US/UK versions: how to choose?

zionius

I live in Asia and run an ASOIAF blog, many people in my country asked me which English version should they choose. Since it's hard to find them in bookstores here, I don't know how they look and feel in read life.

So I wonder, how shall I recommend to them which version to choose, in terms of paper/font/print quality?

1. For low budget, the choice between US paperback / US Mass Market Paperback / US leather bound set / UK paperback in 6 volumes / UK paperback in 7 volumes. (I also want to know how to tell US paperback from US mmp since online booksellers in my country don't tell you which version they're selling, I can only tell from the covers, but it seems paperback and mmp use the same cover sometimes.)

2. For higher budget, the choice between common US / UK hardcover.

3. For TWOIAF, the choice between US / UK hardcover.  

4. For F&B, the choice between US / UK hardcover.

5. For AKotSK, the choice between US / UK hardcover.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 11:44 AM, zionius said:

I live in Asia and run an ASOIAF blog, many people in my country asked me which English version should they choose. Since it's hard to find them in bookstores here, I don't know how they look and feel in read life.

So I wonder, how shall I recommend to them which version to choose, in terms of paper/font/print quality?

1. For low budget, the choice between US paperback / US Mass Market Paperback / US leather bound set / UK paperback in 6 volumes / UK paperback in 7 volumes. (I also want to know how to tell US paperback from US mmp since online booksellers in my country don't tell you which version they're selling, I can only tell from the covers, but it seems paperback and mmp use the same cover sometimes.)

2. For higher budget, the choice between common US / UK hardcover.

3. For TWOIAF, the choice between US / UK hardcover.  

4. For F&B, the choice between US / UK hardcover.

5. For AKotSK, the choice between US / UK hardcover.

You can come to our FB group and ask us!

There are many takes to collecting the firsts!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/472004276741162/

I'll just add that the most desired collectible edition in general will be the first trade edition of the country where the author is from. So for GRRM the US 1st print editions are most collectible/desirable, whether they are hardcover or softcover (whichever was published first). Although the UK editions can be more expensive because the print runs are lower.

On 9/27/2020 at 4:19 AM, The_Antiquarian said:

You can come to our FB group and ask us!

There are many takes to collecting the firsts!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/472004276741162/

Thanks! I joined it last year and know it would be the best place to find the answer, but was a little hesitated to ask since it's has nothing to do with rare editions XD

6 hours ago, becca69 said:

I'll just add that the most desired collectible edition in general will be the first trade edition of the country where the author is from. So for GRRM the US 1st print editions are most collectible/desirable, whether they are hardcover or softcover (whichever was published first). Although the UK editions can be more expensive because the print runs are lower.

I'm more interested in a general guideline for general readers: which English version should they choose? For a guy live in US/UK, the answer is obvious: the version on shelves in their country. But not so for a guy live in Asia. Here editions from Bantam/Harper are similar in terms of availability and price (~$30 for a paperback set, ~$60 for a hardcover set), so general Asia readers may be more concerned about paper/font/print quality. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 1:57 AM, zionius said:

I'm more interested in a general guideline for general readers: which English version should they choose? For a guy live in US/UK, the answer is obvious: the version on shelves in their country. But not so for a guy live in Asia. Here editions from Bantam/Harper are similar in terms of availability and price (~$30 for a paperback set, ~$60 for a hardcover set), so general Asia readers may be more concerned about paper/font/print quality. 

It's difficult to give an answer. The obvious would be the one you are able to get easily. But if that's not an issue, I would want a higher quality set. Probably the newest hardcover - if it's for reading and not collecting. Or if you want a nice signed copy (hardcover or PB), you can always buy from the Jean Cocteau Theatre/Beastly Books.

Archived