7railer 7hread 7

SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

I don't care for much of those movies but I'm increasingly thinking of switching over from Netflix to HBOMAX. I'd get those movies which, while maybe not the most compelling to me, looks to be on par with Netflix's content. And then I'd also get the Deadwood movie (which to my shame, I have not seen yet), Many Saints of Newark, Succession, Chernobyl, Watchmen and HBO's show catalog.

13 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I don't care for much of those movies but I'm increasingly thinking of switching over from Netflix to HBOMAX. I'd get those movies which, while maybe not the most compelling to me, looks to be on par with Netflix's content. And then I'd also get the Deadwood movie (which to my shame, I have not seen yet), Many Saints of Newark, Succession, Chernobyl, Watchmen and HBO's show catalog.

"It's the little things Jimmy" and then they cut straight to Kong bludgeoning Godzilla's face in with the top of a skyscraper :lol: The person who cut this trailer deserves an award :D 

On 25/01/2021 at 7:36 AM, Heartofice said:

Have to congratulate Warner Bros here, they’ve managed to create not only a movie , but an entire franchise that will be instantly forgotten faster than Univerals Dark universe 

What? This doesn't even make sense. Are you under the impression somehow that this is the first and only movie in this series like how the Mummy was the first and only movie in its series?

11 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

What? This doesn't even make sense. Are you under the impression somehow that this is the first and only movie in this series like how the Mummy was the first and only movie in its series?

Eh? I’m well aware of the other movies in this series.. They are just not very good. 

12 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Eh? I’m well aware of the other movies in this series.. They are just not very good.

His point is that the Dark universe vanished after one movie so your hyperbole that this will vanish faster than that was past its sell by date before it even got started.

The Dark universe was such a wasted opportunity. They should have gone for a 'verse of cheesy campy kitsch horror but they had to try to make it serious. Idiots.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Firefly went mental

First of these Chinese SF VFX extravaganzas that seemed actually fun, in a very B-movie kind of way. Might actually give it a try.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

This is South Korean, but yes it looks fun in a very un-serious way.

Ah, should have realized. Something about the language didn't seem right for Chinese, but Netflix has bought in a couple of Chinese films of late so I made the incorrect assumption. Well, even happier to look at it (South Korea has been producing better SF/F films of late than China, so ... even better!)

I do wonder why Japan hasn't seemed to jump onto the VFX extravaganza train. Well, I guess they do with animation.

2 hours ago, Gronzag said:

Watching the trailer, I was surprised how competently it seems to be made for a Chinese film.

Turns out, its Korean.

Glad I am not the only one to have made that mistake!

I think the Chinese SF films I've seen so far have been very ... hmm, how to put it... Very much about the spectacle while having nonsensical stories and/or wooden actors, and having very little sense of genuine fun. This is in contrast to some of the very fine films, both contemporary and historical (including some of the better wuxia films from acclaimed directors), that China regularly produces. 

No idea if Space Sweepers will be a fun, B-movie kind of thing or just a complete dud, of course. We'll see.

ETA: First review of Space Sweepers I've found called it extremely derivative and feels like it was made by committee.

8 hours ago, Ran said:

Glad I am not the only one to have made that mistake!

I think the Chinese SF films I've seen so far have been very ... hmm, how to put it... Very much about the spectacle while having nonsensical stories and/or wooden actors, and having very little sense of genuine fun. This is in contrast to some of the very fine films, both contemporary and historical (including some of the better wuxia films from acclaimed directors), that China regularly produces. 

No idea if Space Sweepers will be a fun, B-movie kind of thing or just a complete dud, of course. We'll see.

ETA: First review of Space Sweepers I've found called it extremely derivative and feels like it was made by committee.

I believe that phenomenon of crazy nonsensical Chinese high budget spectacles comes from the the fact that now anyone with enough money can make a CGI movie, in a market that is big and hungry enough to sustain quite a few of them every year. So now you have a situation where a bunch of Chinese millionaire hacks are styling themselves 'filmmakers' and are throwing shit against the wall in hopes that they will get lucky and that their movie will become a hit like Wandering Earth.

I also think that many, if not most, quality wuxia films were made by folks from Hong Kong and Taiwan, even if they were produced in mainland China.

5 minutes ago, Gronzag said:

I also think that many, if not most, quality wuxia films were made by folks from Hong Kong and Taiwan, even if they were produced in mainland China.

Do you think so? Hard to say. I'm thinking films like Zhang Yimou's films (HeroHouse of Flying DaggersShadow which looks amazing and I haven't yet seen), but maybe a lot of the people behind the scenes are indeed from Hong Kong/Taiwan.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Do you think so? Hard to say. I'm thinking films like Zhang Yimou's films (HeroHouse of Flying DaggersShadow which looks amazing and I haven't yet seen), but maybe a lot of the people behind the scenes are indeed from Hong Kong/Taiwan.

Zhang is from mainland China, yeah, and Hero and Shadow are pretty great (though the imperialist propaganda in Hero does clang), but films like Crouching Tiger, Fearless, Reign of Assassins, Red Cliff if you count that as Wuxia - they're all made by or with the involvement of Taiwanese or HK directors. So Gronzag might have a point though I've not seen that many Wuxia films overall to be able to say that for sure.

Archived