US Politics: Weimar, Washington, Whining, Bush II

A Horse Named Stranger

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well I'm gonna get real high and drunk now to forget life.

With you there. 

Have I become too cynical that my first thought after thinking about her family is to wonder if they'll try and make a lame duck appointment and/or how this will impact a possible SC ruling if Trump tries to sue, assuming he loses?

2020, you really suck. And we all thought 2018 was the worst, until we got 2019. Well 2020 is dunking on both of them hard.

also @DMC unrelated but kinda related, here's another article on how America is sliding into authoritarianism and how hard it is to stop once it starts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/09/18/united-states-is-backsliding-into-autocracy-under-trump-scholars-warn/

referenced paper is here:

https://www.v-dem.net/media/filer_public/f9/08/f908eb53-c0e2-40f0-9294-e067537d8f0b/v-dem_policybrief_5_2016.pdf

Trump's reelection just got a lot more likely.  Because whatever Barr clone they appoint in the next month is gonna be all for any shenanigans he pulls.  Roberts isn't the swing vote anymore now it's....gorsuch?  We're so fucked.

RIP RBG

Just now, Maithanet said:

Trump's reelection just got a lot more likely.  Because whatever Barr clone they appoint in the next month is gonna be all for any shenanigans he pulls.  Roberts isn't the swing vote anymore now it's....gorsuch?  We're so fucked.

RIP RBG

What's the time frame to appoint someone to the SC?

Would they try to do it beforehand, in case of a loss. Or wait until after the election in order to try and draw in more voters?

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

Would they try to do it beforehand, in case of a loss. Or wait until after the election in order to try and draw in more voters?

My suspicion is that for optimal value they'd try and do it until after the election. 

BUT

I suspect strongly that they will do it literally the day after the election regardless of the result.

As to time, in theory they can absurdly expedite it however fast they want to. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Have I become too cynical that my first thought after thinking about her family is to wonder if they'll try and make a lame duck appointment

They're obviously going to confirm somebody, I don't think it's cynical that that's your first thought, just human nature.

3 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

also @DMC unrelated but kinda related, here's another article on how America is sliding into authoritarianism and how hard it is to stop once it starts.

I really don't think the occasion of Ginsburg's death is the time to discuss America's descent into authoritarianism, but YMMV.

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Roberts isn't the swing vote anymore now it's....gorsuch?

Yep it's Gorsuch.

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Would they try to do it beforehand, in case of a loss.

It'd be historically fast for them to do it before the election, but certainly quite possible and I could see definitely doing it.

3 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I assume they'll do it before, because fuck the liberals.  

As for how long it takes, in a normal process there isn't enough time.  But this won't be normal, and they'll make absolutely sure it happens.  Barring like 4 Republican senators absolutely refusing to confirm anyone, it'll happen.  And I don't see where those four votes will possibly come from.

1 minute ago, Kalibear said:

My suspicion is that for optimal value they'd try and do it until after the election. 

BUT

I suspect strongly that they will do it literally the day after the election regardless of the result.

As to time, in theory they can absurdly expedite it however fast they want to. 

I've argued why I strongly oppose packing the SC, but if they do what they almost certainly will do, fuck it, go for it and get a court that rips up all their voter suppression and never let them have power again.

1 minute ago, Mindwalker said:

She was a great woman.

And yeah, fuck. Why would hey wait until after the election?

Maximize voting turnout. There are a very large number of conservative voters who dont' like Trump but desperately want conservative justices on the court and love his picks. If you force them to vote for Trump to get that pick, they'll vote and turn out. 

1 minute ago, Kalibear said:

Maximize voting turnout. There are a very large number of conservative voters who dont' like Trump but desperately want conservative justices on the court and love his picks. If you force them to vote for Trump to get that pick, they'll vote and turn out. 

They could still appoint someone before January even if Trump loses. 

Archived