US Politics: Weimar, Washington, Whining, Bush II

A Horse Named Stranger

The moon can be reached by man.

The moon can be reached by man jumping very high.

One of these statements is ridiculous and impossible, thus deserving a response in the opposite direction. An inability to process this fact is disastrously immature, near to simple.

In other news, calling a lid this morning while easily explicable as "the political terrain didn't so much shift beneath our feet last night as it did pull The Big One, and we need to recalculate and re-message before inadvertently committing ourselves going forward" makes "Biden is Taravangian (from the Stormlight Archive)" quips easier.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Mitch McConnell is a black tongue lieing sack of shit who’s blatent hypocrisy and double dealing have damaged American political discourse.  He is an embarrassment to everyone who has any integrity and believes politics should be about something more than mere power.  He is among the most base and immoral human beings to ever set foot in the well of the United States Senate.  If you are not embarrassed by him and his power grab I worry for your own integrity:

Tell us you really feel, Ser Scot, I’m still a bit fuzzy!

Time for a new Biden/Harris administration to pack the court.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/09/19/mcconnell-biden-pack-court/

Don't sit back and whine about unfairness or victimhood, don't be weak. Biden needs to add as many justices as it takes to ensure Americans are protected from the type of crazies that would take HC away from 35 million people or end women's control of their own bodies.

This is about preserving and protecting the dignity of the masses.

Gotta say, the notion that nominating and confirming Lagoa before the election could help boost Trump with Cuban-Americans - and consequently help him win Florida - seems to have a much more valid theoretical basis than the notion waiting til after the election will help turnout more Trump voters than simply filling the seat now.

14 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Don't sit back and whine about unfairness or victimhood, don't be weak. Biden needs to add as many justices as it takes to ensure Americans are protected from the type of crazies that would take HC away from 35 million people or end women's control of their own bodies.

The masses are evil

The masses are bad

All you libtards

Get real SAD!

Doncha know how the game is played?

All your liberties are going to fade

Give me a cheer

Give me a shout

This is what elections are all about.

So don't be a grump

Don't be a grouse

Everyone bow to daddy in the big white house!

MSNBC reports Collins says she doesn't believe the Senate should vote on a nominee this close to the election.

Miles away from Murkowski's statement (has she confirmed that since RGB died?) that she wouldn't vote for a nominee. Sounds like the beginning of her usual mealy-mouthed hedging which will lead to a yes vote.

OMG - the press is falling for her crap again and equivocating not supporting the process as a no vote on a nominee.

22 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

MSNBC reports Collins says she doesn't believe the Senate should vote on a nominee this close to the election.

Miles away from Murkowski's statement (has she confirmed that since RGB died?) that she wouldn't vote for a nominee. Sounds like the beginning of her usual mealy-mouthed hedging which will lead to a yes vote.

OMG - the press is falling for her crap again and equivocating not supporting the process as a no vote on a nominee.

Whoa I am shocked.  And .... Appalled!  

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Not sure why you're so hung up on the "threat."  That threat definitely is not gonna stop the GOP from filling the seat.  Obviously Ripp's right, the Dems have no leverage and the only way to acquire leverage is to win the presidency and the Senate.  If they do that, then they just do it.  Don't see why it matters whether they threaten to do it beforehand or not.

All they need to do is spook a few Senators for a few months. Chances of success? Low, but it's probably the only hope.

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

All they need to do is spook a few Senators for a few months. Chances of success? Low, but it's probably the only hope.

I'd say the chances are nil.  Only chance they have is if they wait til after the election, Collins loses and reverses herself (I think she would at that point), and somehow Cory Gardner or Thom Tillis' heart grows three sizes that day after losing reelection.  They'd still have to get Murkowski and Romney as well, which is still far from certain.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'd say the chances are nil.  Only chance they have is if they wait til after the election, Collins loses and reverses herself (I think she would at that point), and somehow Cory Gardner or Thom Tillis' heart grows three sizes that day after losing reelection.  They'd still have to get Murkowski and Romney as well, which is still far from certain.

In a post election nomination scenario, if Democrats sweep the elections, they can absolutely get enough Republican defectors. But absent that, nil is probably correct. 

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Biden's rhetoric seems too close to how Obama did things. I kind of understand Obama's misplaced faith in the system and compromise, but after Trump, I worry because Biden is courting the right, says he will work with them, etc., etc., it seems to me if the courts get "packed," it will be with moderate, maybe even a bit right leaning judges. I add in the "right leaning" as I think Biden will cave to pressure of trying to please everyone.

I hope he truly understands (without saying it) that his Presidency can't be about compromise. It has to be about rebalancing--even tipping--the scales away from the right's stranglehold over policy. There is no reason to even try to negotiate climate change, for example, with the right, and especially if Dems control both houses in Congress. Packing the courts with progressive judges shouldn't even get a second thought from Dems. 

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Whoa I am shocked.  And .... Appalled!  

Well, if the Senate did hold a vote before November, and Collins took a stand and voted no for any potential justice, I wonder if she thinks that might give her a chance to win in November. I don't think it will. The damage was done with Kavanaugh, and she directly let that happen.

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

In a post election nomination scenario, if Democrats sweep the elections, they can absolutely get enough Republican defectors. But absent that, nil is probably correct. 

Of the GOP incumbents that could be lameducks, definitely don't see McSally, Ernst, Daines, or either of the Georgia senators - hence why I mentioned Gardner or Tillis.  Of sitting Senators, can't think of anybody.  I mean...maybe Lamar Alexander?  Anyway, like I said last night, that's another reason to fill the seat before the election.

Archived