US Politics: Weimar, Washington, Whining, Bush II

A Horse Named Stranger

I think McConnell will want to wait because he wants to give Trump the most chance of winning, and getting people to turn out. Getting that justice packed now is both a bit weird and takes the pressure off some. And I suspect Trump will be advised of that as well and act accordingly.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. I think the conservatives he has truely alienated (the educated suburbian voters) might very well arrive at the conclusion, that no court pick in the world is worth four more years of this utter madness.

I'm mostly not talking about people he's alienated that much. I'm talking about the ones who might have chosen to sit at home and sit this one out. I'm talking about evangelicals who see this as a once in a 50 year opportunity to get Roe overturned and get church in schools again, as they have a POTUS with no morals who has pledged to do exactly that because it gets them votes. 

1 minute ago, Kalibear said:

I think McConnell will want to wait because he wants to give Trump the most chance of winning, and getting people to turn out.

I guess I just don't understand your basis for this premise that waiting to confirm the justice is going to engender higher turnout than Trump being able to say he confirmed three justices in one term on the eve of the election.

Just now, DMC said:

I guess I just don't understand your basis for this premise that waiting to confirm the justice is going to engender higher turnout than Trump being able to say he confirmed three justices in one term on the eve of the election.

Because he can say things like 'If Biden is elected he will nominate the MOST LIBERAL JUSTICE THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN'. Whereas if I am elected I will continue to elect justices who ARE TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME'. That's a much bigger voting reason than 'vote for me because I've already confirmed a justice and no one else is going to die any time soon' .

9 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Every horrible thing keeps happening, doesn't it?  There's no way this movie ends with Joe Biden beating Trump and taking office, is there?  

Trisk, I honestly think this is all much more symptomatic of a corrupt and broken system. We've kind of proved that you can't stand on "tradition" concerning norms and principles. People will inevitably take advantage of this. What really changes if McConnell doesn't approve RBG's replacement? The majority was still overwhelmingly stacked against the Dems. They failed to fight this when it mattered--when Obama was still in power. Now we're just playing catchup. Something drastic has to happen, we can't just "go back to the way things were before Trump" (as I've seen many argue, at time including Biden). We can't just go back to "decency" or whatever that means. The corruption is in full display. 

ETA: I think the first way you begin fixing this mess is by ending the Senate. The Constitutional Convention wasn't ever considered a "permanent" fix after the Articles of Confederation failed so badly. The idea of the Senate made more sense back then, but now it's absurd (North and South Dakota have more senate votes than California?). These things should be revisited. But even if Joe wins, what's he really going to do to solve this Pandora's Box of racism and hatred and resentment? If the Trumpers take up their guns and actually try instigate civil war--what's Biden going to do? Send the Marines after them? That doesn't fix it either. He's got a long, rough road ahead if he means to instigate meaningful, positive change in this country. 

I don't think this will stop Republicans for one second, but if they replace her with indecent haste, especially after her dying wish was for a wait till January, they may just finally make the Supreme Court an animating issue for the Left.

Or maybe I'm just deluding myself by grasping at what I can. What a devastating loss. And it kills me knowing that she died fearing the consequences of her death. 

Just now, Kalibear said:

Because he can say things like 'If Biden is elected he will nominate the MOST LIBERAL JUSTICE THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN'. Whereas if I am elected I will continue to elect justices who ARE TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME'.

McConnell is already on record saying he would confirm a justice if an opening occurred.  The people in which the court is highly salient would expect him to confirm a justice during the lameduck session anyway, so I don't see how the Biden fear-mongering would generate any escalated turnout compared to appeasing that bloc of voters and granting them certainty that the seat is filled.

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

the promise of “vote for me and I’ll give you prayer in schools and get Roe overturned” is FAR more powerful than actually getting it fait accompli before the election.

Not on the GOP constituency and confirming justices, no.  They expect results - and get them.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

McConnell is already on record saying he would confirm a justice if an opening occurred.  The people in which the court is highly salient would expect him to confirm a justice during the lameduck session anyway, so I don't see how the Biden fear-mongering would generate any escalated turnout compared to appeasing that bloc of voters and granting them certainty that the seat is filled.

He's on record as saying he'll do that in this specific case.

1 minute ago, Kalibear said:

He's on record as saying he'll do that in this specific case.

Of course, he's said many times that's what he'll do.

Just now, The Great Unwashed said:

McConnell fired the first shot. Democrats better be ready to go to the mattresses.

And do what?  Sleep?

14 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

McConnell fired the first shot. Democrats better be ready to go to the mattresses.

Is there anything the dems can do about this though?   I mean short of threatening to win the senate and confirming an avalanche of leftists to the court?

Archived