7railer 7hread 7

SpaceChampion

On 11/18/2020 at 9:43 PM, Ran said:

I'd be willing to put up PonyoArietty, and The Red Turtle against The Secret of KellsSong of the Sea, and The Breadwinner. YMMV!

I'd agree, its a style thing of course, but I am not very enamored of this Cartoon Saloon style.

Obviously those films you mention are not the best Studio Ghibli films but for me their style is much better. Arriety is a stunning film to look at.

But we shouldnt forget Makoto Shinkai...or the awesome animation done by Netflix right now in some of their shows...or Avatar TLA/Korra/Dragon Prince.

I guess I'm the opposite, I find stuff like Ponyo to be rather ugly and unsophisticated with its thick broadly outlined characters and 2 tone depth of field, even in comparison to earlier Ghibli like Totoro. Where as i marvel at the beauty of much of Cartoon Salon's style, which is so rich and detailed in its pattern and line work. 

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I guess I'm the opposite, I find stuff like Ponyo to be rather ugly and unsophisticated with its thick broadly outlined characters and 2 tone depth of field, even in comparison to earlier Ghibli like Totoro. Where as i marvel at the beauty of much of Cartoon Salon's style, which is so rich and detailed in its pattern and line work. 

Obviously, different strokes for different folks, but I went into Ponyo thinking it was going to be too childish and was taken away with how free and imaginative it was, and how beautiful some of the work was. Especially in the backgrounds, which adopted the gouache look Miyazaki so often used when sketching out his storyboards. Like this one, showing their town. And this scene really took my breath away.

Cartoon Saloon has an excellent design aesthetic as well, very different in a lot of ways. Less organic and naturalistic than Ghibli, more abstract and geometric, really drawing on an Irish artistic tradition (and inspired a great deal in their approach by the late Richard Williams, especially the legendary, unfinished The Thief and the Cobbler, I should add.)

Yeah I think some of the colour and pencil work in Ponyo’s backgrounds is often very beautiful. I just personally think there is an uncomfortable clash of styles in those movies. The character designs are quite uncontrolled and thick, and use a heavy outline I really don’t like. Then elements like the sea have a very odd aesthetic to them that doesn’t quite seem to fit. I’m not keen on the palette either.

It is a matter of taste, I am not a fan of Anime visually , and they might affect my view of these movies 

As far as pure visuals go, I think they're neck and neck. The style hasn't really been my problem with any of the Ghibli films in the period (Ponyo may be my least favourite Miyazaki visually, but that's relative), and one of them was the absurdly gorgeous Tale of Princess Kaguya. As someone mentioned, Makoto Shinkai has also been doing bits across the period if we're talking purely that.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Bob Odenkirk, action hero.

Looks kinda terrible. At the beginning of the trailer, I thought they were just spoofing John Wick (like an exact remake, only with Bob in the Keany role and playing it up for laughts) but I guess the John Wick connection is to be understood as some people have crossed over. I'll probably see it if it gets good reviews, but it seems to be a little too much on the nose based on this first trailer.

24 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Looks kinda terrible. At the beginning of the trailer, I thought they were just spoofing John Wick (like an exact remake, only with Bob in the Keany role and playing it up for laughts) but I guess the John Wick connection is to be understood as some people have crossed over. I'll probably see it if it gets good reviews, but it seems to be a little too much on the nose based on this first trailer.

Hmm, initially I thought this could in fact be really enjoyable. However I misunderstood the concept. If this was in fact the story of an actual loser husband who just breaks and goes nuts aka Breaking Bad or Falling Down, I would have been completely on board with this movie. I'm a sucker for those kind of things. However revealing that he's just some retired secret ops kinda guy is pretty dull, it really just becomes John Wick with a family then. 

Archived