What if Ned let Cersei keep Lady's pelt?

Angel Eyes

That would have been a cruel act, no doubt beyond Ned's ability.  A genuinely kind and loving father wouldn't do a thing like that.  Fortunately, Sansa had that guy for a dad.  

She took the long way to learning the valuable lessons.  She's suffered greatly for her errors.  She doesn't need more nightmare fodder.  

On 9/17/2020 at 12:07 AM, Lord Lannister said:

I'm not so sure. Sansa ignored a lot of Joffrey's deplorable character traits early on because she was infatuated with him. I could easily see Sansa twisting it in her mind to pin the blame on her father for letting it happen. Cersei might even be smart enough to see that and use it as a lever to manipulate Sansa even further against her father. 

This is true. Cersei could have used the pelt to drive an even bigger wedge between Sansa and Ned; Cersei might gift it to Sansa, with a not so subtle "I know you have been giving for your wolf, you should have this to remember her by" and Sansa would readily buy into it. Also makes Ned look niggardly, because - as others have pointed out - he's not a cruel parent who'd gift his daughter the skin of her beloved pet to begin with.

Direwolves belong in the north.  Her death should have been another warning to the Starks to go back home.  The south is no place for them.  All of the Starks, alive or dead, will return to the north.  That includes their four legged friends.  Look back in history.  Lyanna died in the south and the Starks went through hell to get her remains returned to the north.  Arya, Sansa, Robb, and Jon will return to Winterfell one way or the other, alive or dead.  Robb's head is coming back home.  Greywind's pelt will be returned to where it belongs.  Jon comes back as a wight.  Arya's corpse might not go back north but her soul in Nymeria will.  

Ned would not have allowed Lady's pelt on Cersei's shoulders.  That is an insult to the wolf and the family.  Besides, Ned failed to realize the depth of Sansa's affections for Joffrey.

Archived