7railer 7hread 7

SpaceChampion

When I saw the title, I thought, "Oh, cool, a new adaptation of the Theroux novel. Always liked Harrison Ford as Allie, and River Phoenix as Charlie in the Peter Weir film..."

And then I saw Justin Theroux, and I said, "Oh, that's pretty cool, Paul Theroux's nephew in the lead role..."

And then when it was done I... uh, scratched my head and went and checked to see if it is, in fact, an adaptation of the novel.

And it is. But it is  also not. It is so, so not.

17 hours ago, Scott_N said:

Can you elaborate, Ran? I love that novel but found myself non-plussed by that trailer.

Yeah, me too. They seem to have decided that that really need to show us a prequel establishing that Allie had gotten involved with a vicious drug cartel and that this is what leads to him transplanting his family into the middle of nowhere. I feel like they're never going to shake off the cartel thing and they'll have hitmen and stuff coming at them for the duration of the show. An absurd take on Theroux's novel.

This has a very cool look to it.

MASTER follows the story of Olivia, a once promising martial arts champion, who is on a journey to guide her family to what she believes is a better life. Along the way, she discovers that the life she is leaving behind is the one she should be fighting for.

Very neat looking,  definitely. Same aesthetic that made Into the Spider-Verse such a delight. I don't think I'd ever get tired of comic book / anime movies with this mix of hand-drawn looking movement in modern CG environments. Frankly the entire MCU could look like this and they could be out-of-this-world cool. Feed me, Leroy.

11 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Very neat looking,  definitely. Same aesthetic that made Into the Spider-Verse such a delight. I don't think I'd ever get tired of comic book / anime movies with this mix of hand-drawn looking movement in modern CG environments. Frankly the entire MCU could look like this and they could be out-of-this-world cool. Feed me, Leroy.

That's not surprising as the project is in development with Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse co-director Peter Ramsey onboard as executive producer.

Jamaal Bradley is the director and is a former Dreamworks supervising animator and current senior animator at Valve.
More about this project can be found here, Cartoon Brew .

14 hours ago, Ran said:

Yeah, me too. They seem to have decided that that really need to show us a prequel establishing that Allie had gotten involved with a vicious drug cartel and that this is what leads to him transplanting his family into the middle of nowhere. I feel like they're never going to shake off the cartel thing and they'll have hitmen and stuff coming at them for the duration of the show. An absurd take on Theroux's novel.

Cheers, Ran. Well, that is deflating turn of events. I got excited there for a bit. 

Never heard of this and I'm not sure if its based on a previous work of if this is an original story - but I can't wait.

In this ultra-violent, fantasy epic, ancient dark magic falls into sinister hands and unleashes ages of suffering onto mankind. A group of heroes from different eras and cultures must band together in order to defeat it at all costs.

WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY:
Philip Gelatt, Morgan Galen King

STARRING:
Richard E. Grant, Lucy Lawless, Patton Oswalt, Betty Gabriel, Larry Fessenden, and Joe Manganiello.

39 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Never heard of this and I'm not sure if its based on a previous work of if this is an original story - but I can't wait.

In this ultra-violent, fantasy epic, ancient dark magic falls into sinister hands and unleashes ages of suffering onto mankind. A group of heroes from different eras and cultures must band together in order to defeat it at all costs.

WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY:
Philip Gelatt, Morgan Galen King

STARRING:
Richard E. Grant, Lucy Lawless, Patton Oswalt, Betty Gabriel, Larry Fessenden, and Joe Manganiello.

Rotoscoping really is the stuff of nightmares. Looks like a sequel to that Lord of the Rings movie by Bakshi. Not a compliment 

On 3/12/2021 at 5:21 AM, Heartofice said:

Rotoscoping really is the stuff of nightmares. Looks like a sequel to that Lord of the Rings movie by Bakshi. Not a compliment 

I was already in, then I saw Patton Oswalt. WTF? This is definitely a Saturday night bong-and-a-movie right here.

On 3/12/2021 at 12:21 PM, Heartofice said:

I don't understand why they've made the backgrounds look so fucking awesome then ruined it with that nonsense.

Not sure what all the apprehension is over the rotoscoping. Apparently its inspired by the works of Bakshi and Frank Franzetta. I'll take the first hit and watch it when it becomes available and let y'all know if the rotoscoping made it shit or not. 

-------

and for some comedy from non-English speaking shores...

Note: If your Tamil is a bit rusty, then click on the subtitles.

Archived