Are Dany's dragons doomed?

Nathan Stark

I'm genuinely curious about this. They are all reffered to as male, and there are only these three that we are absolutely certain exist in the Martinverse. Since dragons are back in the world, I have to ask; is this a permanent change? Will the boys find some way to reproduce? Or are dragons doomed to go extinct, once and for all?

13 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

I'm genuinely curious about this. They are all reffered to as male, and there are only these three that we are absolutely certain exist in the Martinverse. Since dragons are back in the world, I have to ask; is this a permanent change? Will the boys find some way to reproduce? Or are dragons doomed to go extinct, once and for all?

Dragons can change their sex to reproduce, apparently. 

But whether or not they can reproduce is only half the answer to what you’re asking. The dragons could all still die in the story. Maybe the Others and dragons will have to mutually destroy each other for the conflict to end? Who knows? I’m curious to find out what happens.

3 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

The dragons signify a rebirth.  They are the light of the world.  I do not think they will all die.  One or two may die, but not all three.  Enough to bring the species back into the world to balance the threat posed by the white walkers and the direwolves. 

3 hours ago, James Steller said:

The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame. The language misled us all for a thousand years. 

The belief that dragons could change sex at need is erroneous, according to Maester Anson's Truth, rooted in a misunderstanding of the esoteric metaphor that Barth preferred when discussing the higher mysteries.

I think its likely they can, but GRRM wants to keep us guessing...
This is the sort of little thing that I think brings that extra level of realism in a fantasy series. Learned men disagreeing on a basic but arcane fact. 

4 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

Not only can dragons change probably their sex, but dragons don't age, so they could theoretically live forever and have lots of baby dragons. That being said, the dragons are a huge menace to the world, I doubt they will survive.

1 hour ago, CamiloRP said:

Not only can dragons change probably their sex, but dragons don't age, so they could theoretically live forever and have lots of baby dragons. That being said, the dragons are a huge menace to the world, I doubt they will survive.

Actually dragons are mortals. Or they can live longer than humans. But their potential life cycle is "only" couple hundred years. For instance Balerion died of old age during reign of Jaehaerys I.

6 hours ago, James Steller said:

But whether or not they can reproduce is only half the answer to what you’re asking. The dragons could all still die in the story. Maybe the Others and dragons will have to mutually destroy each other for the conflict to end? Who knows? I’m curious to find out what happens.

Only one man tought about this, Septon Barth. He wrote it down as a fact, but it is still a speculation, it can not be believed as a fact. 

Reading F&B made me feel a different way. There were dragons that never layed any eggs, and there were dragons that did. And those that layed eggs, did lay them many times(for example: Dreamfyre), while other dragons never. Is it a coincidence? I don't think so, septon Barth may have been wrong.

The other thing: Why would GRRM bring back dragons if they will all die at the end? So they reborn after 150 years just to go extinct again? I don't think so.

10 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

Yes, dragons will disappear from the world. At best we will be left with hints of dragon eggs hidden somewhere.

6 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

Actually dragons are mortals. Or they can live longer than humans. But their potential life cycle is "only" couple hundred years. For instance Balerion died of old age during reign of Jaehaerys I.

really? huh must have missed that 

This topic brings up a more important question. What happens Drogon lives? He will likely outlive Daenerys, so who will inherit him? Danny can't have children, so unless she leaves a will stating who keeps the dragon, that could possibly mean *deep breath* more war.

6 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

This topic brings up a more important question. What happens Drogon lives? He will likely outlive Daenerys, so who will inherit him? Danny can't have children,

Can’t she? Are you sure? :P

6 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

so unless she leaves a will stating who keeps the dragon, that could possibly mean *deep breath* more war.

I really don’t think a will would work. I mean, Drogon is not going to just accept someone if he doesn’t feel like it. :D

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I really don’t think a will would work. I mean, Drogon is not going to just accept someone if he doesn’t feel like it. :D

True. Which would make things way worse!

The fight to bring the light into this world is not over after the White Walkers have been driven back.  There is still the matter of slavery to deal with.  Drogon and his siblings are the Lightbringer.  I hope they will live through the story and beyond.  That is not likely though.  At least one will die.  If that one dragon lives long enough to lay eggs then they will be reborn again in the future.  The dragons will not go extinct.  And neither will the Targaryens.  The world is much more interesting with them in it. 

2 hours ago, Damsel in Distress said:

The dragons will not go extinct.  And neither will the Targaryens.  The world is much more interesting with them in it.

Aegon IV was a terrible king. But he made sure that there should be many people in Westeros who had at least some Targ blood in their veins. But I suspect that none of them will use Targaryen name.

I wouldnt mind seeing dragons living at the end, just as long as they are allowed to live in nature like they were before Targaryens tamed them, and not beasts bred for war. I hope they'll retreat to the mysterious corners of the world. 

"Dragons are the light of the world" is a view very out of touch with the times. California and Oregon are hellscapes because of fire. The author having fire breathing monsters saving the planet as our real world burns because of fire would be insulting and laughable. 

20 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

Almost valid.  We don't know how old The Black Dread was when he came over from Valyria.  I think a couple hundred years is likely if the worm lived on Dragonstone.  Less in the greater world.  Old age didn't kill Balerion.  

Dragons are reptiles.   They look like flying reptiles to me.  I had iguanas.   I couldn't tell who was what, only that the littler they were the meaner and more spastic they were.     

Archived