about Trans on there. It’s quite possible she wasn’t aware of those badges.

However there were other badges like ‘dead men don’t rape’ and ‘kill your rapist’ which definitely seems like something Rowling would be on board with, and represent the type of feminism going on in that shop.

2 hours ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

This is just painful to watch tbh

I can't wrap my head around the fact that one of my favourite childhood author is just being horrible to a vulnerable group of people.

It is one thing if her books have problematic elements in them (the house elves, the goblins in Gringotts, etc), but this is just on another level of bad.

When did shoe on head start having a problem with terfs?

I'm not sure why I'd need to read the book to confirm that the premise leans on transphobic tropes (which match her quite clearly stated political views) which are harmful even when that harm is not intended. The harmfulness of a premise doesn't rely on execution, poor or otherwise. I've already said that this seems to have been the case I'm SotL due to follow up comments and work. Given all this rl shit I do not extend that benefit of the doing to JK, but I still don't need to read the work to confirm that because it's the premise.

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I'm only peripherally aware of her other than having known her boxxy videos when she did them, but I have vague recollections of Vaush defending his value to the left by claiming to have converted her from the alt right or some shit. That's also basically the only thing I know about him, other than that he was clearly acting dickish enough to need to defend himself. These people aren't in my corner of the net lol.

9 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Reading it now. Definitely not as innocent as the Spectator article suggests, but it’s not (so far) a scare piece on transgender people lurking in toilets to murder people. 
I’ll update when finished.

I applaud you for your effort, Derfel. Thank you for taking one for the team! <3 

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I've no idea who she is, that was just the first tweet that popped up when I saw JK Rowling was trending again and wondered why.

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

She's had her redemption arc, it has been fun watching sargon of akaad lose his mind over it. 

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

There are no words

Yeah, definitely seems like she's trolling at this point.

22 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Also, keep in mind that Bookscan doesn't track ebook and audiobook sales. Which probably puts her numbers at close to 100,000 copies sold in a couple of days.

But even with 65,000 copies sold, it would still put her on top of the NYT bestseller list, way ahead of number two, in a market that is much larger than the UK's.

A far cry from the Harry Potter numbers, true. But outselling almost everything else on the market these days.

See now I'm confused as I was assured, by people on this board even, that cancel culture is very real and Rowling was a victim of it.

To be fair, cancel culture is real and Rowling is a victim of it.

Not just the way some people would like.

The same thing happened with Orson Scott Card when people called for the boycot of the Ender's Game movie. In the end, the clamoring kept the book on the NYT list for almost a full year. That really showed Card, I reckon. . . ;)

1 hour ago, Lord Patrek said:

To be fair, cancel culture is real and Rowling is a victim of it.

Not just the way some people would like.

The same thing happened with Orson Scott Card when people called for the boycot of the Ender's Game movie. In the end, the clamoring kept the book on the NYT list for almost a full year. That really showed Card, I reckon. . . ;)

Yeah, people doing things like selecting to not give money to people because they don’t like their character has been a thing since forever.

If the only people who “canceled” were gays, instead of homophobes-like Card-then there would be no name for this quite normal thing.

Notice how none of the boycotts launched by right-wingers is rarely brought up in the criticisms of “cancel culture” i.e boycotts against companies that promoted x socially progressive view.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321